One stroke help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I've just tried to do some one stroke nail art and it was a disaster!! It looks so easy but I can't do it! I don't really want to pay for a course as theres a lot more training I'm saving up for that is more important so I thought I'd teach myself. I've got a proper one stroke nail art brush and one stroke paints but I can't seem to load the brush properly and when I do some art it doesn't seem to merge like it should. Has anyone got any tips? Xx

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

What beautiful work. She makes it look so easy, would love to be able to do one stroke never any courses down here in Hampshire :(

I know how you feel! :( I have spent years perfecting the enhancement and now that every client comes through the door asking for fancy nail art I am stumped as I have to learn something new that I really dont have time for. I picked up a set of paints and brushes from my supplier yesterday and gave it a go, it was a disaster :( the paints are so thin it is impossible to get a one stroke petal. I wont give up yet and will keep searching for new paints ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1385305289.954673.jpg

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I know how you feel! :( I have spent years perfecting the enhancement and now that every client comes through the door asking for fancy nail art I am stumped as I have to learn something new that I really dont have time for. I picked up a set of paints and brushes from my supplier yesterday and gave it a go, it was a disaster :( the paints are so thin it is impossible to get a one stroke petal. I wont give up yet and will keep searching for new paintsView attachment 48752

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Those look really good!! I think it's my brush to be honest, i've ordered a new brush and some paints so i'll keep trying :( may have to look into a course with Gemma Lambert xx

Those look really good!! I think it's my brush to be honest, i've ordered a new brush and some paints so i'll keep trying :( may have to look into a course with Gemma Lambert xx

Just keep practicing! Like I said, I personally have a hard time giving up when I set my mind on it, just like everything else nails related, Practice and then practice some more

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I had a go at one stroke last night, I practiced a few times on paper then on the nail, it's so much harder on the nail! Am pretty pleased with the outcome though :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1385322172.958736.jpg

I had a go at one stroke last night, I practiced a few times on paper then on the nail, it's so much harder on the nail! Am pretty pleased with the outcome though :) View attachment 48788

They look lovely ....I absolutely love the effect of one stroke ....and oh my gosh you lovely geeks are so talented ....I just can't seem to grasp it....I got some acrylic paints yesterday as was desperate to have a go ...everyone makes it looks so easy .....and I found it really hard ...I only used a cheapie brush but just couldn't seem to get the right amount of paint on the brush....even after studying the tutorial posted here for ages ....maybe I gave up too easily lol....I'm embarrassed to show my first attempt but would value opinions as to what I'm doing wrong if anyone could help as really would love to perfect this TA Muchly x
Sorry pic not best quality taken with iPhone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1385324983.864361.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1385324983.864361.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 213
they look lovely ....i absolutely love the effect of one stroke ....and oh my gosh you lovely geeks are so talented ....i just can't seem to grasp it....i got some acrylic paints yesterday as was desperate to have a go ...everyone makes it looks so easy .....and i found it really hard ...i only used a cheapie brush but just couldn't seem to get the right amount of paint on the brush....even after studying the tutorial posted here for ages ....maybe i gave up too easily lol....i'm embarrassed to show my first attempt but would value opinions as to what i'm doing wrong if anyone could help as really would love to perfect this ta muchly x
sorry pic not best quality taken with iphone

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1385325324.279399.jpg

Sorry did that twice x

just out of curiosity, have you checked into an ART store that does the "one stroke paining" on a larger level? this way you learn how to do it with the larger brushes and on paper, get the technique down, and then it might be easier to translate it down to a smaller scale.

I also bet if it is at a store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby (here in US), it may be quite a bit less expensive also because it is for hobby painting and not nail techs?

Just an ide

Ela Loszczyk of the Nail Experts Academy and the former UK distributor of Astonishing Nails has just brought out a one stroke foundation training dvd. I got one and it takes you right through from the very basics to actual designs. She is on facebook. She is very thorough and you get a birds eye view, which you can watch/practise over and over until you get it.

I went to a one stroke training day a few years ago which was very good, but with this you have a constant reference and can keep checking back with the strokes, ways to hold the brush. Bit of an investment, but in some ways I've found it actually more helpful as she's always there when you want her - on your sceen! Might be worth a look? :)

Thankyou that sounds wonderful ....x

I would recommend having a look. One stroke is not easy and, to be frank, I've found this more helpful than a one off face to face training day! It sounds like heresy, I know, but in this particular instance I would seriously consider this dvd as a viable option. :)

Go slow , don't rush , one stroke makes its self sound quick , it is compared to some painting techniques but it still takes practice , and planing.

When you feel it's streaky let it dry and go back over each stroke , it will look better ,

If the color dose not merge well keep loading and blending the brush , press lighter ,

In the Donna dewberry DVDs she puts a lot of pressure and you can see the brisles bending .
But your working small . It tiny ,
Her brushes are about an inch 1/2long by 1 inch across ....
Yours might be 1 cm . Light strokes .

Your paint is another factor . Poly color works beautifully on nails ,so do the enamel folkart paints , and i hear good things about the crystal nails paints but i have t tried them my self :) x

What beautiful work. She makes it look so easy, would love to be able to do one stroke never any courses down here in Hampshire :(

forgive me if its been said already as i havent red thru all. but there is a cours in jan in portsmouth, im thinking of going. 60 for course 50 for kit its in jan. hosted by gemma lambert. if ur intrested msg me n ill giv u sum more details xxx

One stroke can take time to learn and longer to master... I've been doing it for a while but I'm still planning to do a course with crystal nails after Christmas to pick up more ways of doing things, I think I only know the basics and it taken a while to get it right.

it's important good paints and always keep the brush damp, I use liquitex and crystal nails one stroke paint which I love.

This is some of my work, but just keep practising and practising.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I literally just kept practising every day for 1/2 hour and then suddenly it worked.

Good luck x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 121
when I decided I wanted to do one stroke I contacted crystal nails and they advised to do the freehand painting first as this would give a good advantage as I hadn't used brushes to do art before, this course was great and really helped me to get used to using brushes and I am now booked for one stroke on sunday, cant wait :D

I literally just kept practising every day for 1/2 hour and then suddenly it worked.

Good luck x

Thank you, your the reason why I want to learn how to do it! Lol I love your work xx

Latest posts

Back