Older students

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balance Andover

Reaction score
Hello

At the college where I am doing my level 2 beauty we have a level 2 hair student who is 65 years old, she's recently retired and has taken up hairdressing with no previous experience so she can continue to work from home, she looks amazing, very well groomed.

What is the age and story of the oldest student that you have met?

Sorry this has nothing at all to do with your post but how cute is your pooch!!!! My mum has a schnauzer as well, xx

Probably 53 ish. Just wanting to change their careers and go in a different direction.

I say good for them! :) x

Hello

At the college where I am doing my level 2 beauty we have a level 2 hair student who is 65 years old, she's recently retired and has taken up hairdressing with no previous experience so she can continue to work from home, she looks amazing, very well groomed.

What is the age and story of the oldest student that you have met?

65 wow, good for her! the oldest student I've met is 52. she's spent all her life raising children and looking after her husband, then last year he announced he was leaving her for another woman! That prompted her to fulfil her lifelong ambition of becoming a hairdresser...she is such a kind lady and a real inspiration to me :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I find this really interesting as I would love to train to be a hairdresser but felt like I might be too old? I'm 30. Do you think it's doable? I'm living in Denmark at the mo but will be returning to the uk in the next couple of years, would I be out of my depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trained years ago and left the business, but have decided to go back but this time work for myself and I'm 40. I have done a few refresher courses and I wasn't the oldest that was an amazingly glamourous granny who was 50 +. the only problem I had was that I was there for a specific reason and put in a lot of effort, but a lot of the younger students had no respect for the lecturer, didn't put the work in etc and it was so annoying. But basically you are never, ever too old to learn something new. I say go for it :green: x

50s is the oldest I know of. Your never too old for anything is my belief, my mum and aunt are both in their 60s and both go to town, get drunk, sick up in a taxi and fall over, I'm 23, my cousin is 18 and we have no problem going on nights out with them, even our friends love nights out with them yet I have clients in their 50s saying they are too old for town.
Good on the lady doing her course at 65, why shouldn't she, the saddest part is she has left it until now to go for something she has probably wanted to do for years.

Chico holy, as above, no one is ever too old, if you were over 100 your still young enough to learn, go for it or forever regretted not trying. Xoxo

I'm the oldest student in my level 3 nails group, Infact I'm older than the tutor lol.
I'll be 41 on Tuesday ;)

In my level 2 nails group last year there were 2 women older than me, one left after a few weeks in, the other continued till the end but often said she had no idea why she was doing the course as she probably wasn't going to actually do nails - I think she thought it would a simple breeze of sticking on nails and learning how to paint them. She kept her word and doesn't do anything nails now.

I did my level 2 nail technology 3 years ago and there was only one person older than me. I haven't done anything with nails until recently. I'm just gaining experience on friends at the mo but would love to set up mobile when i return to the uk. I get what you mean though about younger ones not taking it seriously. One girl didn't like the thought of working with feet.

I also want to do beauty therapy, I was about to start level 2 in beauty therapy (had even paid for the course) when we had to move with oh's job so never got to do it. Hopefully in a couple of years......

I was 57.
And I have a Schnauzer!

Not hair or beauty related, but I'll be 53 by Christmas and I'm studying mathematics - I'd like to do a PhD if I'm good enough, just hope dementia doesn't set in first! :)

On the subject of dementia. A salon I was in had a client that had some form of dementia, hereditary. Her mum and brothers all died young (under 45) from it. They weren't what you would call thick but didn't have from what I have heard mentally challenging jobs. The client was almost 60. After speaking to my doctor (my mum works for the surgery, and it just happens he's a world renowned expert and researcher in dementia) he believes her longer than expected in comparison to her family is down to her having very mentally challenging jobs and continually educating herself by doing courses.
Also a local care home for emi elderly people where an aunt works has noticed people who had mental jobs are the ones most likely to keep active now (although sadly dementia has the better of them) xoxo

We had an 86 year old in my beauty course. Her husband had just passed away and she was feeling lost and lonely so her daughters enrolled her to get her out of the house and give her a bit of company. She was lovely and had lots of fun, though she refused to have a spray tan or bikini wax :). She quit the course after the first semester though, she was feeling better and said she didn't need to be taking up a space on the course that someone else could have as she wasn't intending to work as a therapist.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

We had an 86 year old in my beauty course. Her husband had just passed away and she was feeling lost and lonely so her daughters enrolled her to get her out of the house and give her a bit of company. She was lovely and had lots of fun, though she refused to have a spray tan or bikini wax :). She quit the course after the first semester though, she was feeling better and said she didn't need to be taking up a space on the course that someone else could have as she wasn't intending to work as a therapist.

Haha! Bless her!

I find this really interesting as I would love to train to be a hairdresser but felt like I might be too old? I'm 30. Do you think it's doable? I'm living in Denmark at the mo but will be returning to the uk in the next couple of years, would I be out of my depth?

I was talking about this the other day with my local home-based beauty therapist who is in her fifties - she likes doing courses for the continuing challenges and has recently trained in hairdressing which she will be offering to her clients.

And continuing the dementia theme, research is also suggesting that a socially active lifestyle may help stave off the onset - I need to get out more! :)

Good for them, I say . . . . you are never too old, it's all about attitude. I know some twenty somethings that have no get up and go and some older people absolutely gushing with it!

I'm a big fan of your pooch also!! :Love:

And Happy Birthday for Tuesday Victoriabar

I trained years ago and left the business, but have decided to go back but this time work for myself and I'm 40. I have done a few refresher courses and I wasn't the oldest that was an amazingly glamourous granny who was 50 +. the only problem I had was that I was there for a specific reason and put in a lot of effort, but a lot of the younger students had no respect for the lecturer, didn't put the work in etc and it was so annoying. But basically you are never, ever too old to learn something new. I say go for it :green: x

completely agree with you there,i'm the oldest(38) in my 2nd year hairdressing class and i put my heart and soul into it only to know that i'll end up qualifying at the end of year alongside younger people that do the bare minimum to scrape through.
and its never too late, i worked for years in a career that i grew hate then got to a point where i thought 'what the hell' and i've never looked back x

Latest posts

Back