Olaplex vs Wellaplex vs Smartbond (etc.)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair-Claire

Reaction score
Hi can anyone who has tried these or tried more than 1, recommend and why. I am a freelance stylist but I want to keep up with the times not sure which one to go for. All tips and advice welcome x x

Iv tried olaplex, which I liked, but found it pricy compared to others, that was my only let down, colourphlex from capital, but the smell I just couldn’t get away with, I’m now using silaplex, which I like, and it’s not too expensive either, I just add £10 onto total xx

Only Olaplex has the bond building patents. The others are just conditioners.

This isn’t true- Olaplex is patented to rebuild certain types of bonds in the hair. So the others can also build bonds inside the hair so they are bond reconstructors too not conditioners.

This isn’t true- Olaplex is patented to rebuild certain types of bonds in the hair. So the others can also build bonds inside the hair so they are bond reconstructors too not conditioners.
Really, which broken bonds do they re-build then?
I haven’t read anything that suggests that the other plex’s are anything other than cheap imitations riding on the coat tails of Olaplex.

Olaplex is patented to reconnect and multiply broken disulphide bonds within the hair , it is the only one structurally proven ( as far as I know ) to make new bonds within the hair .
Bond ultim8 ( matrix ) is a bond protector it is apparently meant to protect the bonds during chemical processing, as I think a lot of the other ( plex) treatment s do . As olaplex is patented I very much doubt they work in the same way otherwise they would be sued !

Really, which broken bonds do they re-build then?
I haven’t read anything that suggests that the other plex’s are anything other than cheap imitations riding on the coat tails of Olaplex.

Which probably means it’s information from Olaplex or Olaplex hairdressers. These companies can’t just make up marketing, As the comment above says Olaplex rebuilds the disulphide bonds

If this is the case and L’oreal etc are just conditioning treatments then why are Olaplex suing for Loreal for breaching there patents?

Olaplex are new and independent and not owned by companies like Coty.
I’d rather support small independent companies that do their own research and development than any big multinational that thinks nothing of stealing someone else’s idea and crushing the competition.
That’s not playing fair.

I’d rather support small independent companies that do their own research and development than any big multinational that thinks nothing of stealing someone else’s idea and crushing the competition.
That’s not playing fair.

Small and independent [emoji30][emoji23][emoji15]

They have already sold out to Sephora for retail too

That’s not playing fair.

What colorline do you use?

It’s also important to me to make sure I’m working within my insurance policy so it’s Wellaplex for me

Olaplex has good results but it just takes so long! They have to be at the back wash for about 20 mins. Its good for blondes, hair feels amazing but they do need to use the number 3 to keep it up.

I worked with smartbond.. nothing special, i do believe the same as what everyone else has said, they are just glorified conditioners.

I prefer something a bit more spa like for a conditioner, something that smells beautiful which helps sell!

Small and independent [emoji30][emoji23][emoji15]
They have already sold out to Sephora for retail too

Clients need to be able to purchase ‘number 3’ so I think that’s not in the realms of ‘selling out’ just yet. :)

Clients need to be able to purchase ‘number 3’ so I think that’s not in the realms of ‘selling out’ just yet. :)

Can’t they do that from a trained professional? They claim not to sell online but the distributor in the UK sells to Look Fantastic and Feel Unique- they aren’t a small company at all

Last edited:
Try - chill Ed Plex

I've used both wellaplex and olaplex and ibe had both on my hair. At first I used to go up a level with my peroxide when using olaplex because was the original instructions . I always felt like the hair would still feel like it had been pushed to far ,not as much as it would have without though. So when I started using wellaplex the rep said you didn't have to go up a level when mixing bleach which I loved the though of because it always felt wrong. And it did make the hair feel nice when lifting dark hair but i diddnt notice any differene other than shine . Then a olaplex trainer came to the salon and Said you diddnt have to move up a level anymore as this was advise to suit American measurements. Since then I've used olaplex with the desired percentage rather than jumping a level and i think its Amazing . Also when you read the ingredients list in both products I think that says enough .

Olaplex was made to work with all colour brands, which is why sometimes you had to up your developer where as if your using wellaplex. It was designed to work with the whole range there for you don’t need to up your developer to make it work the same as it would without. Wella plex works differently to olaplex though like olaplex works by filling in the broken bonds the number 2 is essentially the sealer and maintenance and makes the hair feel conditioned where as wella has worked for wellaplex to build a bridge top and bottom of the bond holding it together longer and making the hair feel stronger it doesn’t make your hair feel amazing to touch build internally it’s working better for your hair :)

...olaplex works by filling in the broken bonds the number 2 is essentially the sealer and maintenance and makes the hair feel conditioned ...

No, that’s not really correct.
Number 2 is simply a diluted version of number 1 with added conditioners and number 3 is a more diluted version of number 2 so it will help to maintain the internal hair strength between chemical services.

Wellaplex doesn’t contain the same patented bond building ingredients as Olaplex and is more of a conditioner. I probably wouldn’t bother with it but perhaps choose a protein mask instead.

No, that’s not really correct.
Number 2 is simply a diluted version of number 1 with added conditioners and number 3 is a more diluted version of number 2 so it will help to maintain the internal hair strength between chemical services.

Wellaplex doesn’t contain the same patented bond building ingredients as Olaplex and is more of a conditioner. I probably wouldn’t bother with it but perhaps choose a protein mask instead.

I’ve done courses on each one when they each came out I think I know what I’m talking g about

Latest posts

Back