One therapist or more for not busy salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on this situation:

I'm open 5 days a week but therapist only comes in 3 days a week. Its working fairly well at the moment but even so, I'm not fully booked those 3 days. I suspect we do lose a little for clients who want the other 2 days but it didn't make sense before.
I started with 0 clients (I know, don't ask- really naive!) and now approaching 2 years old. I had hoped that by now I would be open 5 days a week for beauty. Positives are:
  • I've gone from massive wowcher style discounting to acquire clients to almost none besides treatwell
  • So we're not as 'busy' but clients are paying more, are better quality
  • My marketing spend is almost none besides treatwell (I consider that marketing cost)
  • We are developing a good reputation with 4 star plus reviews
  • We have time and energy to concentrate on the side of the business that keeps me alive
Negatives are:
  • Being so small and a business owner (not therapist), I find my hands tied by being so reliant on the therapist
  • Having gone through the experience of sudden, last minute absenteeism etc, I remember the scrambling to cancel appointments etc. Also, when I had a disciplinary situation, I did not grow the business for many months as I felt that I couldn't 'over-promise' and 'under-deliver'. I wasn't confident.
  • It would also mean that if the therapist is not working out, I won't delay so long sorting the situation out
  • My last therapist who went on maternity and coming back soon- I found that I lost quite a lot of clients who simply didn't bother trying the new therapist (they must be going somewhere!)
  • My new therapist is excellent at sales of products and good at her work. I'm reluctant to let her go but simply not busy enough. Again, they may simply never return.
I have an opportunity of bringing my old therapist back to her 3/week schedule and for the new one to continue with her 3/week. That means there will be a day where they are both there. I haven't asked but feel that the new therapist may leave if I cut her days down to 2/week. We will be giving the new 'beauty' a dedicated website (launching in a few weeks) and hopefully then, we will market a lot more. But I'm simply not confident that I have the right team. Btw, I can handle the financial upheaval of temporarily having 2 therapists- of course hoping that this improves within 2-3 months.

I'm rambling a bit but just not sure what to do. What would you do?

Can't you do some short courses yourself for example nail courses, waxing etc then even if you can't do every treatment you can do some of them. You can always rely on yourself and because it's your business you will be more bothered about keepin clients so will make sure u do a better job. When I started off I didn't kno anything about nails, hair beauty etc. Now I'm a fully qualified hairdresser and I can do nails, lashes, waxing and spray tans. You can keep your therapist and you do it on the other days or as an extra person.

You're competing against salons that are open 6 days a week, so if you're not offering their preferred days then they will automatically go somewhere else. I know it's hard when therapists leave but there are plenty who just want to turn up and work, rather than run their own business so you have to track them down! Not advertising is a false economy if you need clients, just ramp it up when you need and stop when you have enough business.

Lynseylashes- I can't do them myself as I'm the main income earner here (other services) and already struggling with my workload incl running a business.
PamieD- thanks for that. If I'm reading it correctly, its probably a good idea to be opened 5 days a week and simply take the plunge. We don't advertise mainly because I've not been confident about the level of service I feel I can offer with staff I felt I couldn't trust (mood swings, absenteeism etc). But now I'm more confident and we are already in the process of pushing things forward. Quite exciting actually. Its not a residential area and completely dead on weekends but things are likely to change in 2-3 years. I'd certainly prefer to be opened 6 days.

Just rambling about this has helped clarify things. Thanks for commenting.

If you don't mind me saying, from other posts you've made it does seem like you need better staff. Maybe you should ask an agency to find permanent staff for you?

I'm actually going to try an agency staff in the coming weeks due to holidays- looking forward to seeing if there's a difference.
I've not had that great luck with therapists but have a very good reception and admin team.
I've considered getting the agency to get permanent staff- when the time comes- does it make enough of a difference?

I'm actually going to try an agency staff in the coming weeks due to holidays- looking forward to seeing if there's a difference.
I've not had that great luck with therapists but have a very good reception and admin team.
I've considered getting the agency to get permanent staff- when the time comes- does it make enough of a difference?

Get in touch with the IIAA they have a recruitment department if your struggling with staff X

Oooh, thanks for the tip. Will certainly look into it.

Latest posts

Back