Oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading up on peeling nails and I found this. What I would like to know is what kind of oil do you use for number 3?

Thanks, Nash

Hiya

I would be inclined not to offer her a water manicure and suggest hot oil manicures instead. All you need to do is:

1. place some tap hot (not too hot) water in a bowl.
2. place enough oil in a smaller bowl to cover the nails.
3. place this bowl into the bowl with hot water.
4. after you have applied cuticle cream/oil to one hand, place in oil
5. work on the other hand
6. remove first hand from oil and place 2nd hand in
7. dab excess oil off and massage in remainder
8. continue your manicure

Try to keep the nails covered with a polish, whether it be a clear or a colour as this will help to protect them. Also your client will need to help herself by carrying out some homecare.

1. make sure she always uses gloves when washing or cleaning, and in this sort of weather warm gloves when she goes out as winter can play havoc!!
2. Get her to massage a good cuticle oil (Solar oil is brilliant) 2/3 times a day, especially if her hands are in and out of water.
3. patience is going to be a virtue here because it will take time. Try to encourage her to come weekly as first if possible, at the most 2 weekly.

Good luck, I hope you find something useful in here :sunny:

Adele

Hi

When we did this at college we just used almond oil. It is quite a nice treatment really.

Lisa

Hi

When we did this at college we just used almond oil. It is quite a nice treatment really.

Lisa

yeah, so did i. you can then go on to use the oil for the hand and arm massage. Shop around for it though!:D

Hi

Lisa

yeah, so did i. you can then go on to use the oil for the hand and arm massage. Shop around for it though!:D

Thank you for your reply. Would a good olive oil work?

Nash

Thank you for your reply. Would a good olive oil work?

Nash
not in my opinion.. as we are proffessionals so we use proffessional products.. hth

not in my opinion.. as we are proffessionals so we use proffessional products.. hth

What is unprofessional about olive oil? I had a massage at Zen this past week and they use a massage olive oil. They didn't buy it at the grocery store, at least that is what they said. I didn't get the name of the place they ordered it from. Maybe I should call them and ask the owner where she gets it and why she uses it.

Nash

Personally I like to use an oil that contains jojoba oil. One of the reasons I like CND Solar Oil is because it contains jojoba, but it's a bit expensive for hot oil treatments. I'm using my facial massage oil which is jojoba with essential oils of Chamomile, Lavender, Cedarwood, Lime & Rosewood.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is unprofessional about olive oil? I had a massage at Zen this past week and they use a massage olive oil. They didn't buy it at the grocery store, at least that is what they said. I didn't get the name of the place they ordered it from. Maybe I should call them and ask the owner where she gets it and why she uses it.

Nash
great idea! Lol, i always rush my geeking time, edited to add that i meant by "great idea" was in relation to your last sentence. I bet she prob would say she gets it from woolies or tescoes (uk equivalent) and she uses it cos its cheap as chippies??
Love for u to ask her!
I love olive oil...in salds and for my cooking. Freaking fantastic stuff..for food that is..beauty treatments,no.

Last edited:
I use grape seed oil alone or mixed with almond oil and jojoba.

I haven't tried olive oil. I think I read somewhere that olive oil and mineral oils have big molecules and cannot penetrate in the skin, they stay in the surface.

But what I found recently is the Warm O Lotion by Gena, it has really thick consistency and when warmed it melts and it really makes the skin smooth.
I love it for hot treatments.

What 'Chels is saying I agree with, what is Pro about using Olive Oil? Nothing! If its an oil specifically formulated for use in massage etc then fine, but I cook food with Olive Oil.

I use Solar Oil from CND fab stuff!

hth's xxx:hug:

Personally I like to use an oil that contains jojoba oil. One of the reasons I like CND Solar Oil is because it contains jojoba, but it's a bit expensive for hot oil treatments. I'm using my facial massage oil which is jojoba with essential oils of Chamomile, Lavender, Cedarwood, Lime & Rosewood.

What a great idea. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Nash

I use grape seed oil alone or mixed with almond oil and jojoba.

I haven't tried olive oil. I think I read somewhere that olive oil and mineral oils have big molecules and cannot penetrate in the skin, they stay in the surface.

But what I found recently is the Warm O Lotion by Gena, it has really thick consistency and when warmed it melts and it really makes the skin smooth.
I love it for hot treatments.

I will see if I can find this Warm O Lotion by Gena. Sounds like a great lotion if it makes the skin smooth.

Nash

What 'Chels is saying I agree with, what is Pro about using Olive Oil? Nothing! If its an oil specifically formulated for use in massage etc then fine, but I cook food with Olive Oil.

Nothing in the world beats Solar Oil from CND for this treatment AND you do not have to use loads of it. As long as the cost of your oil is covered by your price of service then price is not an issue. For almost 30 years SolarOil has been the professional choice and it is the best there is.

I have to agree. I remember feeling kind of strange when I asked what oil they used and she said olive oil. When she said it was a massage olive oil I thought maybe there was something out there in the way of massage oil I didn't know about.

I am going to call her today and ask her about it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Nash

Nothing in the world beats Solar Oil from CND for this treatment AND you do not have to use loads of it. As long as the cost of your oil is covered by your price of service then price is not an issue. For almost 30 years SolarOil has been the professional choice and it is the best there is.

I have the little tiny solar oil that I give to my clients and they love it. I will look into using this one as well.

Thanks, Nash

I have the little tiny solar oil that I give to my clients and they love it. I will look into using this one as well.

Thanks, Nash
Once you get it Nash, you will realise how fab it is, then you might want to get the whole range!!!
Solar butter, manicure, silk, balm, spray, its all delicious, and so nourishing (sp).

Do you currently use a cuticle oil then? If you retail the mini solar oil to your clients, what are using on them?

Once you get it Nash, you will realise how fab it is, then you might want to get the whole range!!!
Solar butter, manicure, silk, balm, spray, its all delicious, and so nourishing (sp).

Do you currently use a cuticle oil then? If you retail the mini solar oil to your clients, what are using on them?

Yes, I do use a cuticle oil. I use OPI. I was not aware of all the choices that you mentioned above. I will have to look into them. Are they all CN products?

Nash

Yes, I do use a cuticle oil. I use OPI. I was not aware of all the choices that you mentioned above. I will have to look into them. Are they all CN products?

Nash
Yes they are all CND products, available from Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060.

I am in the US. I just called PBS here that I buy my stuff through and asked if they had these items and she said yes and they also have a kit. I am on my way down there to get it.

Thanks for your help everyone,
Nash

When you do warm oil manicures do you charge extra for it?

If a client comes in for a manicure and you suggest the warm oil how do you approach the client about paying more, if you charge more?

Nash

Latest posts

Back