On holiday and hating it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupidly left my CC at home :-(

We were suppose to leave today to spend a night at a luxury elephant ranch as a softener for me ( my partner offered last night) on the way to our mud hut however my partners F&&&&&@ friend now wont drive us as wants to stay where we are and do NOTHING

I have been here 7 days and all I've seen is donkeys, cows, goats and horses all of which can be found in merry old England

Not one safari

I wake up every morning to sound of donkeys, don't get me wrong I'm not a donkey hater i love them, but it's not what I had in mind of seeing everyday when I've made the effort to travel half way around the world and took unpaid leave for.

You say your partner's friend now won't drive you!! It's the WON'T that would concern me! Are you relying on this "friend" to take you back to the airport???? You both sound like you have been taken hostage by this so-called friend. Is you partner actually enjoying himself or is he afraid to stand up to this other person? All starting to sound a bit strange.

You say your partner's friend now won't drive you!! It's the WON'T that would concern me! Are you relying on this "friend" to take you back to the airport???? You both sound like you have been taken hostage by this so-called friend. Is you partner actually enjoying himself or is he afraid to stand up to this other person? All starting to sound a bit strange.[/QUOTE

I agree. Surely if he values your partners friendship he would take you where you need to go whether he agrees with it or not! Is your partner too scared to stand up to him? Are you in the middle of nowhere stranded? This all sounds well dodgy. Be careful x

He wouldn't take us as his wife and kid decided to go home this afternoon with friends so wanted to 'do nothing with them' instead

I think my partner is scared of rocking the boat as we are relying on him to take us back to the airport etc and to be honest my other half is not happy as he's paid out ££££ in flights to come back to africa to show me the country he grew up in and the wildlife in, only to stuck doing nothing I think he's had enough to now

I think this 'friend' of his is very very selfish and because he has lots of money feels he that everyone should tow the line and do things when he wants.

However of came to live over here we worked out he wouldn't have the lifestyle he has in africa that's for sure!

Both my other half and I have made a point of paying for our hotels, food etc and buying drinks as we don't want to be beholden to anyone.

He wouldn't take us as his wife and kid decided to go home this afternoon with friends so wanted to 'do nothing with them' instead

I think my partner is scared of rocking the boat as we are relying on him to take us back to the airport etc and to be honest my other half is not happy as he's paid out ££££ in flights to come back to africa to show me the country he grew up in and the wildlife in, only to stuck doing nothing I think he's had enough to now

I think this 'friend' of his is very very selfish and because he has lots of money feels he that everyone should tow the line and do things when he wants.

However of came to live over here we worked out he wouldn't have the lifestyle he has in africa that's for sure!

Both my other half and I have made a point of paying for our hotels, food etc and buying drinks as we don't want to be beholden to anyone.

Blimey so this "friend" is calling all the shots coz he knows you're relying on him to get you back to the airport! What a git!!!

I would think stuff the money and pay whatever it takes to get a taxi/flight to where you want to go and book into a hotel far away from him. Maybe if he realises you are serious that you will not be continuing your holiday there with him he may relent and drive you where you want to go. I honestly would not be able to put up with this a minute longer and would pay whatever it took to get away from the selfish pig! X

What a shame! My dad visited Africa once and told us how a Rhino charged the jeep they were in.
Ive always wanted to visit.
I really hope this holiday Improves for you.

Mmm, I'm starting to get confused now! What hotels??? AND from what you have been saying you both ARE being controlled by someone and there is no way on this earth I would be relying on this "friend" to take me to the airport!!! . I'm afraid I would be thinking NOW about how I would get back to the airport and start making tracks.

Sorry, I meant to say the accommodation/lodge we have been staying in we've paid for as he want to pay at first be we told him no we were paying.

We not in any danger or other anything.

It's just so annoying when one person ruins something for everyone else due their selfish behaviour!

Will be having another word with the other half as this just getting stupid and we need to start sorting things out for ourselves.

Last edited:
I don't think I could put up with all of that. I would hate to rely on this friend as he sounds so fickle.

Can't you fake an emergency at home or anything like that and request that he drops you somewhere that you can sort yourselves out 'to get home'? In times like this you have to become very imaginative. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Sorry, I meant to say the accommodation/lodge we have been staying in we've paid for as he want to pay at first be we told him no we were paying.

We not in any danger or other anything.

It's just so annoying when one person ruins something for everyone else due their selfish behaviour!

Will be having another word with the other half as this just getting stupid and we need to start sorting things out for ourselves.

At this point I would be switching to DEMAND mode!!!

I don't think I could put up with all of that. I would hate to rely on this friend as he sounds so fickle.

Can't you fake an emergency at home or anything like that and request that he drops you somewhere that you can sort yourselves out 'to get home'? In times like this you have to become very imaginative. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I was thinking just the same thing...
Even a selfish, horrible person, would be unlikely to refuse to give you a lift if you have a family emergency!

Just get him to drop you off in a sensible location or at the airport. Then once he is gone, you can decide whether to stay and complete your holiday or come home!

Update:

My other half has sorted things out finally and we went for a romantic bush walk together this afternoon minus his friend.

And had a lovely dinner watching some hippos which swam up near the river nr the lodge

We are leaving tomorrow at 7am local time to go somewhere else if I don't like it then I get choose where we are going to stay instead.

No more donkeys!

I get control of the holiday budget too:)

I am also stopping at the luxury elephant lodge tomorrow where you can see them up close which I'm really excited about:)

Hopefully now we can have we both wanted.

Thank geeks for all your support and your lovely posts which have kept me sane!

Hugs to everyone and I will post pics on here when I get back to show all you lovely geeks xxx

Glad you have sorted it to your satisfaction.... have a great time during the rest of your holiday. x

In some of your previous posts when you talk about your partner you speak about him very highly especially in the way he treats you, so this sounds like unusual behaviour on his part.

To act so out of character towards you suggests there may be something else going on that you may be unaware of.

However, the very good news is that you have sorted things out now.

Enjoy your holidays.

Sorry to jump in at the end but having been born in Africa and growing up there I have seen this so often. Old friends coming to visit, locals loving the visitors and deciding to show them the best of the bushland. I think they may have started out really wanting to help you enjoy your African experience the way the locals do, rather than the false tourism "dream" tbh the real africa is so far removed from the beautiful 5* hotel life that tourists get to enjoy. Maybe when you had a word they felt offended and then ........ A WOMAN CALLING THE SHOTS ?????? Whatever next LOL. Some southern africans are still very chauvinistc and bossy and also can seem aggressive and overpowering, but almost always it really is just their way and they dont mean to be intimidating.

I am pleased you have it sorted now, and I am pleased your other half got to see his old friend it is a shame that he did not stick up for you and tell his friend what he wants.( He should have but probably didn't want to offend his old pal either. It is like throwing peoles hospitality back in their face) I have known these "wealthy" game farm owners and it is a very male orientated society. The men rule the roost and wifey gets to bask in their glory. LOL ( I was one of those before I liberated myself and married and Englishman) Anyway, lesson well learned, you get to see the elephants and you got to do some of the romantic bits. Are you near the Okavango ? Makes me homesick. Enjoy the rest of you holiday and post some pics when you get back.

Latest posts

Back