omg just had email from Dermalogica

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the Professional Beauty email this morning and the following story was included with a link to their website, thought you guys would find it interesting:

Professional Beauty - Latest news

Professional Beauty website said:
Dermalogica fights back as Boots stocks brand

Dermalogica has hit back at Boots after the high street health and beauty chain started stocking the professional skincare brand in some of its larger stores and online.

Dermalogica has sent out a letter to its 6,000+ stockists, informing them that five Boots locations – Victoria Centre in Nottingham, Meadow Hall in Sheffield, White Friars in Canterbury, Bluewater in Kent and Westfield in Derby as well as Boots.com – have started stocking some of its products, but that Boots is not an authorised stockist and that it believes the retail giant has acquired the products through a third-party supplier.

“Although we have been approached many times by Boots, we have steadfastly refused to supply, and continue to refuse to do so,” said Glenn Poy, general manager of Dermalogica UK.
The acquisition and sale of products through a third-party supplier is not illegal, although Dermalogica is working hard to prevent Boots from continuing with this strategy. The Professional Beauty Award-winning skincare brand is consulting with its lawyers, investigating accounts that may be supplying Boots, with a view to shutting them down; has set up a confidential hotline and email account to receive tip-offs about the Boots supply channels and is pledging a £500 reward to anyone providing conclusive information that leads to the closure of the account. The company is also considering taking advertisements in a national newspaper to publicise the importance of being sold through authorised stockists.

Nevertheless, Boots is adamant that it will continue to offer Dermalogica “to offer its customers the most comprehensive range of skincare products on the high street,” according to a Boots spokesperson. “. . .it is our preference to deal with the brand owners direct where possible. We are keen to forge a relationship with Dermalogica, however, so far our attempts have not been reciprocated”.

The brand was unable to comment further on whether it would offer the range in more stores or how it got hold of the line and whether the line would be offered as part of its three for two promotion. There are 12 products available on line, ranging in price from £16.50 for the Soothing Eye Make- Up Remover to £34.84 for the Skin Smoothing Cream, which constitutes a discount of around 8%.

Dermalogica's founder and owner Jane Wurwand has always been adamant that her brand should only be stocked by professionally trained therapists who know how to diagnose skin using the company's Face Mapping system, and prescribe from the range accordingly. She has also been clear that her vision has been to support therapists and salon owners' businesses rather than supplying channels that would vie for their homecare sales business.

Poy believes that a wider distribution could damage the brand and negatively impact on existing authorised accounts, a view endorsed by Dawn Monk, co-owner of Madoka. Her salon is under five minutes' walk from Derby's Westfield Centre Boots, which is stocking Dermalogica. “This makes a mockery of the brand and I can imagine Dermalogica are so upset about it. We get a lot of walk-ins and sell huge amounts of Dermalogica, but we only ever do it after a full Face Mapping consultation or a facial. Other stockists will not do the same because they won't have been trained as well as my therapists.”

Monk is adamant that Boots decision to stock the brand will impact on her business. “We have a lot of loyal clients but I worry people will get their prescription from us, and go to Boots to buy it cheaper.”

It's a concern shared by Tara Gill, manager of Beauty Glow Salon in Nottingham, which also has a nearby Boots selling Dermalogica. “It's hard for us to compete when companies like this are selling professional brands and people can collect Advantage Points or get them cheaper. A smaller salon like us can not compete.”

Monk insisted she'll fight off the challenge by emphasising that only professionally trained therapists can prescribe skincare that works. “High street stores often just ask if your skin is dry or oily, but it's more complex than that. Salespeople may advocate, for example, the AgeSmart cleanser, but that is quite strong, and you shouldn't really use it every day if you have dry skin. Customers could try it, find it doesn't work and that could put them off the brand.”

“The free Dermalogica training is absolutely amazing and you can give clients fantastic results if it is diagnosed correctly,” she said. “One of my therapists diagnosed a possible liver problem in a client the other day after she had just done an advanced Chinese Face Mapping course. You wouldn't get that in Boots.”

Poy agreed: “Boots does not have Dermalogica-trained qualified skin therapists available to provide consultation and appropriate product recommendations. We are committed to our relationship with our loyal Dermalogica accounts and continue to be the partner of professional skincare centres and salons.”

The fact that they say 'The acquisition and sale of products through a third-party supplier is not illegal' is a bad sign!

It isn't illegal (as such) although there are some points that you can challenge from a legal standpoint.

For example, if Boots were importing the goods themselves from outside of the EU for resale within the EU without consent of Dermalogica, then Dermalogica would have grounds for an IP infringement case against Boots (who would have to pay huge damages to Dermalogica).

However if Boots is sourcing from within the EU, then Dermalogica needs to follow the supply chain to the point in which they are being imported. The person who is doing the importation without direct authorisation from Dermalogica is infringing on their intellectual property rights. If it turns out that Dermalogica is being diverted by authorised distributors in the EU, then there is no IP infringement however depending on the contract the distributor has, Dermalogica can take appropriate action with them.

I have tried my best to explain the complexities of diversion (aka parallel importing, aka the grey market) in multiple posts in this thread. I think its pretty unfair to ignorantly over simplify the situation and to read into statements from Dermalogica as if they were secretly encoded with messages from the Illuminati. This situation will end up damaging the Dermalogica brand and cost the company far more than they would profit from a 'deal' like this and they know it.

has there been anymore updates on this situation or is things much the same as when we recieved our emails? xx

“One of my therapists diagnosed a possible liver problem in a client the other day after she had just done an advanced Chinese Face Mapping course. You wouldn't get that in Boots.”

And I should hope not!! I think I'd be more worried about my therapists diagnosing liver problems & the possibe ensuing legal action than a potential loss of retail!

“One of my therapists diagnosed a possible liver problem in a client the other day after she had just done an advanced Chinese Face Mapping course. You wouldn't get that in Boots.”

And I should hope not!! I think I'd be more worried about my therapists diagnosing liver problems & the possibe ensuing legal action than a potential loss of retail!

How funny! I have been a medically qualified practitioner for over 20 yrs and I wouldn't even consider diagnosing liver problems - Chinese Face Mapping WTF! sorry, I diagress!

Is that what Dermologicia teach you to do! Wow thats scary! Client comes in for a facial and leaves with a potential life threatening health problem. I have recomended clients see Drs if I think something might be wrong, but I never diagnose it, just advise they see if there Dr can find the cause or help them if I feel I cannot, especially with moles my clients cannot see.

I don't see how difficult it is to track products. I am a sub distributor and I think if I suddenly put a huge great whackin order through and then weeks later boots is selling it ~ err well think they would put 2 and 2 together eventually!

either way you would presume dermologica have a contact that states their product can only be sold through authorised outlets and you would think a solicitor could wrap it up in an hour.

And no publicity is bad publicity is it ~ so all this goes in Dermologicas favour. And you think they won't sell out. Look at the other companies that did! If it is genuine then they really need to ditch a few sub distributors or change solicitors!

Totally agree with Number1Kitty :). They are without doubt going into outlets. I also think it's funny how if a company worth over 1 Billion dollars is offering a £500 reward for information...they must be really anxious to find the villan with this reward! :)

Dermalogica do not teach this at all. The class just allows you to look at where the system maybe sluggish etc.

That therapist needs to re attend the class!

As an authorised dermalogica stockist I am allowed to sell online. I am not allowed to sell the prof products, nor am I allowed to sell wholesale.
Given that dermalogica salons are being targeted for burglary, why the hell havent dermalogica got a foolproof batch number system going? Find out exactly where these products are coming from.
My rep claims that dermalogica are closing the accounts of salons found to be in breach of contract with them.

Totally agree with Number1Kitty :). They are without doubt going into outlets. I also think it's funny how if a company worth over 1 Billion dollars is offering a £500 reward for information...they must be really anxious to find the villan with this reward! :)

Wow £500! Think I am going to become a Bounty Hunter lol! Who's with me!

You get bigger prizes watching Crimewatch UK lol. Have Dermologica not even commented on this thread despite knowing about it? Hhhmmm if it was my company I would be trying to make this very right with everyone I have business with. xx

Wow £500! Think I am going to become a Bounty Hunter lol! Who's with me!

You get bigger prizes watching Crimewatch UK lol. Have Dermologica not even commented on this thread despite knowing about it? Hhhmmm if it was my company I would be trying to make this very right with everyone I have business with. xx

I forwarded this to my rep (the whole thread) - NO interest whatsoever!

I remember years ago when I worked for various fragrance houses Asda and so on started selling fragrance at discounted prices. When a particular rep called for an order I asked where was Asda and so on getting there stock. He did not know andd was buying stock to see if the company could track where it was comming from. One answer was it was been bought via France. Yeh right!! the other was grey market. We were authorised stockist of French fragrance so how could super markets get the stock
As geek said earlier someone buys from someone and so on. It is hard to track.
I personally think Boots wouldn't be so stupid unless there thought it was genuine .
Posted via Mobile Device

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

Wanted to see if it was true.

Photo Graphic Evidence of it on Sale in Boots in Meadowhall in Sheffield.

Nothing more to say...... :eek: Check out the Decelor also!

Nothing more to say...... :eek: Check out the Decelor also!

The difference is that Decleor make no secret about the fact they provide retail products to selected suppliers. I've addressed this elsewhere, but personally I don't find it negatively impacts my retail sales at all; if anything it raises brand awareness & has often led to people trying out Decleor facials, and then where do they buy their products? At my salon when they've finished their treatment!

The main issue is the fact that Dermalogica don't want it supplied in this way, although how this is different to buying it from salon websites is somewhat of a mystery to me!

i think this situation would have been easier to figure out if dermalogica hadnt allowed internet sales, as they wouldnt have as many accounts that place huge orders!

Good old internet .. a blessing and a curse.

I think in a lot of ways if a company choose to sell on the high st, QVC etc it raises brand awareness and actually helps my sales! In my town people only go for what they know. Brands like OPI, St Tropez always do well for me. Yes Boots do sell them but I can undercut them or do an offer. It is better to make something from stock rather than have stuffyour average Joe hasnt heard of and isnt going to buy. You can all do offers like loyalty cards, buy 3 products get a free facial etc

(I think in a lot of ways if a company choose to sell on the high st, QVC etc it raises brand awareness and actually helps my sales! In my town people only go for what they know. Brands like OPI, St Tropez always do well for me.)

I dont think Dermalogica are choosing to sell on the high street.

mmm.. ........ companies like CND,Dermalogica etc spend fortunes on Education for therapists and nail pros!!!

You are correct, in that people go for what they know.
BUT they would not know about the product if their therapist or nail pro,did not reccomend or promote it in the first place!

They have created the Brand awareness,thru education and knowledge

We have a similar problem here in Canada with Shoppers Drug Mart selling professional products such as Essie, Redken, Biolage, Bedhead and many more. A few years ago they tried to sell OPI and I am not sure how but OPI forced them to pull the stock. The story goes that the product is either stolen from a hijacked transport truck or purchased from business going bust. It is then sold from a legitimate resale or liquidation house, thus not illegal. OPI was able to track the product on the shelves by a specific product code which they found had been stolen from a hijacked transport van. We call it diversion, and it has to stop!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back