OMG Tescos are now doing beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen v

Reaction score
Tescos are now starting to roll out hair and beauty salons in their superstores. A friend of mine has had threading done and asked where they trained, only to be told oh tescos trained me! Are supermarkets going to take over the world!

Walmart in the states has had hair nail and beauty places for years, and dentists pet shops , options ,you can even get the car serviced while you shop!

I was watching something on TV the other night dunno what it was called though maybe the street?
basically some family's have to work a high street every week in a different time era!
before they had supermarkets there was separate butchers , bakers , green grosers and the rest the supermarkets spelled the huge change but some smaller businesses carried on even today!

however the internet is making highstreets struggle now so for others to merge into each other is only sensible really,

Fine, businesses have to move with the times. Things change and develop. However, I don't want any treatments done on me if somebody has "been trained by Tesco". There are standards in our industry and that doesn't cut it!

Our local Tesco has a hairdressers in it as a seperate business (nail tech also in situ I believe), also has a jewellers, health food shop, dry cleaners and travel agents. As part of the store they have an opticians. Just waiting for world domination to be confirmed (well, kingston park domination anyway! :green:)

Grrrr I bloody HATE Tesco, Liverpool is fast becoming Tesco Town and it really p*sses me off!!!! They're single handedly killing off local business. We had an old Woolies store that was meant to get the go ahead to turn it into a upmarket old fashioned emporium only for Tesco to trample all over it and be given the green light to turn it into ANOTHER Metro store, wouldn't mind but there are 3 Metro's between 0.5 - 2 miles away and 2 superstores between 0.5 - 2.5 miles away. It makes my blood BOIL!!!!!!!!

And breathe... lol!! :lick:

Grrrr I bloody HATE Tesco, Liverpool is fast becoming Tesco Town and it really p*sses me off!!!! They're single handedly killing off local business. We had an old Woolies store that was meant to get the go ahead to turn it into a upmarket old fashioned emporium only for Tesco to trample all over it and be given the green light to turn it into ANOTHER Metro store, wouldn't mind but there are 3 Metro's between 0.5 - 2 miles away and 2 superstores between 0.5 - 2.5 miles away. It makes my blood BOIL!!!!!!!!

And breathe... lol!! :lick:

So your an Asda girl then :wink2:

HAHAHAHA!!!!

After that rant, I'm ashamed to say I shop in Tesco! Only because it's literally up the road (oh god stop me as I'll start quoting miles again!), otherwise it'd be Asda because it's cheaper. :lol: hehehe x

Hehe, I get a bee in my bonnet about Tesco too & their world domination.
Very, very rarely do my main shop at Tesco, (usually go to Sainsbury's), but I do sometimes go to the small one in town & then feel guilty for giving the bully boys my money, lol

Am I the only one that likes shopping at Tesco? I hate Asda. Every single Asda I've ever been in feels dirty. I switch between Morrison's and Tesco, whichever is closest at the time.

Don't think I'd go to Tesco for a treatment though.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

do u reckon they will do tesco "value nails" he hee :green:

When I was a kid there was a hair salon in asda, and like sub shops inside the shop like optitians, jewelers etc. I wonder if there prices will be realy low, that could cause a problem I think becuse of what it has done to other local shops like the fruit and veg shop etc. As for being trained bye tesco, they probably paid for them to be put on a cource or something like that. I wonder if it will catch on though?x

Quite a few years ago the Safeways in town opened a nail bar within in the store. It lasted a few months then vanished. Not suprising as I don't think they ever had a single customer. Who wants to sit slap bang in the middle of the store with everyone gawping at you and run the risk of having various friends/neighbours etc spot you there then come over for a chat. Not many I would think.

I know it will appeal to some people but think about your clientele. I would say that most of mine are very discreet about the treatments they have, some don't even tell their friends that they have facials so I can't imagine they'd be in a hurry to be spotted having a treatment done in Tescos.

Quite a few years ago the Safeways in town opened a nail bar within in the store. It lasted a few months then vanished. Not suprising as I don't think they ever had a single customer. Who wants to sit slap bang in the middle of the store with everyone gawping at you and run the risk of having various friends/neighbours etc spot you there then come over for a chat. Not many I would think.

I know it will appeal to some people but think about your clientele. I would say that most of mine are very discreet about the treatments they have, some don't even tell their friends that they have facials so I can't imagine they'd be in a hurry to be spotted having a treatment done in Tescos.

So true, im one of those people as a client. I like a certain amount of hush and calm when im having treatments.

Last year while visiting my old place in Toronto I went to a rather nice Branded salon in the Eaton Centre where they have a retail store and a treatment room in back so i booked for a lip and eyebrow wax. I didnt know til I arrived that they do the facial waxing right there in the retail store while you sit on a makeup chair. Nothing more elegant than having your tash waxed in a store that has a window looking into the biggest centre in Toronto. :green:

Im sure the Tesco thing will be a fad, they seem to offer everything these days. They are definitely the Walmart of the UK (which is Ironic as ASDA are the ones owned by them) but the Walmart affect only appeals to a certain section of people. People who want fast, walk in and cheap. Not usually our target customers anyway.

do u reckon they will do tesco "value nails" he hee :green:

LOL - this made me laugh!

Seriously though, much as it cheeses me off that Tesco seem to have a finger in EVERY pie going, I can imagine it might go reasonably well. But the clientele are going to be completely different to the ones who would seek out a professional looking reputable salon and pay good money for their treatment.

I may be wrong but I can see this appealing to older ladies or simply ones who feel intimidated by the "salon" experience for whatever reason. And the prices are bound to be a lot less than a salon. For some reason I know an awful lot of ladies who find it really hard to justify spending money on themselves and if they can have a quick treatment while at the supermarket which seems like a bit of a bargain, they'll go for it.

Grrrrrrrr.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over this. Most big companies, including Boots have tried this and failed miserably.If salons work on small margins at our prices, why do you think that supermarkets will be any different? They will try it, find out that managing it is a nightmare for a mediocre return and give up. They expect floor space too return x pounds per square foot per annum. Cant see a beauty salon competing with a food aisle in that respect.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over this. Most big companies, including Boots have tried this and failed miserably.If salons work on small margins at our prices, why do you think that supermarkets will be any different? They will try it, find out that managing it is a nightmare for a mediocre return and give up. They expect floor space too return x pounds per square foot per annum. Cant see a beauty salon competing with a food aisle in that respect.

I think your right! Plus the minute they start getting clients come back wanting a refund for a nail thats came off etc they'll be wondering why they bothered in the 1st place.

Plus if you've just done your shopping your not going to want to go and get your nails done cause your frozen stuff will defrost and having beauty treatments and your hair done are pampering treatments and tescos isn't exactly a relaxing place. They do nails, sunbeds and hair at the one at kingston park and it never looks busy

I just think it's moving with the times but if Tesco started to offer nail enhancements I would have something to say as I can't stand the smell.

There was a lovely clothes shop in a local town that started offering nail enhancements and it didn't take long for them to lose business because the smell was so over powering.

Tesco are planning to take over the world, mark my words!

I just think it's moving with the times but if Tesco started to offer nail enhancements I would have something to say as I can't stand the smell.

There was a lovely clothes shop in a local town that started offering nail enhancements and it didn't take long for them to lose business because the smell was so over powering.

If the smell was over powering then the technician was not working correctly or using the right equipment. There does not have to be a smell when doing nails.

In other countries there have been plenty of successful nail bars in shopping malls etc and there is no reason it shouldn't work perfectly well for a certain client type in a Tesco superstore.

You'll find at least one in any Walmart you go into in the States.

It's not as if it's clown college and you will get a comedy certificate.

I'm sure Tesco would take the right steps in training there employee's.

Latest posts

Back