Olaplex new directions of use: am I the only one who's not happy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenL

Reaction score
Dear all,

Just a short premise: I've already tried discussing this on "Olaplex users" Facebook group, but it was not a genuine experience as it was full of people from Olaplex itself trying to convince me with copy-paste sentences.

Recently Olaplex updated their new directions of use (you find them attached) where its shown changings in the application, time and amount of product.

Finally they succeeded in fixing the "bump up" problem in volumes and time like other competitors already had in the market. It is a nice thing.

Then, there's this sentence "Use half the previous amount, get amazing results and get twice as many applications. This cuts your cost per application in half"

At a first look this seems also to be a nice innovation, but this made me think.

Does this means I wasted half of my money, half of the product and half of its value because their chemists and technicians were... wrong? And they realized it after 60.000.000 applications? WOW o_O.
They didn't even changed a coma in the formula!

I know talking about money is not polite but, for a small salon like mine, expenses of this kind are something too important for not being considered.

It's just like if a taxi driver always brought me through the longer and slower way and all of a sudden...
"HEY! Now I can bring you there through the highway other taxi always used! Same price!"
Should I say thanks? ;)

Am I the only one with this odd feeling left after these news?

Thank you for reading this long consideration.

I wish you the best day of your life!

Attachments

• 14141623_724392631059838_6229230991629283381_n.jpg
    14141623_724392631059838_6229230991629283381_n.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 115
This honestly doesn't bother me. It is still the same great product that we all know works and love! The company has just found a better way to get the same results without bumping developers etc... In my honest opinion the company saying that we now save money is just them looking out for us the stylist. In my experience what company would say that if they did not truly care about us "the little guys" when olaplex itself is the little guy... It is a family owned company that truly cares about us the stylist.

I always used it the new way because I diddnt have time to waste waiting for devolpment when using the recomended dose, the info has always been there it's not new, the only new part is the official post, the actual info has been on the users group since day one

I guess I see your point, but things change and we learn as we go along. I had already found on my own that using less worked just fine, but my friend uses a much stronger bleach than I do and she likes to use more Olaplex. It's always been something that we could adapt to our own needs. I'm just grateful that they adapted the official instructions so that new users might have a smoother learning curve.

Dear all,

Just a short premise: I've already tried discussing this on "Olaplex users" Facebook group, but it was not a genuine experience as it was full of people from Olaplex itself trying to convince me with copy-paste sentences.

Recently Olaplex updated their new directions of use (you find them attached) where its shown changings in the application, time and amount of product.

Finally they succeeded in fixing the "bump up" problem in volumes and time like other competitors already had in the market. It is a nice thing.

Then, there's this sentence "Use half the previous amount, get amazing results and get twice as many applications. This cuts your cost per application in half"

At a first look this seems also to be a nice innovation, but this made me think.

Does this means I wasted half of my money, half of the product and half of its value because their chemists and technicians were... wrong? And they realized it after 60.000.000 applications? WOW o_O.
They didn't even changed a coma in the formula!

I know talking about money is not polite but, for a small salon like mine, expenses of this kind are something too important for not being considered.

It's just like if a taxi driver always brought me through the longer and slower way and all of a sudden...
"HEY! Now I can bring you there through the highway other taxi always used! Same price!"
Should I say thanks? ;)

Am I the only one with this odd feeling left after these news?

Thank you for reading this long consideration.

Hi Darren,

I actually helped write the original Olaplex directions including bumping / increasing developer and using the prior measurements. This was based on in-salon experience with Tracey Cunningham on more than 3000 different clients as well as many other stylists that were involved in this testing phase. As we have said all along, less is more.

I personally have used less product for a long time adjusting based on the specific lightener I was using such as 4 levels of lift versus 9 levels of lift. We received extensive feedback from thousands of salons using less product without bumping developer beyond our own internal testing. I'm really sorry to hear this upset you but as a company, we do our best to listen to you the stylist.

We also recently changed perm directions to include adding directly to waving lotion / neutralizer. Our directions has evolved as a company just as we all evolve as stylists every single day. If you ever need anything at all, please feel free to reach out directly. [email protected].

Warm regards,
Jordan Alexander
Vice President of Education
Olaplex LLC

Dear all,
Just a short premise: I've already tried discussing this on "Olaplex users" Facebook group, but it was not a genuine experience as it was full of people from Olaplex itself trying to convince me with copy-paste sentences...

hi Darren. I have been using Olaplex for about a year and a half. I started following when they first developed this new chemistry. I found it almost too good to be true! As I researched more about it and the company I decided to try it. I was-and still am-thoroughly impressed with the product and the company. I have always added a little less and still see benefits. When I joined their user page I found that the educators were always there to answer questions and listen to feedback. I think that through this they have been able to help us as stylists make more money while using a amazing product. What other company ever comes out so transparently and says "Hey! Less is fine! Don't over use it and you make as much and it goes farther!" With new products it's trial and error and I think it's so awesome that they are listening to us, the real stylists, that really use it day to day. It's hard to be heard in this industry if you aren't a big time stylist and I feel they connect with us, the real people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've beer using Olaplex for over a year and have use less from the start. I'm 35 years in and have gone to part time. What I've been most impressed with us how they listen and want to save us money so we can make more. Most company's wouldn't tell you keeping their profits higher due to more sales. Now here's one giving us that opportunity this is extremely rare.

Dear all,
I saw the new directions too. I've been using Olaplex for 2 years now. I took the change of directions as more of a listening to feedback from stylists and finding what has worked best. I'm glad I can now use less and make more $.

Hi Darren,
I actually helped write the original Olaplex directions including bumping / increasing developer and using the prior measurements. This was based on in-salon experience with Tracey Cunningham on more than 3000 different clients as well as many other stylists that were involved in this testing phase. As we have said all along, less is more.
So could we use Olaplex in a relaxing treatment as well?

The information about using less has always been there.. olaplex educators have always told us that! can only assume the original official "instructions" were created in effort to make people get through the product quickly and buy more.. to support the growth of a new business?

I think they are the first company who invented this type of product so I don't believe they were holding back this information deliberately I think they put out their product with instructions to produce the best results. Only after time and use of the product they truly knee how much you can use. I'm glad they volunteered this information actually.

Olaplex has done something most companies out there have never done, really- they listened to us, the stylists, using their product, and they found we were using less and getting by just fine.
And they figure why not change it, for the better!
This is still a new company, just over 2 years young, and when they can say, "hey, we heard you" and then changed their instruction because WE changed their instructions, I think that is kind of cool.
I'm all for protecting hair and saving money, by making money.

Olaplex has done something most companies out there have never done, really- they listened to us, the stylists, using their product, and they found we were using less and getting by just fine.
And they figure why not change it, for the better!
This is still a new company, just over 2 years young, and when they can say, "hey, we heard you" and then changed their instruction because WE changed their instructions, I think that is kind of cool.
I'm all for protecting hair and saving money, by making money.
I totally agree!

I started using Olaplex 2 years ago, as soon as it was available to me.. I always used as directed, until I saw Guy Tang periscoping and said that you can use less and it will not slow down the timing as much.. I started doing just that unless I was using a more aggressive lightener, or dealing with some seriously compromised hair. Sometimes I even put straight #1 on compromised ends.. I felt the info was always there, and the educators were always so helpful and kind on Facebook!:)

Hi everyone,

I'm new on SalonGeek, I've been informed of this from @francesca26

I'm here because new official instructions kinda confused me more technically than economically (well, now that you show me your pov it is difficult to share other thankful opinions around here...).

We were told that Olaplex is the only real product that creates new disulphide sulphur bonds distroyed by chemicals.
We were told that the patented ingredient inside, is the only 1 working in that precise way.
Now we learn that it is enough using half of it for achieving same results, and also with a different application.
How is this possible?

Finally, I had ur same feeling in "Olaplex users" on Facebook that it is deeply controlled by Olaplex people. I've found not that genuine feedback as you said.

I am worried to find this issue also on this platform.
The fact that both @Sandy17 and @Robin B created their account the same day in 2015 makes me think :confused::confused::confused:

Kerry

Hi everyone,

I'm new on SalonGeek, I've been informed of this from @francesca26

I'm here because new official instructions kinda confused me more technically than economically (well, now that you show me your pov it is difficult to share other thankful opinions around here...).

We were told that Olaplex is the only real product that creates new disulphide sulphur bonds distroyed by chemicals.
We were told that the patented ingredient inside, is the only 1 working in that precise way.
Now we learn that it is enough using half of it for achieving same results, and also with a different application.
How is this possible?

Finally, I had ur same feeling in "Olaplex users" on Facebook that it is deeply controlled by Olaplex people. I've found not that genuine feedback as you said.

I am worried to find this issue also on this platform.
The fact that both @Sandy17 and @Robin B created their account the same day in 2015 makes me think :confused::confused::confused:

Kerry

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the directions update. Olaplex is the only product currently available to repair broken disulfide bonds. The first patent can be found here: http://patents.justia.com/patent/9095518 regarding the chemistry itself. You can look at further patents by researching "Methods for Fixing Hair and Skin" by Dr. Craig J. Hawker / Dr. Eric Pressly. As I mentioned above, the change was based on feedback of stylists worldwide as well as internal testing. I worked to create the initial directions working with Tracey Cunningham and many others. We had based everything on in-salon experience on more than 3000 clients. We've adjusted as time goes on based on these same results such as changing perm directions, addition of adding Olaplex to sodium hydroxide relaxers, etc. As everyone above mentioned, as a company, we have only been on the market publicly for a little over 2 years. Nearly three years for those initially testing. We will continue to listen to stylists worldwide and look into results. Feel free to reach out if you want: [email protected]

Cheers,
Jordan Alexander
Vice President of Education
Olaplex LLC

Latest posts

Back