Omg!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojosnails

Reaction score
A lady came in to have some infills done with me today. She'd had the full set done at a local hair salon that has someone who does nails. Well, I took one one look at them and i couldn't believe my eyes!!!:eek: there was l&p all round the skin, which had then started lifting away, there was sooo much glue under the free edge ( plus the client told me she'd actually filed some of this glue away herself so i dread to think how much there actually was to begin with!). There was a dip in the middle of the nail, they looked like spoons!!! The majority of the l&p was on the tip and around the cuticle. The natural nail also looked quite pink under the acrylic where the tip would have been blended, like they had filed the natural nail too. I just couldn't believe that someone can actually pass any training with nails that looked like these did!!! I've never seen nails this bad, ever! In my eyes, the hair salon that have employed her cannot have even done a trade test as i cannot see anyone employing someone who did nails this bad!:rolleyes:

Anyway, an hr and a hlf later i had them looking good with an american polish.:green: It was hard work but the lady was extremely pleased when they were finished! I was proud of my transformation!:)

Has anyone else ever come across anything like this??? i don't understand how people can work when there nails are that bad!!:rolleyes:

unfortunatly anyone can buy a kit and set up as a tech, :rolleyes:
it would have been great to see some before and after pics xx

it just amazes me that anyone would employ someone with nails like this! it makes me angry as it gives us all a bad name to people that may have never had there nails done before this person has done them. :mad: their view would be that everybody does them like that. luckily my client today had had hers done before so new they weren't anywhere near being right! :!:

I wish i had been able to take photos!!! dint have my camera with me! its always the way when something like this happens :lol:

The thing is not everone is as passionate or dedicated as others.....I guess the same thing happens in all industries....we've all had the can't be bothered person on the end of the phone when ringing a call centre about insurance or similar......your gain at the end of the day!

Unbelievable isn't it?

I had a lady come to me with very similar sounding extensions, the acrylic had been applied lumpily and not smoothed, and it has been applied way beyond the cuticles and up over the skin of the fingers. I have never seen anything like it before. It had been applied by a "qualified" mobile tech locally who apparently had said, they're not quite right, I'll take £10 off, and charged £30!!! Well that was a bargain then :lol:

The lady came to me the very next day, very distressed, and I spent nearly 2 hours filing and shaping. It was my biggest challenge to date and when she was delighted with them I got such a buzz. I felt so sorry for her having forked out just the day before for them, and just charged her the normal maintenance charge (although to be fair I spent a lot longer really, but there you are, I'm a bit of a softy). She remained a loyal client for 18 months until she began playing piano and starting cutting them fingertip length and went back to her own nails.

But these appalling nails will stay in my mind as the worst yet.

It is very worrying to think people are going around applying such monstrosities; its enough to put people off nails for life.

I've had a client like this before....
She had just had them done the day before I saw her ......from another shop.....she was having her hair done and was in tears.....so I came over to look at them ( I worked at the salon where she was having her hair done ) and the state of those nails ! :mad:...I couldn't believe the girl had enough nerve to charge her ....
I felt so sorry for this client I wanted to do them for free because I felt so bad for her..... so I rearranged my schedule and I told her to come in the next day and I would fix them for her .....(they all but fell off for me because of the shoddy job she had done) ....when I fixed them they looked great and she was over the moon! .... she not only was a great lady ......she was a very loyal client of mine for 5 yrs until I moved out of Country.....I sure do miss her ....she was such a nice person! ....but after all those years of doing her nails and educating her ....she now knows what nails are supposed to look like ....and she is still going to the shop that I was at ....as I recommended her to a fellow tech who also does great nails!

It really burns my butt when I see nails like this...I'd like to go smack these peeps and tell them to go get better training .....it's peeps like these that give this industry a bad rep!!

Unbelievable isn't it?

I had a lady come to me with very similar sounding extensions, the acrylic had been applied lumpily and not smoothed, and it has been applied way beyond the cuticles and up over the skin of the fingers. I have never seen anything like it before. It had been applied by a "qualified" mobile tech locally who apparently had said, they're not quite right, I'll take £10 off, and charged £30!!! Well that was a bargain then :lol:

The lady came to me the very next day, very distressed, and I spent nearly 2 hours filing and shaping. It was my biggest challenge to date and when she was delighted with them I got such a buzz. I felt so sorry for her having forked out just the day before for them, and just charged her the normal maintenance charge (although to be fair I spent a lot longer really, but there you are, I'm a bit of a softy). She remained a loyal client for 18 months until she began playing piano and starting cutting them fingertip length and went back to her own nails.

But these appalling nails will stay in my mind as the worst yet.

It is very worrying to think people are going around applying such monstrosities; its enough to put people off nails for life.

it is ama zing wat people think they can get away with! i too charged my client a normal infill price even though i spent longer than normal on them. i felt so bad for her! it did make me feel good when i'd finished. you could tell she was genuinely really happy with them!

You can only believe half of what they say..
I have heard countless times of the client who claims she had them done somewhere else just last week and they are a horrible mess only to come to find out that SHE sits there and puts layers of glue all over them to keep them on because she is too cheap to get her fills done at the proper time and it's been 4 weeks ..
I agree that there are salons out there that employ questionable people to do nails but come on..there are the clients who will bald face lie to you also.

We have seen some real stinkers over the years, but i did an infil on a set of fibreglass last week and i couldnt believe my eyes. They were absolutely revolting. They were thick, lumpy, crumbling and yellow, and of different lengths and shapes.:eek: The client had her nails done with this tech for 7 years and booked in with me as her tech went on holiday. Her tech wouldnt let her have french or choose shape and length:irked: If took me an hour to file those babies down and then sculpted all the sides back in and infilled with a p&w gel. She has booked a regular infil slot with us now. I think she was shocked when she saw the end result and realised that what she had been wearing were shocking. I didnt comment on her previous set, but wished i had my camera to hand - it would have made a great before and after pic! I love doing more challenging sets like these. I find it really satisfying :green:

We have seen some real stinkers over the years, but i did an infil on a set of fibreglass last week and i couldnt believe my eyes. They were absolutely revolting. They were thick, lumpy, crumbling and yellow, and of different lengths and shapes.:eek: The client had her nails done with this tech for 7 years and booked in with me as her tech went on holiday. Her tech wouldnt let her have french or choose shape and length:irked: If took me an hour to file those babies down and then sculpted all the sides back in and infilled with a p&w gel. She has booked a regular infil slot with us now. I think she was shocked when she saw the end result and realised that what she had been wearing were shocking. I didnt comment on her previous set, but wished i had my camera to hand - it would have made a great before and after pic! I love doing more challenging sets like these. I find it really satisfying :green:

Glad she saw the light!

omg i cant believe she didnt realise there was nothing wrong with them! but then i guess if she didnt know any different! at least you'v shown her what they should be like!

i agree though, sets like that are really satisfying as the client can really see the improvement!!!!

I think I'm still a newbie and I have'nt got eveything perfect yet but I had a client who came in for a nail fix as she could'nt get an appointment that day with her usual tech, I could'nt believe the mess of them. They had been infilled a week before they were thick, discoloured and when I pressed on the tips they were all lifting atleast half way up the nail! also you could see where the line was before the infill! I sculpted a new nail for the missing one, and buffed as far as I could to make the others look better but they were still a yucky colour and she did'nt have time to have them redone as she was going on holiday. I was shocked at the state of them plus when I filed them it gave off a really disgusting smell charming lol

sorry this is going to sound dumb but what is an american manicure polish? Is it just when the white isnt soo white on the tip. feel free to just :smack: me

A lady came in to have some infills done with me today. She'd had the full set done at a local hair salon that has someone who does nails. Well, I took one one look at them and i couldn't believe my eyes!!!:eek: there was l&p all round the skin, which had then started lifting away, there was sooo much glue under the free edge ( plus the client told me she'd actually filed some of this glue away herself so i dread to think how much there actually was to begin with!). There was a dip in the middle of the nail, they looked like spoons!!!

Has anyone else ever come across anything like this??? i don't understand how people can work when there nails are that bad!!:rolleyes:

Oh yea I have come across it.. reminds me of my first ever attempt at a full set!!! Luckily i was using a tafe supplied plastic hand.. but i can say this.. it wasnt pretty!!:lol:

Just a word of caution here girls. Those of you saying you wished you had taken a pic..before and after.

It wouldn't really be the done thing to post a picture of someone elses work on here without their knowledge, especially when the aim is to slate their workmanship.

Yes it does seem outrageous that people take money for substandard work. Sadly this can happen in any industry.

We don't know the full story here, maybe a nervous trainee did these nails, or maybe it was just someone who was self taught and didn't know what a good enhancement should look like. Either way I am glad you didn't have a camera !!!

Just what i was thinking about pics!!

Hey everyone,
I met this girl a couple of years ago who just had her nails done at a very well known studio. They looked as if someone had spilled some cement on them and then just let it dry!... We arranged for her to come and let me fix them for her, but she had this briliant idea to visit that same studio and remove them before coming to our appointment. You cannot imagine my shock when I saw her hands: the "tech" went so far trying to remove the gel that the girl's natural nails were actually bleeding!!!

Had a girl come to be for a full set and when she sat down I could not believe my eyes. She had the longest nail beds I had ever seen and then twice as much free edge.

They were all different lengths and her free edge wasn't a good colour but they were as solid as rocks and she told be she had never broken one they just grew at different lengths. She had tips before because the were a consistent length and shape

Because she wanted a french finish and loved the gloss of my nails I suggested an everlasting manicure using Brisa and she was thrilled with the end result.

I made less money but felt more honest. Would you have done the same ?

Absolutely Adele I have done this many times.
Clients with lovely long nails booked in for a full set expecting to have their own nails cut off and tips put on....as that is what has happened to them before!!
Once you have evened up their own nails and applied an overlay they are usually over the moon!!!...and tend to become long term, regular clients!!
So in the long run it is financially better for you!

Absolutely Adele I have done this many times.
Clients with lovely long nails booked in for a full set expecting to have their own nails cut off and tips put on....as that is what has happened to them before!!
Once you have evened up their own nails and applied an overlay they are usually over the moon!!!...and tend to become long term, regular clients!!
So in the long run it is financially better for you!

i get quite a few people that come in wanting a full set and i just refuse as there nails are too nice to cut them off and stick tips on! plus it would just be a waste of time and money for them! they are always pleased at the end when i do an overlay!

Latest posts

Back