Oily nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravegirl

Reaction score
so before i left my training today, i was told to go home and research what would you do if a client came in with oily nails, my answer is to do extra prep work with the buffing shine off and use a few extra brushes of bondaid (we use opi there) am i right or is there more to what i should be focusing on?

And possibly a nail dehydrater?xx

Prep work is key. Not seen oily nails myself in 7 years but my guess for your course would be the normal.
You would buff off the shine, and use a dehydrater to take surface oil off the nail xx

I have been a nail technician for 10 years and I have never had a client with "oily nails", only clients telling me that their last tech had told them they had "oily nails" and that's why their enhancements didn't last. Good prep from me apparently cured their "oily nails":lol:

Nails do not have the necessary equipment to produce oil on their own. I think the symptom is a myth.

There is no such thing as oily nails as nails do not have sebaceous glands.

It makes me laugh hearing the term oily nails, normally comes along side " you need to let your nails breathe"... Hmmm didn't realise my nails sweat and breathe. Clever little things :D

i guess it was a trick question then thanks :)

They possibly mean from hand cream, daily dirt and grime etc , so I de say extra prep ,possible dehydrator (depending on which system your using) and getting clients to wash and thoroughly dry hands hth x

I think the term "oily nails" has been taken to literally both from techs and clients.
The term puts images in minds that the nails themselves are producing oil, hence oily nails but as already stated, the nail can not product oil as it has no sebaceous glands.

I do think what it means though is exactly what again has already been mentioned, grot and grime from outside sources sitting on the nail and making it appear oily and of course the cuticle as it grows out along with the nail.

So yes, a thorough prep is indeed needed to ensure a clean surface and this should include a dehydrator to balance out the Ph of the nail surface ready for application of primer (if the system has a primer) and product.
It should also include a cuticle remover and cleanser too.

To many techs just remove shine with a file and think this is all the prep they need to do and then when the enhancements don't last, they use the excuse of "oh, you have oily nails" instead of taking a good look at themselves and if they are doing a thorough job.

I think the term "oily nails" has been taken to literally both from techs and clients.
The term puts images in minds that the nails themselves are producing oil, hence oily nails but as already stated, the nail can not product oil as it has no sebaceous glands.

I do think what it means though is exactly what again has already been mentioned, grot and grime from outside sources sitting on the nail and making it appear oily and of course the cuticle as it grows out along with the nail.

So yes, a thorough prep is indeed needed to ensure a clean surface and this should include a dehydrator to balance out the Ph of the nail surface ready for application of primer (if the system has a primer) and product.
It should also include a cuticle remover and cleanser too.

To many techs just remove shine with a file and think this is all the prep they need to do and then when the enhancements don't last, they use the excuse of "oh, you have oily nails" instead of taking a good look at themselves and if they are doing a thorough job.

I agree with everything you've said. There have been a lot of questions on here over the last couple of years where other geeks have suggested that the client maybe had oily nails as a solution for why enhancements lift. This leads me to believe that there are lots of techs out there who think this is possible. As you say, they all need to look at their prep.

i guess it was a trick question then thanks :)

I wonder if this is a trick question or if you will need to correct your tutor and his/her materials?

Would applying extra bond aid not be a bad idea? We are educated to apply primers and bonders sparingly so I would think you could potentially overexpose the client.

I agree with everything you've said. There have been a lot of questions on here over the last couple of years where other geeks have suggested that the client maybe had oily nails as a solution for why enhancements lift. This leads me to believe that there are lots of techs out there who think this is possible. As you say, they all need to look at their prep.

I wonder if this is a trick question or if you will need to correct your tutor and his/her materials?

Exactly:) Too many techs say this term and use it too much but especially use it as the excuse for problems.
I always go back to prep cause with any problem, it's always best to start at the beginning to sort it out and prep is our beginning:)

Would applying extra bond aid not be a bad idea? We are educated to apply primers and bonders sparingly so I would think you could potentially overexpose the client.

OPI Bondaid (as referred to by the OP) is just a dehydrator.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back