omg !...my own salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
hi guys, i have wanted my own salon for so long and now, i have just looked at a place this weekend in a place i SO want the thing is my brother has offerd me the money to set it all up i dont have to pay him back the biz will be in both names thing is its much biger than we thought and of course so is the rent :eek: the good thing is more room for more staff althought not looking forward to trying to find hairdressers (it will be hair and beauty) i do both but will need somebody hopefully with a few clients, thing is not sure budget will do what we need to and alot of stress as we will need to make money from day 1 should i go for it ? dont know who to talk to to get help :cry:
sorry i know that was a bit of a rant.

Last edited:
my only input is, i think its a little bit unrealistic to expect to make money from day one! it takes time to build your client base.

good luck to you tho! think and plan carefully!

x

Go for it,girl! Just keep a cool head and get as much free business advice as you can. I live in Wakefield so i guess am not far from yo. The local tax office courses are pretty good and aimed at beginners so I would def consider them. And they are free!!! If you aint too far from me I might call in and try you out!!

as Katelisa has mentioned, nobody can expect to make money from day one, that is unrealistic expectations. You must budget for the fact that you may have no clients or little clients for the first few months.

If you blow all your budget and then become reliant on making a lot of money from opening day you are giving yourself a lot of stress.

So, go for it as Ali says, but make sure you have a safety net of money.

All professional advisors state that you it is realistic that a business takes 3 years to become established.

also be prepared for the fact that you may not be able to take a wage for a while, its a hard one, but it spurs you on to do better.

If the place is big, why not rent out a few places on a short term contract, then you will have regular rent coming in until you become established.

This has been discussed afew times, so go to the search option and read what other people have said.

Its a brilliant career, but go into it with your eyes wide open.

Agreed it is quite unrealistic to make money from day one. Event though I've just opened a clinic with 6 years of building up a local client base, I still took the decision to rent out my second room a few times a week as a 'just in case'.

I rent my room out to a chiropractor on one day (who also does acupuncture) and a podiatrist on Monday when I'm shut. This has a dual effect, it gives you income & also an in-house referral network. I can send pedicure clients with ingrown nails & other problems to the podiatrist & she can refer them to me to pretty them up! Likewise, I get a lot of remedial massage as a result of the chiropractor, and I send them to her for skeletal problems. In the past I've also worked with self-employed herbalists, homeopaths, cranio-sacral therapists, acupuncturists, sports therapists & the like. Normally these professions work in a number of clinics on a self-employed basis to cover a wider area, the number of potential clients in one town being quite small for them. If done well it will bring in a guaranteed monthly income, extra clients & bolster your reputation. Hope this helps!

I think you need to do alot more research and number crunching before you even look at premises! if you dont know who to ask then you really shouldnt be considering taking the money from your brother. There are so many things associated with running abusiness that has NOTHING to do with the work you do. Have you management/salon co-ordination experience including stock control - you may have done this in your day to day work so start there, take whatever products you have been using (you may need bigger sizes) and work out how much stock you'll need to open with - that will give you your first figure aside from rent and rates. Get your list done then times it by twelve could you make that much on your own or do you need staff?

Congratulations,

if you are thinking of a new design or refurbishment check out my profile and maybe we could be of help

Dave

That is great news, i wish i had a brouther like yours. It will take time to build up, but i am sure u will do just fine hun, good luck chicxxxxx:hug:

hi just to add the thing that botherd me most was that he thought it would be ok to do this place out and make money from day 1 i have bin doin this for many years and know its not pos so there for will not be takin up his offer :cry: :cry:, didnt think he was that thick :eek:.

if he could re-think his expectations then go for it. Remember, YOU are the expert in this NOT him, so if you said, look its going to take 6 months to get a regular client base, and 3 months before we can start to relax a bit.

You probably wouldn't be able to take a wage out for a the forseeable future, let alone him make any money, so I think you would be mounting a lot of pressure on yourself.

If you are employing people then they need paying come rain or shine, but you could rent chairs out for a short term to save that happening.

its a shame, but I think you have done the right thing.

Latest posts

Back