Ombré gel nails help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicnails101

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some help I have a client tomorrow wanting ombré gel polish nails and I just can’t seem to get it right. I’ve bought an ombré brush and I’ve tried it with a sponge but it doesn’t look right. The sponge isn’t a smooth look and the brush was just rubbish and keeps pulling the polish off rather than blending. I’ve also tried it with a detailing brush but I keep getting lines.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

I had the same problem but its just lots of practise. I manage with the ombre bush and just using the tips.

I had the same problem but its just lots of practise. I manage with the ombre bush and just using the tips.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll practise some more this evening

Make sure if you use sponge that it’s quite fine, with tiny holes, it’s easier to blend. I find the cheap ones with the Brillo pad bit on the back from the supermarket are fab, I chop them onto triangles and cut the Brillo off,
also you probably have already but try patting up and down while also going side to side for the mid section part where the two colours blend, if that makes sense

Oh thank you so much for the tip about sponges. I’ll definetly give those a try. I had a bit more success with a sponge last night so I’ve got my fingers crossed all will be fine for my client

If you have acrylic powders you can use them on the gel polish tacky layer and it makes a beautiful ombre. Young Nails have a great video on it (about 8 minutes in for the gel polish one)

If you don't have acrylic powder then I find using blooming gel where the colours meet helps to melt them together. Use a fine detail brush and place a line of blooming gel across the nail and gently tap, tap, tap up and down between the colours. Give it a few moments to self level before curing. Finish with a wipe top coat as it works better to even out any lines or bumps.

Hope this helps

Work on a matte base so put a layer of matte top coat over your base colour or wipe off tacky layer and buff over lightly. Paint half one colour, half the other. Use a sponge and pat pat pat to blend. Most of the colour might come off but don't worry, just try and get a decent blend. (I don't use anything special, just some cheap face sponges). Dust a fine layer of clear acrylic powder over your first wet ombre layer. Cure. Brush off dust. Now on the sponge, paint half one colour, half the other, then pat pat pat to blend until you're happy. Cure. Repeat this step again if you need to. Then use a nice topcoat to further smooth out the blend x

Thank you everyone for all your tips.
I don’t use acrylic powder but I may look into this. I did the nails yesterday, I used a sponge and I was quite pleased with result considering it was for my first attempt. I’ll post a picture, any feedback would be great. Thank you x

Attachments

• 18E8CEA5-48AA-4738-BF77-9109762D4BC6.jpeg
    18E8CEA5-48AA-4738-BF77-9109762D4BC6.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 115
Looks good! As you're sponging try and pat up and down slightly at the blend so it's even more seamless x

I will do thank you for the advice x

Watch the manicure company video for ombré gel nails. It’s really helpful x

Latest posts

Back