OMG-one hand is darker than the other!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
OMG! just finished testing Crystal Nails titanium gel, which is great BTW but i've noticed one of my hands is darker than the other now (I've only put sculpts on one hand).

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

As in tanned? I didn't link uv lamps really had this affect?

As in tanned? I didn't link uv lamps really had this affect?

Yep tanned, I'm already medium brown (mixed race) but when i finished i instantly noticed i was darker, I've never noticed this before.

I don't know what to make of it :confused:

I apply a spray sun cream to all my shellac/l&p clients before starting so when it comes to the uv lamp bit the skin is well protected.
I reckon in years to come, there will be some people blaming beauticians for skin cancer due to too much uv exposure! Some clients come every 10-14 days years on end. U can get a nice mist spray one with a low protection factor from pound land xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I apply a spray sun cream to all my shellac/l&p clients before starting so when it comes to the uv lamp bit the skin is well protected.
I reckon in years to come, there will be some people blaming beauticians for skin cancer due to too much uv exposure! Some clients come every 10-14 days years on end. U can get a nice mist spray ine low factor from pound land xx

Mmmm ok thankyou, It has made me think. How long have UV nail lamps been around for?

I'm 30 and have been getting my nails done since I was 18 and they used them then. Xx

I tan really easy and have to say I've never had my skin change colour using a uv lamp and I do my nails a lot

I tan really easy and have to say I've never had my skin change colour using a uv lamp and I do my nails a lot

Honest guv I'm not telling porkies! Lol. I use the CND lamp and my skin on my hands does get very warm at times. I think I may get some of those fingerless gloves just for my self considering I'm always trying new things. x

I bet you lot think I'm a right Dot Cotton with me skin complaints lol

Honest guv I'm not telling porkies! Lol. I use the CND lamp and my skin on my hands does get very warm at times. I think I may get some of those fingerless gloves just for my self considering I'm always trying new things. x

I bet you lot think I'm a right Dot Cotton with me skin complaints lol

Lol just imagining browner fingers now lol, gonna check them out at pro beauty :) joke

I do mine constantly as well and tan very easily and never have noticed a difference.. Could it have been a circulation issue? Were you resting on one hand and not the other? Blood flow can make your skin look a different colors.. Always happens with my clients when i'm doing pedicures and they've got one leg raised and the other down.. The one that is raised is more pale and the one that is down is darker due to the blood flow.

God knows, my hand doesn't look as brown this morning as it was last night but there is still a weany difference, but when you tan your tan doesn't fade over night!

Oh well still gonna do nails, nothings gonna stop me :D

I asked Doug Schoon about this because I didn't think it was possible. He just confirmed that the output is way to low to cause a tan. Was it possibly your right hand Claire and you'd been driving that day?

I asked Doug Schoon about this because I didn't think it was possible. He just confirmed that the output is way to low to cause a tan. Was it possibly your right hand Claire and you'd been driving that day?

Nah it was my left hand, it was in and out of the machine cos I was testing colours patterns etc.
I dunno I'm baffled :confused:

Are u going to Pro Beauty this year, I am, I can't wait, kid in candy store springs to mind Lol

I disagree with you claims. The output of these nails lamps is too far low to cause the tanning you described, nor would you “instantly notice” that your skin was darker. That’s not how the skin tanning process works. Tanning would not occur instantly under any circumstance, nor are these nail lamps capable of producing such tanning effects.

I also disagree with your choice to use the wrong UV nail lamp to cure your products. You should follow manufacturer’s directions and ALWAYS use the nail lamp that was specifically designed for the product that you are applying to your clients nails.

I disagree with you claims. The output of these nails lamps is too far low to cause the tanning you described, nor would you “instantly notice” that your skin was darker. That’s not how the skin tanning process works. Tanning would not occur instantly under any circumstance, nor are these nail lamps capable of producing such tanning effects.

I also disagree with your choice to use the wrong UV nail lamp to cure your products. You should follow manufacturer’s directions and ALWAYS use the nail lamp that was specifically designed for the product that you are applying to your clients nails.

Hello Doug. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

I'm not using the crystal nails gel on clients yet I'm only trialing it on myself first to whether on not to buy into that range and add it too my services or not.

Regarding the "tanning" my hands are the same colour now but when thought I saw a change in colour I was a bit shocked. Maybe it was the light in my room, who knows??

But I do take your comments on board, you are the professor after all. But thanks for putting my fears at rest.

Maybe I'm seeing things. Maybe I'm going mad lol!

Last edited:
I know that many nail professionals try this, but if you think about it, how can you proper evaluate a UV gel if you use the incorrect nail lamp? I don’t think you can. Here is a link to an Education Update that I wrote about this subject. My advice is, if you can’t afford or don’t want to purchase the correct UV nail lamp to cure the product, then don’t purchase the product.
http://www.schoonscientific.com/eblast/eblast_2013-05-25_Whats-the-Harm-in-Doing-That.htm

I know that many nail professionals try this, but if you think about it, how can you proper evaluate a UV gel if you use the incorrect nail lamp? I don’t think you can. Here is a link to an Education Update that I wrote about this subject. My advice is, if you can’t afford or don’t want to purchase the correct UV nail lamp to cure the product, then don’t purchase the product.
http://www.schoonscientific.com/eblast/eblast_2013-05-25_Whats-the-Harm-in-Doing-That.htm

Thankyou for the link. :)

Actually may i just ask, If the manufacturer states to cure their gel you need a regular UV lamp but they don't say that you "need" their brand of lamp, what do you do? the manufacturer says you just need a regular 36w UV lamp so that would be ok because I'm following their guidance, yes?

BTW I'm not arguing with you I'm just curious Lol

Last edited:
That's an excellent question. Thanks for asking. If a company can't tell you how to properly cure the product, they must not care if their products are properly cured or are unaware of the potential issues related to improper cure of nail enhancements. Either way, I would not use the product. Any company selling UV nail enhancements should have done research to determine the UV nail lamp(s) that properly cures the product. If they can't tell you this, then you should not use the product.
Why your question is a such a good one is because there are manufacturers who appear NOT to really care if nail techs properly cure the enhancement, they just want you to buy their product. So, if they tell you to cure the product with whatever UV nail lamp you already have, that’s a red flag. They likely just want to get their foot in your door, so just say no! Stick with the companies that do research and understand these issues. If they appear to be clueless about how to properly cure UV nail coatings, they probably are clueless.

That's an excellent question. Thanks for asking. If a company can't tell you how to properly cure the product, they must not care if their products are properly cured or are unaware of the potential issues related to improper cure of nail enhancements. Either way, I would not use the product. Any company selling UV nail enhancements should have done research to determine the UV nail lamp(s) that properly cures the product. If they can't tell you this, then you should not use the product.
Why your question is a such a good one is because there are manufacturers who appear NOT to really care if nail techs properly cure the enhancement, they just want you to buy their product. So, if they tell you to cure the product with whatever UV nail lamp you already have, that’s a red flag. They likely just want to get their foot in your door, so just say no! Stick with the companies that do research and understand these issues. If they appear to be clueless about how to properly cure UV nail coatings, they probably are clueless.

Hi Doug.

I use my Cnd lamp to cure my NSI glaze and go over l&p nails.
So going by the advice you have been giving, is this wrong? Should I be using an Nsi lamp?

I suspect both companies would tell you that you should not do this. If you like a product well enough to purchase it, you should follow the manufacturer's instructions and not make up your own directions.

Latest posts

Back