Ombré colour trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emsiekerr

Reaction score
Hi all. I haven't done many ombres and am trying to always further my knowledge on the best way to do them. The ones I've done up to now I feel have been okay but could always be blended better. I did one last week I did : a level 6 at the root then a level 7-8 then bleach 9% on the ends. I put the dark on first, went back through and combed each section, then slightly overlapped the bleach onto the colour and smudged it in a little hoping it would blend more. However, where it had overlapped I got about half an inch of an orangey colour. Is this because I used a permanent colour that was too dark etc? I've read on threads that overlapping the two can help it blend so much better. I always turn my brush vertically etc but can just never seem to get a really good seamless blend. Any tips anyone? Thanks in advance.

What happens if you mixed a level 6/0 tint with a level 10/0 tint?

You’d get something near to a level 8 colour.

Therefore, if you use tint to do an ombré (using a balayage technique), you can easily smudge the 2 colours together to make a mid tone. Obviously, it helps to do a few test pieces beforehand to see how well the colours blend together as some colours don’t blend well and can end up looking a bit muddy.

When using bleach, you are exposing the underlying pigments so, red - orange - yellow.
After normal bleaching, you are left with the raw colour and more often than not, you’d have to tone the hair to neutralise the excessive orange or yellow tones.

If you apply a strong bleach mix on top of fresh tint, you will lose a lot of the colour pigment in the tint and that’s why it ends up looking too orangey. Instead, blend the tint down into the tip of the bleach rather than brush the bleach up into the tint, so that the blended area is predominantly tint with a tiny hint of bleach.

Thanks AcidPerm! Do you mean do a level 6 blended into a 10 as such then bleach as such or am I reading your comment wrong? A lot of the ones I've already done are where it's already been fairly dark then blended into bleach blonde so i guess that's why I've always gone In with a fairly dark colour to redo them. I generally do the roots and midlengths and then do the bleach and blend that up. So would you suggest putting the bleach on but then going back in with tint to blend the line?

I would apply your Balayage or ombré wash it off then blend in a root another colour and a toner on the ends

Or level 6 and bleach on the ends then when you tone choose two toners to blend into each other

Blend the colour down the shaft so that it only just overlaps the edge of the bleach.

If you apply colour then bleach and blend the bleach upwards, the bleach will be too overpowering.

I would apply your Balayage or ombré wash it off then blend in a root another colour and a toner on the ends

Or level 6 and bleach on the ends then when you tone choose two toners to blend into each other
Thank you! Do you find it's best the blend by just turning your brush vertically or rubbing them together etc?

Blend the colour down the shaft so that it only just overlaps the edge of the bleach.

If you apply colour then bleach and blend the bleach upwards, the bleach will be too overpowering.
Thank you! What do you find is the best method for blending. Just feathering with a brush or rubbing together with hands etc?

It depends on the hair density and what result I want to achieve.
For instance, with an all over type Ombré, I’d probably use my fingers to smudge the colour but if doing a subtle balayage highlight, I’d feather with the side of my brush.
If you’re unsure, definitely grab a head block and practise to get a feel for each technique.

It depends on the hair density and what result I want to achieve.
For instance, with an all over type Ombré, I’d probably use my fingers to smudge the colour but if doing a subtle balayage highlight, I’d feather with the side of my brush.
If you’re unsure, definitely grab a head block and practise to get a feel for each technique.
Thank you! I think I'm going to buy a couple and have a play about !

Latest posts

Back