Old and worn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beck

Arty geek
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my very first post :) i have been reading all the excellent advice for about a week now and i have a question of my own, if you wouldn't mind :oops: i do new sets of nails and they look great when i finish, but infills don't go as well. i have regular clients that never have anything wrong and are a dream to work on, but a few come to me with three nails missing and generally look quite worn, and old :( i did some infills today and three nails missing! no damage to the natural nail, just came clean off!

I have done alot of reading on this site and think it is fab :p :p but i can't seem to figure out why some are perfect every time and a couple others have problems.

can anyone give me any suggestions, it makes you feel bad seeing your creations like that.

P.S why does L&P crystallise when the temp is warm enough :?:

thanks guys

beck said:
a few come to me with three nails missing and generally look quite worn, and old :( i did some infills today and three nails missing! no damage to the natural nail, just came clean off!

This is what I refer to as 'sheeting'. It means that little to no force was needed for the complete loss of adhesion between the enhancement and the natural nail plate.
This is almost solely down to massive oil and or contaminants being left behind before application. It most likely occurs ALWAYS after a full set or a replacement.
DOuble check your prep and make sure you a being very thorough. If you are using ScrubFresh... make sure you are using it for at least 5 seconds per nail.

My next Scratch article is on this very subject (unless I swap it last minute ;) )

beck said:
P.S why does L&P crystallise when the temp is warm enough :?:
thanks guys

Crystallising occurs when the monomer begins to reach freezing point during polymerisation (curing). Many monomers freezing point is around 40 degrees F (about 5 degrees C).
Some monomers (i.e. Retention+and Radical) can not crystallize as their freezing points is lower than -80F.
What you are most likely seeing is frosting which occurs when a draught hits a monomer rich surface. THis will cause rapid evaporation of the monomer resulting in a sugar like coating to the enhancement.

Hope this helps ;)

thanks for the advice , i do spend alot of time on my prep, but i will make sure i scrub for 5 secs on each nail. does it make a diff that i use star nails and not creative? i have read alot on this site about creative, and everyone seems to love it! would it make a diiference to the sheeting problem i wonder?

Not sure as I haven't used their PREP system.
Isn't their version of ScrubFresh simply a spray on sanitiser? If so... be aware that you will not be able to clean the plate as well with a spray... you need to be able to really 'scrub' the nail.

yes it is a spray sanitiser, but i spray it onto a nail wipe and then scrub the nail, i am wondering if i could buy the scrub fresh and use that as my sanitiser?

you shouldnt have a problem as there are not such heavy restrictions on ScrubFresh... the restrictions are primarliy on L&P. You would be best to contact the Customer Care Department on 0113-275-5719 to ask about setting up a secondary account.

thanks for that, you give such good advice, and what a brill web site :D you may just have saved me a client!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back