one length cut - how to stop graduation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*JOANNE*

Reaction score
i am having a problem when i do a one length cut...i was taught to hold the hair down between 2 fingers close to the back/neck (i am getting slight graduation) is this to do with my angle of the scissors or my fingers or that the hair is pulled out slightly from the back or the neck...iykwim...others i have seen comb the hair down the hold the comb against the hair to the back or neck....then cut....and also comb the hair down rest a finger against the hair to the back of the neck and cut parallell to the horizontal finger.....but by pushing the hair with the comb or finger..the ends turn up slightly...wouldnt this cause graduation too..........
so what is the best way...to cut one length.....

Hiya

I am training also , and had this prob , the best way I find to get a blunt cut is make sure hair is properly shampooed not just sprayed from a bottle , bring down SMALL sections at a time combing with the wide toothed end of your comb , i find the small side pulls the hair to taught , as you said pulling your two fingers down behind the comb as you go.
graduation is caused by pulling hair out at an angle every section your fingers must be as close to the neck/back (whatever the length is) vertically as possible.

however I am training also but have passed my one length by doing this but there may be a professional who may have other tips!

xx

Hi, if you leave the top layers a teeny bit longer each time this should eliminate the problem :hug: x

yep when i was taught we had to make the top a tiny bit longer , also make you cut as close to the skin as possible iykwim
hth x

thanks girls also i know you slightly bend the head forward if i was increase it a little bit more (make my client bend her head forward a tad more for each section...would that help too...??? instead of be bending the head forward quite a bit just increase little by little..or am i talking rubbish lol
bend the head forward slightly then comb down cut, then head forward a bit more then comb down and cut iykwim

Not much tension either,too much tends to be the main cause of this prob hth's x

Are you required to hold the hair in your fingers? Some times when cutting with no elevation on longer hair it is easier to use the comb to hold the hair, comb down, leave the comb in at your desired length and sculpt along the comb. If the head is tipped forward with this procedure you will get a slight underbevel and the hair will naturally turn under.

thank you jeni, thats what i am trying to achieve the under bevelled look...like the pages of a book when you hold them at an angle but longer ontop and shorter underneath....thank you

HI

Its all in the angel of your fingers, depending on the length of the hair your cutting, Keep your finger straight on then on your next section slightly tilt them down, very very slightly and proceed from there. Always have their chin on chest otherwise when they put their head down they will get graduation.

If the cut is on the skin you can still do it but you really should have chin on chest that way you get a much more accurate cut and better graduation. So if its in the nape do you first 4-5 section on the skin really fine, then go onto using your fingers or you wont get a good shape into the sides when you are done comb the hair really flat to the neck you shouldnt have any hair down, it should be a perfect line..

Hope that makes sense its been a long long day. :hug:

it does make sense, thank you :hug:

Latest posts

Back