OMG! What's this on my nail????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my left index finger.
I have noticed it has a slight discolouration (yellowy) which seems to be 1/2 way up the sideswall and slightly under the nailplate on my nail bed!!!
It does not hurt but does feel a little strange as my normally very normal side wall seems to have the seal shortened to therefor free up the side edge of the nail. It's not lifting up or anything and is dry not weeping as pic seems to suggest?
It may not be the most clear pic (took it with my 5 mega pixel phone) hubby's gone to shop, and i'll take a pic with his camera when he comes back.

My general history is...
I suffer with excema, severe sometimes only on my hands.
I have contact dermatistis i think and get very sore cracked fingers (not at the mo tho) cured by taking hayfever tablets.
Psoriasis on my elbows slightly - v. small patches less than size of 10p/25c peice (US)

I'm hoping it's just psoriasis??????

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 415
Bev hun, it could be a number of things - infection, seperation, slight derailing, psoriasis and so on! We could all hazard a guess at what it is, but my advice would be to go to a chiropodist (yes really even for hands!!!) as they are the experts when it comes to diagnosis ... sadly we aren't and are of course trained never to diagnose anything!

Bev hun, it could be a number of things - infection, seperation, slight derailing, psoriasis and so on! We could all hazard a guess at what it is, but my advice would be to go to a chiropodist (yes really even for hands!!!) as they are the experts when it comes to diagnosis ... sadly we aren't and are of course trained never to diagnose anything!

I know we should not diagnose Sassy, but it's a shock to me!!! Just felt unclean!!!!lol.
Not one of my clients have anything even remotely odd about their nails..

Chiropodist?? Well I'll look one up. I would of thought to go to the Docs, but not a chiropodist. That's interesting....is it that toenail infectionas are more common than nail infections?

Bev, it does only seem to be under the area of the enhancement, from the photo.

Is it worth a removal, to see if its a nail or enhancment problem?

I know we should not diagnose Sassy, but it's a shock to me!!! Just felt unclean!!!!lol.
Not one of my clients have anything even remotely odd about their nails..

Chiropodist?? Well I'll look one up. I would of thought to go to the Docs, but not a chiropodist. That's interesting....is it that toenail infectionas are more common than nail infections?

Well whenever I've had a client go to the doctor they normally don't know what it is ... a chiropodist tends to know nail diseases a lot better (eww I bet they see some sights! :green:!)

I, also, have excema. I had a client who had it very bad on her hands and this would happen quite a bit. Her doctor told her to just keep an eye on it. Excema can, as you know, will reek havoc on your hands, cuticles nails and enhancements.
I would go to the doctor, if it really bothers you. Otherwise, keep an eye on it yourself. You'll know if you need to check in with the doctor.
Good luck!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i would be soaking it off and seeing a professional. To me it looks like onycholysis with a fungal infection.
If you dont have the time or money to see one yet then maybe after removal try some tea tree oil, see how it goes for a couple of weeks?
If it doesnt look any better then head straight up there.

Is it the natural nail that's lifted? It may be a kind of yeast problem. You might soak it in white vinegar for a few days, sometimes that will help it to reattach.

Its definatley under the nail plate & not the acrylic.

The nail plate is not lifting off, nor is there any pain.

I'm treating it as though it's psoriasis or excema at the moment, using my prescriptive creams. If it worsens I'm straight round to the gp or chiropodist.

I've got some tea tree oil, I'll use that too. Thanks all.

it's definately some kind of nail separation ....

What product did you use ? , the reason why I am asking this is .......
No1 enemy (PRIMER), if primer seeps under the nail it can cause separation (after all, it is ACID) and can quite often eat away at the delicate hyponichium..

This kind of nail separation can also be cause by sheer determination to blend the acrylic in to well (fast filing), almost burning the nail.

Personally, I would take that free edge down to almost nothing (therefore aleviating the leverage factor), treat it with some tea tree solution 20%, or vinegar (as stated), or try some listerine (it contains Thymol).

Let it grow out, sick nails grow faster, you will back to normal in no time if you nip it in the bud now.

hi yea, i had the same thing happen to me last year, it was a infection in my thumb and it took weeks to clear up, but i would go and see a doctor he might give you something for it.

in my case the nail did separate after a while and i had to take off the acrylic nails, but I'm all better now, hope that helps...

it's definately some kind of nail separation ....

What product did you use ? , the reason why I am asking this is .......
No1 enemy (PRIMER), if primer seeps under the nail it can cause separation (after all, it is ACID) and can quite often eat away at the delicate hyponichium..
I use Creative Retention + , so I don't use primer, leastways not on myself as I don't get lifting. There is no seperation at the momentThis kind of nail separation can also be cause by sheer determination to blend the acrylic in to well (fast filing), almost burning the nail.

Personally, I would take that free edge down to almost nothing (therefore aleviating the leverage factor), treat it with some tea tree solution 20%, or vinegar (as stated), or try some listerine (it contains Thymol).
The 'thing' is not at the free edge Carl, but high up the sidewall just below the begining of the curve for the eponychium - the nails are desperate for a rebalance, hence the natural nail showing in zone1/2. Based on that, would you still say the same?
Let it grow out, sick nails grow faster, you will back to normal in no time if you nip it in the bud now.

Thanks Carl x

either way, the leverage from an extended free edge will not help the healing process.

It may heal for a bit, then a bump (back to square one), if your shorten the length it will prevent you from knocking it.

This is what I would advise a client if they had this condition (and i'd like the client to listen to me), sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

First and formost is a cure (to prevent it getting worse) ..... then the cause (to prevent it happening again).

It's been shortened Carl, thanks for you advice on this hun xxx

Latest posts

Back