omg just had email from Dermalogica

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First let me say that I LOVE this thread - all 7 pages of it!!! Secondly, I am glad to see that the dermalogica stockists of the UK are seeing what we've been seeing in America for several years now - dermalogica is talking out of both sides of their mouth! Or, in other words, two-faced.

I don't know if you all have the same problem with internet sales like we do here, but if you go on ebay.com and search for dermalogica there are over three-thousand listings! They are selling the professional sizes AND the free samples - yes, selling for say five dollars the samples we get for free!

Then, there are all of the other supposedly legitimate sites selling dermalogica, some at deeper discounts than a brick and mortar salon can. And, dermalogica is now in the open-to-the-public beauty supply chains like Pure Beauty and ULTA. Dermalogica is actually sending their educators into those stores to teach the unlicensed sales clerks Face Mapping (or what used to be skin analysis - our domain!).

Personally, I have had this problem with dermalogica and finally decided to get out. Never mind the clients who had never heard of the line before I educated them about it who are now choosing to go online to buy it because it was "cheaper". But after working with a new client for 45-minutes telling her all about dermalogica, how it's "different" and why she needs professional-grade products, she literally turns at the front door and says, "Can I just get this online?" So, in other words, I sold one product to her and her repeat sales will go to somebody else. Then I realized, "Dermalogica doesn't care that I am spending my time promoting their product." In fact, they are grateful to those of us who do this free of charge for them. The more I talk it up, the more products they sell, and they don't care if I'm the one making the sale or if it is from an online source or beauty store chain. A sale is a sale to them. Long gone is the loyalty to our profession. They are now a "retail skin care company" and that's all.

In fact, I read an interview with Jane that was utterly shocking.

Felicia C. Sullivan: Interview: Entrepreneur Jane Wurwand, CEO of Dermalogica

Have a look for yourself and see if you agree that it appears Jane is turning the consumer away from the professional salon to more retail focus.

It's all about GREED. They will obviously sell more product through these distribution methods, than just through the efforts of a salon professional. But one can't help but feel used and betrayed. They used us to get their product into the popular stratosphere it is now enjoying, and now they don't need us anymore. I've been deeply disappointed and have finally moved on. Luckily, there are good choices in professional-grade lines that haven't saturated the market (yet).

Just had an email from Dermalogica (cant copy it for some reason)

They have sourced the account providing Boots from outside the EU and have closed it down:):):)

They have also placed a notice in the Daily Mail

Cant believe i havent read this sooner! what a shocker! i cant believe it. Just checked Boots website and its still there! anyone have any futher news? x

Spagirl - agree with you completely! Have had Dermalogica in my Salon for the past 15 yrs and it was always regarded as something special by our clients but no longer.
Our retail sales have halved in the past 12 months - partly due to recession but mainly due to internet sales. My therapists are good at recommending products, do wonderful facials and know the product.
Dermalogica no longer make it a special product, only available with professional prescription BUT they still expect me to send any new therapists to them for a MINIMUM of 4 days training - Do they ask this of the internet sites they supply to - DON't THINK SO!!
Have very little faith in them any more

My client has just told me Dermalogica is sold at the airport and it is sold cheaper than RRP.

Anyone truth in this?

My client has just told me Dermalogica is sold at the airport and it is sold cheaper than RRP.

Anyone truth in this?

Most things are at airports - its one of the perks of flying outside the EU ... 15% discount as no VAT.

Unbelievable...was it in a boots at an airport or just a random shop?

Dermalogica have a shop at the airport

Yes Boots are selling Decleor too: Search results

The difference here is that Decleor make no secret of providing a limited range of the retail products to selected suppliers; Dermalogica say that they don't want to supply shops, only therapists. To save retyping what I said earlier in this thread:

Personally I don't find it negatively impacts my retail sales at all; if anything it raises brand awareness & has often led to people trying out Decleor facials, and then where do they buy their products? At my salon when they've finished their treatment!

The main issue is the fact that Dermalogica don't want it supplied in this way, although how this is different to buying it from salon websites is somewhat of a mystery to me!

Hey skin geeks....Question for you guys regarding Dermalogica....Can you guys readily buy it from say a supplier or distributer? Over here in America, even though I am licensed I am having the hardest time finding a way to purchase it without paying retail. I have a friend who carries it in the salon she works at but it's quite a distance and would have to pay for her to ship to me. I mean isn't that one of the best points of being in the business is so we may purchase the products we love at the professional discount?

Latest posts

Back