One client's nails not lasting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipstick Kisses

Reaction score
Hiya, wondering if anyone can help as I've done everything I can think of!
I have one client who's Gelish nails just will not last the full 2 weeks. Everyone else's are fine but she gets about 10days and then they literally just pop off (I've checked her nails and there is never any damage so she's not peeling them). It's literally like her nails just reject them! None of my other clients have this problem except 1 and we solved that by putting a layer of hard gel under the Gelish but even that hasn't worked.
What do you think could be causing it and what do you recommend to help?
She has nice strong healthy nails which are always fine after its come off.
She doesn't do anything strenuous with her hands.
I'm always careful to make sure it's not touching my clients cuticles or sidewalls and I cap the free edge.
I've tried double dehydrating when prepping and I've tried a layer of hard gel underneath.
She hates having natural nails but says it's not worth it if it's not gonna last.
Can I help her or should I recommend she finds a good acrylic tech and try that? (I don't do acrylics)
Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible!

Not much help but unfortunately some people just can't wear gels, has she tried any other brands previous? Some people also find they don't get on with certain brands and can be fine with others!

I have one client who's Gelish nails just will not last the full 2 weeks. Everyone else's are fine but she gets about 10days and then they literally just pop off (I've checked her nails and there is never any damage so she's not peeling them). It's literally like her nails just reject them! None of my other clients have this problem except 1 and we solved that by putting a layer of hard gel under the Gelish but even that hasn't worked.
I'm always careful to make sure it's not touching my clients cuticles or sidewalls and I cap the free edge.
I've tried double dehydrating when prepping and I've tried a layer of hard gel underneath.
She hates having natural nails but says it's not worth it if it's not gonna last.
Can I help her or should I recommend she finds a good acrylic tech and try that? (I don't do acrylics)
Shellac does the same on my own nails, gel extensions lift like mad after 3 - 5 days to the point I have to remove as they're catching on everything. Acrylic however lasts perfectly, no lift nothing. I think my nails just can't wear gel x

I had a client like this. We ended up trying her on liquid and powder and it's perfect for her. No problems until her next appointment. Try suggesting other options

Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I don't do acrylics as I'm prone to migraines and they set me off so I'll just have to suggest she finds a good acrylic tech and warn her off the NSS salons! Such a shame as she's a really nice lady.

Do you only offer gelish?
To be honest 10 days is good wear? Why don't you just do her app every 10 days and offer her a slight discount to keep her?

I offer Gelish and Hard Gel extensions but Gelish is my only gel polish brand. All my other clients get at least 2 weeks, if not 3! I will discuss options with her tomorrow at her next appointment.

I offer Gelish and Hard Gel extensions but Gelish is my only gel polish brand. All my other clients get at least 2 weeks, if not 3! I will discuss options with her tomorrow at her next appointment.

Try and keep her if you can. Option could be an overlay with hard gel. Good luck

It's worth asking if she comes to you straight from swimming/long bath/sauna/spa/Aqua-aerobics etc because if her nails have been allowed to absorb water for a time, it could be they're still too moist for the product to adhere properly

Good thought but no, she usually walks the dog just before and she's at work before that. So frustrating not being able to figure it out!

I can spend all night thinking about things like this.. It's so disheartening but it happens to all of us.

It's the sort of thing I find myself thinking about if I wake up at like 3am

I had a client suddenly lose all acrylics within a few days yet she never has any lifting etc. Her nails are perfect at a 3 week infill appointment. A chat later and she'd gone to Amsterdam thought it might be a bit grotty and had used antibacterial hand gel constantly. Anti ageing creams, moisturisers etc, it's not always obvious what is causing lifting but after 10 days that's not too bad.

She may just be a 10 dayer from now on which isn't too bad

One of my ladies struggled to keep Gelish on her nails for more than a week, we tried lots of different combinations of things to get them to last and she now goes just over two weeks with having ibx application first. Maybe worth a try?

Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I don't do acrylics as I'm prone to migraines and they set me off so I'll just have to suggest she finds a good acrylic tech and warn her off the NSS salons! Such a shame as she's a really nice lady.
You can get acrylic that sets in the lamp that order less . Won’t give off fumes as won’t set till it goes in a UV lamp x

You can get acrylic that sets in the lamp that order less . Won’t give off fumes as won’t set till it goes in a UV lamp x

Nope, you can get acryligel that is cured in a LED/UV lamp but a traditional Liquid & Powder acrylic system will not cure in a lamp. They do not include a photoinitiator ingredient to cure them.

Also this thread is from 2016 and most of the contributors have left now so you probably won't get a reply from the user you quoted.

Hi there!

It sounds like you're doing a thorough job with your nail prep and application, so it's quite puzzling that your client's Gelish nails aren't lasting. Since you've already tried a layer of hard gel and double dehydrating, I have another suggestion that might help.

Have you considered trying a builder gel in a bottle? This product can be a game-changer for clients with nails that tend to reject other products. It provides a stronger base and might adhere better to your client's nail type. You can find some excellent options for builder gel in a bottle that might be just what you need.

As for acrylics, it's always an option, but if your client prefers to avoid them, experimenting with different base products like a high-quality builder gel could be the solution.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back