On holiday and hating it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
My other half and I are currently in Africa. We were suppose to be staying with his friend for a couple of days then booking into hotels for the remainder of 2 weeks and spending time as a couple, romantic meals, and doing safaris .....so I was lead to believe:-(

6 days into what should of been a romantic trip, his friend, his friends family and there friends have dictated our holiday or rather highjacked it.

Gone have nice hotels with pools that I was promised with romantic dinners (brought lovely evening dresses) and in there place are 1 star family lodges which we had to drive 400miles in car to get too.

cheap food (chicken in a basket and burgers is all they have) and dodgy green/yellow pool.

I have been told that on Monday we are leaving this 'luxury lodge' to go and spend the remainder of my holiday in mud hut 300 miles away with his friend and they spend most of the time drinking then back to his for our last 2 days.

I bought lovely new clothes as we going stay in really nice places and go out for nice meals I now can't wear and of these as there not suitable for where his 'friend' is taking us.

I've done Africa before and it lovely and stayed in some beautiful places, but where I am is just awful and feel like crying.

I've turned down so much business to take the time off and just feel my holiday has been highjacked and taken from me.

I just want to get on a plane home

Last edited:
Can you not get your husband on his own and ask What the hell are his friends playing at? And stand your ground? I definatly would! A few days with friends (full on 24/7) is more than enough :( xx

Aw maybe you should have been firm before you went that if you were meeting friends, at least some of your holiday was only for you two, a bit late now but just go with the flow and make the most of it ( then get partner to book you a luxury weekend away!)

I have spoken to him, but as he has not seen his friend for 38yrs he doesn't want to rock the boat.....

Aw maybe you should have been firm before you went that if you were meeting friends, at least some of your holiday was only for you two, a bit late now but just go with the flow and make the most of it ( then get partner to book you a luxury weekend away!)

I was very firm with him and I only agreed to come as we were going to only spend 2 days with his friend and then book onto hotels ... I feel conned

I've tried to go with the flow, but this my holiday too and I don't do mud huts, cheap lodges, bird watching endless boozing or fishing which this so called 'holiday' seems to be about.

Aww hunny :( I feel for you! But I would honestly put my foot down n say let's stay in a hotel not a mud hut... His friend should realise it is YOUR holiday too xx

If my husband did this to me I would kill him:mad: x

He said as he's paying I don't get say where we stay:-(

I would be telling my other half he either books me into a very nice hotel for the remainer of this holiday or he gets me a plane ticket home as this is not what was agreed.

There is no way you should just allow this to happen and although he may be the one paying you have a right to what you were promised - I am sure you would have chosen to just stay at home & allow you other half to go meet his friend alone if the holiday had been described to you accuratley.

Don't feel you have to put up with this as you don't, would he do something he disliked just to keep your mates happy? I doubt it.

Really hope you get things sorted soon and your tucked up in a luxury hotel with lovely pool very soon.

If this man is serious about you he needs to get his head out of his selfish ass and start listening.

I'm sorry to be so blunt ( well actually I'm not) he led you there under false pretences.

Sit him down again, and tell him exactly how you feel. If he doesn't take note and act, then well....... Is he the man you want to really be with?

I really wished I'd stayed at home as I've turned away so much business for nothing and that I've spend money on clothes etc in the pretence of stay somewhere nice only to find out that I'm not and I feel conned

I'm really upset and just want to go home right now

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Haven't you got a credit card or something with you to just leave him to it?

What he's done is so unfair. If it was me I wouldn't utter another word to him throughout the holiday if I was stuck with him and his friend.

This 2 weeks might feel like forever, but when you get home he's got to deal with the consequences for alot longer - make sure that he knows that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I get the very strong impression that your husband has had his way for far too long! He needs to know that there will be consequences to avoid anything like this again. Oh my, my blood pressure is going sky high here!!!

:sad: ... on the plus side (if there is one), at least you have access to a computer, t'internet and Geeks for moral support.

He's obviously got sidetracked with his Mates which is a bit selfish as he said it was just a few days. Will he compromise and book you somewhere a bit like you expected but can still meet up with friends a few times? If not, you will just have to stick it out (if you can't or don't want to afford to book yourself somewhere else) then have a good talk when you get back. Maybe throw yourself into the hol then you can always say, I did the Africa hol for you, now do the next one for me/us

Oh my god I'm gutted for you! This happened to me in 2009 I went to the Dominican 2nd time and hated it (and my other half at the time) so £599 later I was on a flight home..on my own. Best thing I did xxx

Do you drink? Just a thought, get peed and REALLY enjoy your hol, he will prob book you somewhere quick smart if you seem to be enjoying it too much :)

He said as he's paying I don't get say where we stay:-(

What a selfish...... ugh makes me angry for you. I'm afraid I'd dump him in the nearest lake.:mad:

Aggree hotel or plane home please!

Latest posts

Back