Olaplex - which mix have you tried?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPerm

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how Olaplex actually works before the No.3 mix arrives over here.

In the meantime, I was wondering about adding a small amount of Olaplex to my leave in spray conditioner. Has anyone tried that and how did you find it? I usually use a leave in conditioner as a cutting lotion.

But will it work OK like that?

I understand that when you mix Olaplex with your tint/bleach, the ammonia opens up the cuticle layer so the Olaplex can get inside to join the single broken bonds together to form new disulphide bonds.

So, if the hair is freshly washed (and conditioned) is the fact that it's damp, enough to swell the cuticle layer so that when you spray the Olaplex/conditioner mix, it can penetrate inside the cortex?

I'm feeling tired so I'm probably rambling and not making much sense... o_O

That's a cool idea!

They say you can use No.2 as a cutting lotion!

That's a cool idea!

They say you can use No.2 as a cutting lotion![/QUOTE
I'm trying to figure out how Olaplex actually works before the No.3 mix arrives over here.

In the meantime, I was wondering about adding a small amount of Olaplex to my leave in spray conditioner. Has anyone tried that and how did you find it? I usually use a leave in conditioner as a cutting lotion.

I understand that when you mix Olaplex with your tint/bleach, the ammonia opens up the cuticle layer so the Olaplex can get inside to join the single broken bonds together to form new disulphide bonds.

So, if the hair is freshly washed (and conditioned) is the fact that it's damp, enough to swell the cuticle layer so that when you spray the Olaplex/conditioner mix, it can penetrate inside the cortex?

AcidPerm from what I understand the hair shaft should be clear of product,I do a clarifying shampoo first to make sure,so if you add it to conditioner it may not be able to work would be great if it did.I dont think that the cuticle needs to be open for it to work,or the stand alone wouldnt penetrate. Olaplex shouldnt be used in a spray because its irritating to the lungs apparently. Hope ive got all this right as you said its late.

Hi AcidPerm,I dont think the cutlcle needs to be open for olaplex to work,or the stand alone wouldnt work. From what I understand the hair shaft needs to be free of product,I do a clarifying shampoo first to make sure,conditioner would act as a barrier. Olaplex can irritate the lungs so shouldnt be used as a spray,on olaplex users,anyone thats done that coughed there lungs up.hope ive got this all right as you said its late:)

I think what your saying makes sense. There is no evidence that using olaplex and allowing to sit overnight or all day is more beneficial but anecdotal evidence suggests that it would work. I think we meed to clarify if your talking about 1 or 2. Personally, i love the no. 1 mixed with water as a stand alone treatment.

Love Olaplex but I'm finding the extra timing a bit weird but getting used to it. I'm putting it in everything in bleach and then in to a toner straight after is my favourite and then cutting the hair with no2 works well for me as i dont have to leave my client sitting at the basin.
Ive mixed 1/4 oz in to a half full bottle of KMS silk sheen and its nice.

This is all great to read. I've decided to not use Olaplex in my bleach retouches. 1 hour and 15 minutes this week and still not a clean 10 on one of my regulars. I used 1/8 ounce to 60g of Blondor cream bleach with 6%.

I got told that once number 2 is on you're not allowed to touch the hair?! You have to have your client sat with wet hair for a minimum of 10 mins?

I got told that once number 2 is on you're not allowed to touch the hair?! You have to have your client sat with wet hair for a minimum of 10 mins?

It says in the instructions you can leave it on and use as a cutting lotion

I asked my A and F rep if I could cut while no. 2 was on. And she said no! [emoji35]

Does anyone know what the shelf life is?

It's just me in the salon atm and I want it but doubt I'll use the WHOLE bottle that quick. X

This is all great to read. I've decided to not use Olaplex in my bleach retouches. 1 hour and 15 minutes this week and still not a clean 10 on one of my regulars. I used 1/8 ounce to 60g of Blondor cream bleach with 6%.
Could it be because you diddnt bump the developer & the ratio should have been 1/4 oz per 30g bleach?

I haven't used it yet but was chatting to the rep yesterday & wrote down what he said I'm just reading off my sheet x

I asked my A and F rep if I could cut while no. 2 was on. And she said no! [emoji35]

It's just me in the salon atm and I want it but doubt I'll use the WHOLE bottle that quick. X
You will if u do stand alone treatments, you only get a surprising amount of applications! There's 2 options tho the big kit or the trial kit

@kahuna did you get trial size?

@kahuna did you get trial size?
Well I have done root touch up on myself now, and two clients im base 5 and notoriously hard to lift so as its my hair I used 4.5 ml of olaplex and 9% it lifted the best it ever has in 40 mins no tingling at all and so clean! Now my clients still 4.5 but with 6% one base 6 one base 7 both fantastic condition and lifted roughly 30 -40 mins. I tried thesmaller amount of olaplex after reading on olaplex users how much trouble on processing time some stylists were having , and having to do one set of full highlights twice ! At the full amount. Hope this helps:)

You definately can cut with no 2 on, it saves masses of time. As a treat ive been doing deep moisturising mask after the treatment and popping them under the climazone,they feel really pampered,and it addresses any dryness issues,because olaplex only works on the inside.

Wow! Sorry to hear that! I honestly haven't seen that kind of retardation of lift.

It was weird. Last time I used Olaplex with blondor and 6% and it was fine. I think I used 1/16th though with my mix. Her hair felt great though!

It was weird. Last time I used Olaplex with blondor and 6% and it was fine. I think I used 1/16th though with my mix. Her hair felt great though!
Could she have had something on her hair Sugarplumfaery that the bleach couldnt cut through?

Do you know it is possible. She's one of my closest friends and my toughest client. She cannot handle the slightest bit of gold. It lifted to a 9 and 3/4... If there is such a level! I toned with 10/8 and pastel. Sometimes I use 9v in shades eq. It was pretty white but she literally inspects with a microscope lol!

Latest posts

Back