Old Wives Tales ... save fingernail clippings!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Premium Geek
Reaction score
There are many Old Wives Tales, I know, but this is the first time I've heard of this one!

FINGERNAILS
IT IS BAD LUCK TO CUT YOUR FINGERNAILS ON FRIDAY OR SUNDAY. FINGERNAIL CUTTINGS SHOULD BE SAVED, BURNED OR BURIED.

Are we supposed to have a recycling bin for nail clippings as well?!?!?!?!?!

This is not just an old wife's tale, it is a belief and ritual held by the pagans, the same applies to hair too :hug:

This is not just an old wife's tale, it is a belief and ritual held by the pagans, the same applies to hair too :hug:

I didn't know that ... you learn something new every day though don't you?

My mum never used to let me cut mine when I lived at home on a Friday! And as far as I know she will still put off cutting them if its a Friday!! However she doesnt keep them to burn or bury.
I never realised this was a ritual, thanks for sharing. x

a bit long but i found this

Skin and Toe Nails

Superstitions associated with skin and toe nails include avoiding cutting them on Holy Innocents Day. The moon is considered by many as an important influence in nail and hair growth. Nails should be cut when the moon is on the increase, if you want to make them grow strong. Corns on the other hand can only be cut successfully if done after the moon is on the wane. Picaso kept his hair and nail clippings dated and in a safe place in fear they should fall into the hands of a witch or warlock. Hair, skin and nails make powerful potions which can be used against the owner. A popular habit was to burn toe nail pairings for luck. A common belief was if you throw toe nail cuttings onto the floor or ground you would be forced to pick them up when you die.
The following rhyme was recited to help people choose the right day to have their toe nails cut.
Cut your nails in Monday, cut them for news; (of success)
Cut them on Tuesday for a new pair of shoes;
Cut them on Wednesday, cut them for health;
Cut them for Thursday, cut them for wealth;
Cut them on Friday, a sweatheart to know; (also a good way to avoid neuralgia)
Cut them on Saturday, a journey to go;
Cut them on Sunday, you cut them for evil,
For all the next week you'lle be ruled by the Devil.

This ritual is still being observed by many native americans. We have quite a few ladies who collect their hair after it has been cut and keep their nail trimmings or ask for their disposeable mat after a manicure if they were just filed or shaped.

I asked why and their belief was their clippings must be spread in sacred locations to protect the little people who bless and guard them. If their hair and nail clippings are laid out in these locations it drives away the demons or those who wish harm upon them.

Very interesting to me.

Latest posts

Back