Oily nails & Gellux

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMT2023

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I’m a newly qualified nail tech, have been doing my own gels and painting for some years but taken the plunge to go professional!
I have done a couple of clients and after 3/4 dayson a couple fingers mostly thumbs, they have a couple of chips & one has lifting…. The two clients in question one has a newborn so I would assume baby wipes have an effect on this as I remember this myself when I had my baby… the other is an osteo so is using a small amount of oil whilst she helps her clients.

I am using gellux and use the fast bond but wonder if anyone can offer any advice for longevity?
Thankyou so much ❤️

Are you using a matched system? Ie. Are you using the recommended lamp for the gel polish? Incorrect cure will cause product breakdown. Thumbs can be notoriously tricky, Are they positioned correctly in the lamp? Do they need curing separately? Oils shouldn't cause lifting, we generally encourage clients to use cuticle oil as part of home maintenance.

The newborn thing could be a red- herring- yes it could be wipes, sudocreme, etc. but it could equally be the change in hormones post partem.

Are you using a matched system? Ie. Are you using the recommended lamp for the gel polish? Incorrect cure will cause product breakdown. Thumbs can be notoriously tricky, Are they positioned correctly in the lamp? Do they need curing separately? Oils shouldn't cause lifting, we generally encourage clients to use cuticle oil as part of home maintenance.

The newborn thing could be a red- herring- yes it could be wipes, sudocreme, etc. but it could equally be the change in hormones post partem.

Thankyou… yes using the gellux branded lamp. The oil she uses on clients would be similar to that of massage oil so would assume is different to cuticle oil properties? also will be using hand sanitizer much more frequently than the everyday person as has to hand sanitise after Each touch of a client even if same person would this also affect? I found when doing her nails initially her thumbs would not cure well in the bottom corner so indicated they are oily In these corners, when we chatted she said when she runs she rubs those corners and also when doing her treatment the oils rubs across that area of the thumb??
For the newborn mummy hers are chips on thumbs so think this would suggest it is something she is doing herself here?
These are the only two clients I’ve had this with so far others ok

Nope, fundamentally oil is oil, especially those used for massage, they will be of better grade than most, therefore at least as good if not better than some cuticle oils available.

'Oily' nails, whilst regularly cited by people as an excuse, are actually very rare in reality. It's usually a prep issue.

Hand sanitiser has been an issue in the pandemic but I would assume a massage therapist would have been using it pre-pandemic anyway as part of her hygiene routine.

If the thumbs are not curing in the bottom corner it suggests the light is not reaching this area correctly, it'd be checking hand positioning and/ or curing separately to rule out insufficient cure.

New Mums thumbs? I see a pattern of thumb issues, see above. It could also be nappy sticky tabs, opening times, bottles, etc.

Nope, fundamentally oil is oil, especially those used for massage, they will be of better grade than most, therefore at least as good if not better than some cuticle oils available.

'Oily' nails, whilst regularly cited by people as an excuse, are actually very rare in reality. It's usually a prep issue.

Hand sanitiser has been an issue in the pandemic but I would assume a massage therapist would have been using it pre-pandemic anyway as part of her hygiene routine.

If the thumbs are not curing in the bottom corner it suggests the light is not reaching this area correctly, it'd be checking hand positioning and/ or curing separately to rule out insufficient cure.

New Mums thumbs? I see a pattern of thumb issues, see above. It could also be nappy sticky tabs, opening times, bottles, etc.
She uses the following: grape seed oil or an arnica based balm

She uses the following: grape seed oil or an arnica based balm

All good things for cuticles, skin and nails, I see no issues there

Thankyou. I am redoing the thumb in question later today so hopefully this will be ok… it isn’t every set I have done just these two so hopefully just bad prep perhaps

If it’s the inside corners, I’d lay bets on opening items with her thumb nails, just as Trinity suggested. Trying to balance a baby with one hand and using the other to flip a lid or resort to using your teeth, it’s the bane of young motherhood.

Latest posts

Back