OMG dont clients/friends drive you NUTS!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twid

Reaction score
Just need to rant! sorry :mad:

I've a client whos become a good friend, she & her daughter were my first ever paying clients many many moons ago! I've been invited to her 50th Bday party tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to give her a Shellac for her birthday - she's been after it for ages but just cant afford it.

I told her last week and she was SOOOOOO excited, she knew what colour and everything she wanted (she's done a lot of study!!). We arranged today at 5pm......... so Im still sitting here waiting for her to arrive (now 5.30 :eek:) no text, no nothing to say where she is. Phoned her daughter shes really cross & has no idea where she is GGRRRR but knows she was picking son up from Uni and reckons he's faffing!

Just heard, she's on her way but goodness only knows when she'll turn up! You think you're being nice and it just bites you in the ass!

Anyone else had anything like this?

Karaxxx

oh i know iv learned that being too nice just doesnt get you anywhere mind you she could genuinely be running late and possibly feeling bad thats the thing when some clients become friends xx

I find it happens more so in my private treatment room rather than a clinic. They must think that because I have a clinic on site at home then I mustn't be busy, fact is if they turn up late and there's not enough time I have to re-book them as I can't have my next client, who will probably be on time, waiting.

I have a good few who are always late, they ring or text at their appointment time to say I'm on my way (10 - 20 miles away). One of my male clients is like that with his dermaroller appointments so he has it done when anaesthetic has only been on for 5 minutes which is not enough. He won't re-book his appt so I have to cut his time short which I hate doing. In all the years I've been treating him he's only turned up once on time and that is with me even reminding him the day before of his appointment time!

yes clients becoming friends is very awkward! i've had it twice and both took the mickey alot, i've since learnt from this mistake and make sure although i class them as friends i still treat them like clients. very hard because you do get close, but so important. i had one and i'd get phone calls at 9.30 at night asking for me to go round at 11 because it was an emergency and she was going on holiday/ special occasion the next day. i also had an awquard one where i went to school with one of my clients sons and we got on really well (as mates) and we were just chatting on facebook and started to text, he was mates with my mates ex and we used to all go out as MATES. we decided to go out for a drink which i genuinely thought it was just as friends, next thing i know hes told his mum i'm his girlfriend and will give her discount?! wtf???? so i politely said i'd only just split up with a long term partner and really didnt want anything at the moment and i was sorry i really thought we were just mates, and that was it, never heard from his mum again. NEVER AGAIN!!! i dont get involved with any of my clients out of work :| ......

Last edited by a moderator:
also i get the timing aswell, im mobile and i get to peoples houses and they wont be there so i'll phone them and their like 'i'm 5mins away! i promise!!!' ....10 mins later phone again..... 'i had to pop into tesco, i'm just coming down the road!!!' another 10mins later and they panoodle round the corner.... x

also i get the timing aswell, im mobile and i get to peoples houses and they wont be there so i'll phone them and their like 'i'm 5mins away! i promise!!!' ....10 mins later phone again..... 'i had to pop into tesco, i'm just coming down the road!!!' another 10mins later and they panoodle round the corner.... x

Oh dear, that's the sort of thing that can have a knock on effect of your whole diary. I travel to various clinics and I was in one of my Manchester clinics and had time to finish up then travel over to Wales. Each client turned up late (first time it had ever happened) then I was stuck in traffic and got to the clinic an hour late and missed my first appt, luckily my second was able to come in later and had her treatment done whilst I had anaesthetic on my third client.

What did you say to your client Dolly 6410? Can you imagine if you had done that, they wouldn't have let you in their house. Although you have to sometimes think you wouldn't have a business without them. x

Oh dear, that's the sort of thing that can have a knock on effect of your whole diary. I travel to various clinics and I was in one of my Manchester clinics and had time to finish up then travel over to Wales. Each client turned up late (first time it had ever happened) then I was stuck in traffic and got to the clinic an hour late and missed my first appt, luckily my second was able to come in later and had her treatment done whilst I had anaesthetic on my third client.

What did you say to your client Dolly 6410? Can you imagine if you had done that, they wouldn't have let you in their house. Although you have to sometimes think you wouldn't have a business without them. x

well exactly, it was 2 and half hours work for about £50 so i thought its worth waiting around for, luckily was my last client of the day so it didnt matter but if i have a client after i say to them on the phone that i have somewhere else to be after and they'll only be able to have one of their treatments and that usually speeds them up, the client that this actually happened to is abit airy fairy anyway, so i just said when she got back 'don't worry, luckily your my last client of the day, otherwise i would of have to of gone and you would of needed to rebook' not rudely, but she then apologised and hasnt done it since. its so awquard, people dont realise your on a timer. i always book out too much time for certain clients because i know they trap with me at the end with conversations and wanting to show me something new they've bought.

Grrrr to the peeeps turning up on time. Some of you know I'm recovering from gallbladder op. I agreed to finalise one of the bridesmaid's dresses this week, in spite of the fact I'm 'off work', as the girl concerned wasn't arriving from oz till mid week. The bride's mum and dad I have done the work for have been so appreciative and charming and accommodating.

I did the fitting on Wed and wanted as much time as poss to fix the dress, knowing I'm not feeling good. Asked if she could come 2pm today. No that was definitely too late, they needed to leave for the Wedding venue well before that. I arranged 1pm, yes that was fine. She eventually turned up 2.30. Had been for my staples out this morning, totally on my knees and waiting for sleep. You need clients though, don't you? At least I didn't have clients waiting.

I just try and remember not to treat people like this myself. As if!

Grrrr to the peeeps turning up on time. Some of you know I'm recovering from gallbladder op. I agreed to finalise one of the bridesmaid's dresses this week, in spite of the fact I'm 'off work', as the girl concerned wasn't arriving from oz till mid week. The bride's mum and dad I have done the work for have been so appreciative and charming and accommodating.

I did the fitting on Wed and wanted as much time as poss to fix the dress, knowing I'm not feeling good. Asked if she could come 2pm today. No that was definitely too late, they needed to leave for the Wedding venue well before that. I arranged 1pm, yes that was fine. She eventually turned up 2.30. Had been for my staples out this morning, totally on my knees and waiting for sleep. You need clients though, don't you? At least I didn't have clients waiting.

oh my god! thats so rude, i've got to go in for an operation in august and i'm really hoping that my clients are understanding, i'm going to pre-warn them when i get a date and try and get them all done the week before so hopefully they can go 2 weeks without anything, i'm going to wales on holiday for 2 weeks to hibernate after, but when i'm back i'm only aloud to do light treatments and i'm not aloud to carry anything heavy, some of my clients will be angels and do whatever they can to help and wont mind waiting, but others arent going to be impressed and i know people will press to have stuff done which i cant do, i'm not going to be aloud to do large waxing areas for 4 weeks! its going to be a nightmare. i hope you get better soon :D i can't imagin having to have staples out!!! or even put in, i pick at everything, i just cant help myself...

Im so glad that its not just me. She finally turned up 55mins late!! I try to put dinner on the table for 6pm and dont take clients again until 6.30, that way the family knows they'll be fed and what time to be around.

By the time I did my thing! we didnt eat till gone 7, everyone was starving - still I dont have to wrack my brain for a pressie for tomorrow night :lol:

Karaxxx

Omg I bloomin knew I knew the name - tis Brit off TSf how are you hunny pie xxx

Omg I bloomin knew I knew the name - tis Brit off TSf how are you hunny pie xxx

hellooooo. Well apart from the op and the awkward customers! One of the girls from the Manchester sewing group popped by with fab flowers and a card this afternoon. Made up for it. Better go before people think I've hijacked the thread Brit!

So glad you are recovering well hunny - I would call too but am 200 iles away now in Norfolk hehe

Will pop into TSf and say a fleeting hello to you all xxx

Dont,,, I run a hair salon at the back off my house.... And again because I work from home clients think I dont have anybody else but them that day always 10 20 mins late and have had friends who are clients bring 2 or 3 off their friends with them and expect me too play host making them teas and cofees the best bit is when their friends then decide they have had enough chatting they will sit in my living room and casually watch t.v drink coffee and put their feet up and i dont even know them .......Had too put my foot down and and explain that my clients can not bring people who do not have an appointment as this is my home aswell as my place off work it beggars belief some times...lol

Dont,,, I run a hair salon at the back off my house.... And again because I work from home clients think I dont have anybody else but them that day always 10 20 mins late and have had friends who are clients bring 2 or 3 off their friends with them and expect me too play host making them teas and cofees the best bit is when their friends then decide they have had enough chatting they will sit in my living room and casually watch t.v drink coffee and put their feet up and i dont even know them .......Had too put my foot down and and explain that my clients can not bring people who do not have an appointment as this is my home aswell as my place off work it beggars belief some times...lol

hahaha this made me giggle! we're moving house and we're looking at one where its got a annexe out the back, and my dads on about making it my office/ spray tanning room so people dont have to worry so much aboutt he mess for spray tan parties, but reading this i duno what id do if people started wondering in with friends and watching my tv haha x

I have a good friend who was initially a good friend of my sister. She is older and went to school with my mum who is no longer with us, so we jokingly call her mum.

Anyway. She decided she wanted a set of nails to go on holiday with, all well and good, and made an appt. She decided to have a 'trial' a few weeks ago to see how she'd get on with them as she doesn't wear them often. No problems there, and she came a bit early to her appt (especially made for her on a Sunday which I don't work, but hey, she's my 'mum').

I charged her my usual price (I usually charge 20% extra if 'out of hours') and she was happy.

She made an appt for a rebalance, which she postponed twice a few hours before she was due, and then said she would just take them off herself! I then get a txt a week later asking if I can infill them for her that evening, but I was flat out and said sorry I couldn't but I could juggle stuff and fit her in the next day, which she was happy about.

So, the next day something came up and I needed to see if I could push her back by 15 minutes and called her to see if this was ok, to which she said, "oh, I was just going to ring you, I only have 3 left anyway, so I'll just take them off and will have a new set for my holiday".

Arrrggghhhhh! When did you know you only had 3 left and were you going to tell me it was pretty much going to be a partial soak and new set??? And she was expecting to pay just for her rebalance!

So I miss out on a payment and potentially fitting someone else in, AND I'd juggled my day to fit her in, but because she's my 'mum' I've let it go, but oh my! People really test you sometimes!

christ family members take the mick the most! and you cant say anything because it'll just be awquard, but you want to because why should they take the mick???
i had a family member the other week, and she was booked out for a whole pamper day, we'd agreed on facial, manicure and massage and then she'd choose some more when i got there and id just take my whole kit in. i got a phone call the night before, at about 9.30, saying she had abit of a cold but was that ok, she didnt want to pass it on to me, i said no no thats fine, iv booked myself out for the whole day so i wont have any clients after. that was all settled. so on the day got there, she lives 30mins away but that was ok, i said 'what are we doing?' she replied' oooo everything' so unpacked the WHOLE van into her front room, set up, and she decided to have her manicure first, chatting away and she never said anything, i painted her nails and i said 'ok wait for them to dry and then we'll go onto the next treatment' she says 'next treatment???' i said 'yes what would you like done next?' and she says 'oh no i'll just have a luxury manicure, i dont want to keep you' (id told her over and over that id booked the whole day out for her) i must of looked abit miffed because she started on about how she had a cold and didnt really feel like a facial or massage, which is fair enough, so i offered a pedicure, which she said no, it was obvious she didnt want another treatment so i packed my stuff up and went.... annoyed just abit?! but i smiled and waved good bye and there was nothing else i could say? so a day which was suppose to result in a wage of about £80 which ok isnt amazing but it was a favour, turned into £19 :eek:

well exactly, it was 2 and half hours work for about £50 QUOTE]

I think you need to put your prices up honey xx

if i send you my website in private message will you look and see if you think my prices are ok? my clients always say my prices are the usual and ones even said i'm on a fine line of being over priced?! i'm moving areas next month and i know its a cheaper area so i'm abit worried because i def dont want to put my prices down x

Years ago when I first started out, I tried both mobile and salon. Until.........back to back, I had two l&p clients, who were friends, that wouldn't permit me in their homes to do their enhancements because of the odor and the dust. I had to do their enhancements OUTSIDE in the sweltering heat. Florida in July is hot as HELL!

Then there was the elderly lady, a friend's mom, who upon seeing me through the peep hole in her door wouldn't let me in saying, "You ain't Tammie Swain? I thought you was white." Seriously. WTF?!

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

Latest posts

Back