omg just had email from Dermalogica

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hypothetically speaking.... as a Dermalogica account holder I can purchase products. The products then belong to me ie. they become my property. I can sell the products at any price I wish (anti-competition law) and to whoever I want to.

I don't see how Dermalogica can stop Boots from selling them.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Having a mother who has recently retired from Boots after 30 years service the one thing she always has maintained is that Boots DO NOT purchase "grey goods".

So I am very confused now regarding this whole thing

Last edited:
Unless Dermalogica's contract with you states that you can't sell it to other retail outlets (and I'd be surprised if it could, legally), then I can't see any flaw in your logic!

Where does it leave the small salons that are selling it???:cry:

ps. Just thinking about why Dermalogica is having a problem tracing the products.

Well the boxed products have a proof of seal sticker on one of the box flaps. You can open the box from the other end. Notice the product has a unqiue ID number in black ink - you can easily rub this off.

maybe dermalogica have sold it to boots themselves but because of complaints from therapists are now trying to backtrack.

although i would think a boots contract could be big enough for derm to not care if some therapists ditch them because of it.

They can stop supplying anyone if they do not sell their product in an appropriate way. Boots must be negotiating with Dermalogica direct - it pays to go direct as it cuts out others in the supply chain and they get the best deal. My husband is a professional buyer and a company of that calibre would not be dealing with dodgy goods! Wake up and smell the aroma.

So angry after spendng thousands of pounds taking on Dermalogica in my new salon, and now the likes of boots are selling it online!:mad:

iv had a email frm dermalogica 2day they are doing all they can to resolve this boots is NOT a authurised stockist and should not be selling it!

I checked out the link Lynne posted and saw this..

Decleor - Boots

That's not suprising as there a number of other outlets that sell Decleor retail products, and Decleor are very open about this as a company. I think we need to differentiate between professional products & those that are retail and realise that the latter are never exclusive. You can often buy Dermalogica products in every other salon down the same high street.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because the kind of people who go into Boots & buy their skincare off the shelf with no guidance are not the kind of people who come to my salon & buy my skincare as a recommendation at the end of their treatment. Mind you, I have had people come to have a Decleor facial off the back of trying their retail products.

well i dont know what to think anymore, hope it gets sorted some one way or another! :cry:

Well here is another scenario to think about. It works both ways.

How do you think the official suppliers of CND feel when their policy is to ONLY sell to and support their professionals when they find their professionals buying from illegal suppliers in the UK (most often stolen goods or bought form dodgy American Websites) who undercut the official prices?? Then Legit suppliers get called GREEDY because their prices are higher than form the people who either steal the products or don't pay import taxes that the legit suppliers have to do??

Two sides of the coin. Do Dermologica salon owners buy from illegal sources or ebay or direct form the States from diverters??? I wonder and would love to know if the same things go on in beauty as in nails.

That's not suprising as there a number of other outlets that sell Decleor retail products, and Decleor are very open about this as a company. I think we need to differentiate between professional products & those that are retail and realise that the latter are never exclusive. You can often buy Dermalogica products in every other salon down the same high street.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because the kind of people who go into Boots & buy their skincare off the shelf with no guidance are not the kind of people who come to my salon & buy my skincare as a recommendation at the end of their treatment. Mind you, I have had people come to have a Decleor facial off the back of trying their retail products.

I totally agree with this.

I used to work in a Decleor spa and there were department stores close by that stocked the range plus the internet and I reguarly sold over £1000 worth of products each month. If you are passionate about a range and the client picks up on your enthusiam they will want that product now, they can't be bothered to drive across town to get it a couple of pounds cheaper and don't want to wait up to a week to get it delivered.

Of course there will always be clients that will go elsewhere to get it cheaper. If Tesco had all the baby stuff I buy half price then of course Id go out of my way to buy it but at normal price id probably save about a fiver buying from Tesco and not Boots which is where I usually go.

I took Dermalogica on knowing that there were at least 4 salons in a mile radius of me that had the range so id be a bit of a hypocrite if I started jumping up and down over the fact Boots MAY start selling it on a wider basis.

The only thing that really bothers me about Dermalogica being sold unauthorised is that clients won't get the right advice on the products and their skintype.

Im assuming that everyone who thinks Dermalogica is secretly supplying Boots but is denying it are not stockists of the range. If you were you would know that as a company Dermalogica believe all clients should be face mapped before being retailed the products so they are being prescribed the correct skincare. This won't happen if Boots haven't got an actual concession like Clarins so if Dermalogica really did want to supply Boots it would be my guess that they would go a for a big all singing & dancing display.

I think a company the size of boots would have everything in order so to speak. I very much doubt they would be getting their supplies from unauthorised sources. I smell a rat here and suspect salons are being fobbed off!

A large company does not just start supplying product overnight. It can take months of negotiations before product can be on the shelves. Discussions would probably have been going on 6 months or more before appearing in store. And I doubt these discussions would be with anyone other than dermalogica. This is not some small high street retailer we are talking about!

I totally agree with this.

Im assuming that everyone who thinks Dermalogica is secretly supplying Boots but is denying it are not stockists of the range. If you were you would know that as a company Dermalogica believe all clients should be face mapped before being retailed the products so they are being prescribed the correct skincare. This won't happen if Boots haven't got an actual concession like Clarins so if Dermalogica really did want to supply Boots it would be my guess that they would go a for a big all singing & dancing display.

Perhaps those with Dermalogica accounts do not want to believe it! As has been mentioned Boots will have a procurement team and there would have been negotiations..... Before a deal is made credit checks, company profiles etc are all worked out on a scoring system - it is not a simple task. Environ have stopped internet sales and so have Nimue and they can stop supplying to you and the Distributor just like that if they choose. Dermalogica is a massive company with a lot of clout. :hug:

Why does someone not get on to Dermalogica and see if a spokes person will reply in this thread?

After all, thesalongeek is an important site .. the largest in the world for beauty professionals .. it will give them a chance to reply to this problem and they may welcome it. :)

I just don't get how Dermalogica can make a big song and dance about ensuring clients are only sold to if they have been face mapped, and then not do anything at all about all the sites selling it's products illegally!

Environ, Nimue and even a small company like Eve Taylor can manage it, yet a world brand, with all their resoures can't!!

There is something more going on here than an inability to control things, it's more like they don't have the desire to control things. At the end of the day, why would they care how much their products are being sold for and by whom, they get their own costs covered no matter what.

If they did care they wouldn't allow it.:rolleyes:

I just don't get how Dermalogica can make a big song and dance about ensuring clients are only sold to if they have been face mapped, and then not do anything at all about all the sites selling it's products illegally!

Environ, Nimue and even a small company like Eve Taylor can manage it, yet a world brand, with all their resoures can't!!

There is something more going on here than an inability to control things, it's more like they don't have the desire to control things. At the end of the day, why would they care how much their products are being sold for and by whom, they get their own costs covered no matter what.

If they did care they wouldn't allow it.:rolleyes:

Honey .. you have no idea what a huge problem this is for so many companies and I hate to burst your bubble, but the larger a company is the harder it is to control where your product goes NOT easier.

Imagine trying to find a needle in a haystack!! Dermo will sell to a small number of distributors who will sell to a much larger numbner of sub distributors who will sell to gazillions of customers. You tell me how they track who is selling to who .... believe me I know allot about this as CND has had the same issues for years.

It has taken CND 2-3 years to actually find out who the diverters are!! yes ... 3 years!! They have made huge efforts that have cost huge amounts of money and time .. so try not to be so cynical ... companies are not happy to have others destroy what is their culture. It is
not all about sales whatever you may think or however cynical you may be. Reputation means allot to allot of us and we go very far to protect it.

Latest posts

Back