OK so this didn't turn out as planned

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessec2000

Reaction score
Hey,

So I know we have talked about "the Grey" colour till we are literally grey in the face .. But I just would like some opinions as to where I went wrong today [emoji15]

I have attached pics before and after and desired look

I went in and balyage With Wella free lights and 40 lifted to a very gold level 7 , went back in and did back to back slices foiled blondor and 20 vol ... Lifted to level 9 gold .. At this stage the hair really couldn't take any more bleach bit mushy ..

Then used CT 3/0 on roots and Ingora Dove grey on mids and ends ... Yuk yuk yuk went kinda green/grey [emoji40]

Rinsed and dried and applied 7/89 CT with 2/0 result was a lovey silvery ashy blonde ... Not the result I hope for ..[emoji79]

So what would you have done to achieve the desired look ?? I'm guessing I didn't lift the hair enough , but if I had she would have left with her hair in a bag lol..

She is coming back next week what would you do ??
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456516086.581543.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456516113.128365.jpg

Firstly I would of told her you wouldn't of been able to achieve this in one sitting! As I'm guessing the result of lifting twice was very very warm looking at the before picture.

do you have access to olaplex? Because I still possibly wouldn't even attempt to try again next week as your still going to have to lift everything more before you can even try again! It needs to be at least a clean level 10 no yellow whatsoever otherwise you will get your green tone, it happened to me last week on my own hair but I've been on stupid amounts of tablets and antibiotics and stuff!

I would of took a cutting before she left today so you can see if you could lift it to what it needs to get to. I would try and get one if you can!

The best toner I've used to remove any yellow tones is igora 0-11 so keep this in mind x

Firstly I would of told her you wouldn't of been able to achieve this in one sitting! As I'm guessing the result of lifting twice was very very warm looking at the before picture.

do you have access to olaplex? Because I still possibly wouldn't even attempt to try again next week as your still going to have to lift everything more before you can even try again! It needs to be at least a clean level 10 no yellow whatsoever otherwise you will get your green tone, it happened to me last week on my own hair but I've been on stupid amounts of tablets and antibiotics and stuff!

I would of took a cutting before she left today so you can see if you could lift it to what it needs to get to. I would try and get one if you can!

The best toner I've used to remove any yellow tones is igora 0-11 so keep this in mind x

Yes I can get my hands on olaplex ..[emoji108]

So would you go in and lift again , tone with 0-11 then try the grey again?

It was as warm as the burning sun [emoji91][emoji295]️lol

The 0-11 will only work if it's just yellow tones it won't work if there is any orange in there you would have to rethink the toner!

Get her back do some test cuttings tell her to be using treatments on her hair in the mean time and go from the test cuttings but still I wouldn't promise her anything until you've done some tests! X

If you have olaplex then I would first do at least one stand alone treatment and if the hair feels stong enough then relighten with olaplex in the lightener.

When you balayage you always lose a level of lift in comparason to foiling plus you are working on coloured hair so you would lose an extra level or two levels of lift, so by using lighter and 40vol in this way you are not getting enough lightening vs the amount of damage from the 40vol. Next time I would have gone in with 30vol + olaplex (making a 20vol) and use a teasing/backcombing method in foils so that you can let it lift without too much worry about it breaking before you have enough lift.

Having said that you always have to be realistic in consultation for grey hair. It can take multiple sessions if lightened gently and is high maintenence.

If you can lift the ends with olaplex to at LEAST a level 9, then tone then first with a violet based toner to neutralise the undertone (stops the final tone looking khaki) then reglaze with a grey/ blue/ black based grey toner. You will also probably need to deepen the remaining hair closer towards the scalp to subdue the warmth there too (do this lastly to see how much warmth the toner takes out, and the paint it and smudge it down in a root stretch).

Post photos after it will look great :)

If you have olaplex then I would first do at least one stand alone treatment and if the hair feels stong enough then relighten with olaplex in the lightener.

When you balayage you always lose a level of lift in comparason to foiling plus you are working on coloured hair so you would lose an extra level or two levels of lift, so by using lighter and 40vol in this way you are not getting enough lightening vs the amount of damage from the 40vol. Next time I would have gone in with 30vol + olaplex (making a 20vol) and use a teasing/backcombing method in foils so that you can let it lift without too much worry about it breaking before you have enough lift.

Having said that you always have to be realistic in consultation for grey hair. It can take multiple sessions if lightened gently and is high maintenence.

If you can lift the ends with olaplex to at LEAST a level 9, then tone then first with a violet based toner to neutralise the undertone (stops the final tone looking khaki) then reglaze with a grey/ blue/ black based grey toner. You will also probably need to deepen the remaining hair closer towards the scalp to subdue the warmth there too (do this lastly to see how much warmth the toner takes out, and the paint it and smudge it down in a root stretch).

Post photos after it will look great :)

Thanks for the amazing reply [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Ok so here it is [emoji1]..

There are some patchy parts , which I can't understand as I really did saturate the hair , but all in all very pleased ... What do you think??
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1457123890.348389.jpg

Looks amazing, how did you end up doing it?

Looks amazing, how did you end up doing it?
Thank you [emoji8]

I balyaged in foils globally , then toned with luo p01 for 15 mins , rinsed and dried , then applied 2/0 roots stretched it out then applied 8/81 with a dot of 2/0 to mids & ends.

Then olaplex treatment

Love it well done you!! X

I really struggle with 8.81 never seems to work for me! X

Wow that's really good for 2 sittings I'd always say 3-4 to cover my back

Wow I love it xx

I really struggle with 8.81 never seems to work for me! X
Yeh me too you have to really weigh out to get your formula sooo accurate otherwise goes too bluey..

Latest posts

Back