Olaplex (and other products) potentially banned under new EU laws - hoax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassystylist25

Lower paid psychologist
Reaction score
Not sure where we stand in the EU at the mo but under new rules the ingredient Butyphenyl Methylpropionol will be banned from 1st March 2022.
Olaplex contains this ingredient (as do many other products).
I wonder if there is any truth in this, hoping it is a hoax. I’ve got over £1k of retail stock sat on shelves!!

Certainly not a hoax and this is indeed being banned under UE law but I believe this will be "not allowed to manufacture products containing" rather than "not allowed to use/sell products containing".

I may be wrong about the above but this has been known for a fair while now so if there's any issue I'd speak with your distributor.

Apologies, I think my last reply was optimistic. From what I've read all products containing Lilial need to be withdrawn from the market after 1 March 2022! Once again I may be wrong so I'd speak to your distributor but from what I can see online it's the sellers responsibility to ensure this happens rather than the wholesaler/distributor.

Is olaplex going to be banned in the uk? Or Europe only?

Is olaplex going to be banned in the uk? Or Europe only?

It's not Olaplex as such but rather a very common ingredient which is being banned, meaning products cannot be manufactured, or sold if they contain this ingredient " Butyphenyl Methylpropionol " after the specified date.

As for the Ban the UK still follows the guidance laid out by the EU in matters of material safety and I imagine we will for a long time coming. For all new products it shouldn't be an issue as most brands will have dropped this from their manufacturing a long time ago (probably when this was first announced) but if you have any concerns I'd advise speaking to your supplier as they'll have all of the relevant details :)

Hi! Does this has anything to do with the fact that no suppliers have the 2L Olaplex Shampoo in stock? I’ve been trying to get it since last year in August but it’s always out of stock. Also one of the suppliers states that this is due difficulties “in sourcing the ingredients”.
Thank you 🙏

Hello I have spoke to our supplier and the EU ban does not apply the UK and it will continue at the moment to be sold. but all product are being reformulated to remove this ingredient. The ingredient I believe is a masking fragrance added to products to make them smell better. Hope this helps.

The ingredient is Lilial, aka butylphenyl methylpropional.

It is found in many toiletries, makeup (eg rimmel face powder, shampoo eg provoke, olaplex pre-formula change Steps 2& 3.

Whilst I cannot say ‘no you will not have fertility issues using olaplex,’ I suggest looking for the 2019 science paper on butylphenyl methylpropional if you are very interested in it.

To sum up what I took from it, it kills rats and guinea pigs at certain higher levels. It also caused them to be infertile at certain levels.

It is for this reason that butylphenyl methylpropional has been classified as Reprotoxic. Reprotoxic means it is a chemical which can cause infertility and damage to foetuses.

That isn’t to say panic stations.

As with any chemical, it’s important to consider that at different levels it will have different effects. Same as when mixed with other chemicals.

For example, the level of butylphenyl methylpropional in Olaplex will not cause these problems alone.

But say you had all these products being used everyday all containing it, eg a shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, got your olaplex done at the salon, did your home olaplex, used your face powder with it in, your body cream, serums, hand creams and so on.... thats when there is a scientific reason to have the ingredient removed from products as the levels COULD cause these fertility and foetal issues. Thats not to say they do. But could....is a big scary word say for someone who has been trying for a baby. Thats why its worrying, so remain calm headed and focus on the science if anyone brings it up and is worried.

Saying this, one of my clients is a beauty scientist and she is not concerned. Both because it is not an active ingredient (its a fragrance), and because its been getting removed from products over the past 5years.

Personally, I dont think any ingredient that can cause harm to a foetus or cause fertility issues should be in any product applied to the body at any level. Which is why I think its great the EU have banned it.

Boots has already had a massive recall and removed all products off the shelves that contain in. I dont doubt other shops will do that same. They obviously care about their customers and dont care that the law here hasn't caught up and are forcing their suppliers to not use it by doing this, which is great.

So, no need to worry, just be sure to check any old products if you have personal stashes (I know a lot of us will have one of THOSE drawers haha), as no doubt some older stuff will have it in the ingredients.

Ive always hated it and recommended clients avoid it anyway as it is a common allergen that we just dont want to flare up our faces with, especially sensitive skins and those that are acne-prone.

When buying Olaplex, if you want to avoid the ingredient in the 1 and 2, as its still legal here, and the old formulation is still allowed to be sold here, you can ask your supplier to swap it for a newer one or just only buy it in person so you can check the back, or email them before you place your order to request it.

Though I wouldnt worry about a one off Olaplex treatment in terms of fertility etc, and no need to return it, just maybe discuss it generally with clients and suggest they check their older bottles of all toiletries products at home in order to reduce the amount they are applying to their bodies; then work on eradicating any products you use that contain the ingredient in future. No point wasting a massively expensive product that is opened, when the client is only going to be using eg provoke at home that has it in or is putting it on their face everyday. If that shampoo they use with it in hasnt caused a problem on its own, Olaplex wont on its own. Again, just using a lot of products with the ingredient in can make levels of the chemical in the body higher and have the potential to be dangerous.

Hope this helps

The ingredient is Lilial, aka butylphenyl methylpropional.

It is found in many toiletries, makeup (eg rimmel face powder, shampoo eg provoke, olaplex pre-formula change Steps 2& 3.

Whilst I cannot say ‘no you will not have fertility issues using olaplex,’ I suggest looking for the 2019 science paper on butylphenyl methylpropional if you are very interested in it.

To sum up what I took from it, it kills rats and guinea pigs at certain higher levels. It also caused them to be infertile at certain levels.

It is for this reason that butylphenyl methylpropional has been classified as Reprotoxic. Reprotoxic means it is a chemical which can cause infertility and damage to foetuses.

That isn’t to say panic stations.

As with any chemical, it’s important to consider that at different levels it will have different effects. Same as when mixed with other chemicals.

For example, the level of butylphenyl methylpropional in Olaplex will not cause these problems alone.

But say you had all these products being used everyday all containing it, eg a shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, got your olaplex done at the salon, did your home olaplex, used your face powder with it in, your body cream, serums, hand creams and so on.... thats when there is a scientific reason to have the ingredient removed from products as the levels COULD cause these fertility and foetal issues. Thats not to say they do. But could....is a big scary word say for someone who has been trying for a baby. Thats why its worrying, so remain calm headed and focus on the science if anyone brings it up and is worried.

Saying this, one of my clients is a beauty scientist and she is not concerned. Both because it is not an active ingredient (its a fragrance), and because its been getting removed from products over the past 5years.

Personally, I dont think any ingredient that can cause harm to a foetus or cause fertility issues should be in any product applied to the body at any level. Which is why I think its great the EU have banned it.

Boots has already had a massive recall and removed all products off the shelves that contain in. I dont doubt other shops will do that same. They obviously care about their customers and dont care that the law here hasn't caught up and are forcing their suppliers to not use it by doing this, which is great.

So, no need to worry, just be sure to check any old products if you have personal stashes (I know a lot of us will have one of THOSE drawers haha), as no doubt some older stuff will have it in the ingredients.

Ive always hated it and recommended clients avoid it anyway as it is a common allergen that we just dont want to flare up our faces with, especially sensitive skins and those that are acne-prone.

When buying Olaplex, if you want to avoid the ingredient in the 1 and 2, as its still legal here, and the old formulation is still allowed to be sold here, you can ask your supplier to swap it for a newer one or just only buy it in person so you can check the back, or email them before you place your order to request it.

Though I wouldnt worry about a one off Olaplex treatment in terms of fertility etc, and no need to return it, just maybe discuss it generally with clients and suggest they check their older bottles of all toiletries products at home in order to reduce the amount they are applying to their bodies; then work on eradicating any products you use that contain the ingredient in future. No point wasting a massively expensive product that is opened, when the client is only going to be using eg provoke at home that has it in or is putting it on their face everyday. If that shampoo they use with it in hasnt caused a problem on its own, Olaplex wont on its own. Again, just using a lot of products with the ingredient in can make levels of the chemical in the body higher and have the potential to be dangerous.

Hope this helps
excellent and informative post many thanks

Latest posts

Back