Online Aussie Mentor needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairylites

Reaction score
Hi there i amy currently studying for my certificate II in Nail technology (in Australia) and am in need of a mentor or some one i can ask questions of about the nail industry in australia. I have tried talking to my trainer but she doesn't have a lot of time to help me out. If any one is interested can you please pm me or i can be contated on MSN at [email protected]

Thanx in advance

Dany

Can't you just ask the questions on here, then you get input from lots of people.

Ok will ask the questions one at a time. first one is

Interview three experienced professionals in the beauty industry and ask the following questions:

1. Where have you worked ? (find out geographical location and type of business)
2. What did you learn in each different workplace?
3. How do you keep your knowledge upto date?

There are plenty of fellow Australian nail geeks.......hang in there and I'm sure some of them can give you the input you are after.:)

Interview three experienced professionals in the beauty industry and ask the following questions:

1. Where have you worked ? (find out geographical location and type of business)
I have only ever worked at my home salon, (I live in a small town) though I did my work experience in a salon in a town nearby.
Not alot. They took alot of short cuts, so I suppose the thing I learnt was that I wanted to have control over what products & techniques I use
Salon geek, magazines, try to attend expos & training courses & workshops as much as possible, but that's hard to do when your in the country. I also try to touch base with other beauty therapists near me & try to get treatments done whenever I can.

hth

I work in Canberra. I have worked for a nails only salon, doing nails in a full service beauty salon, from a home salon and now renting a space in a hairdressers.
Both the nails only and beauty salons taught me alot about dealing with clients and the importance of a speedy yet quality service, stock control and dealing with staff and I think gave me a really good work ethic(pride in what I did, loyality to the salons I worked for). All of which helped me to be able to work effectively on my own and run my own business.
I regularly attend training days not only with the product I use but anyone that is offering something interesting.I am a member of the APFA and visit the website for updates on the industry.Attend trade shows and compete in nail comps and check out the industry overseas by looking at sites like the nail geek,beauty tech.com and subscribing to nail mags like nailpro and nails.
Hope this helps.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, you have both been a big help

howdy, i'm from Aus, this may sound a little funny ... but ....
I'm a little adverse to answering questions from someone with the name "bytches" (I find it a tad offensive).

Ain't that odd ? I guess I may be a tad old fashioned ,but a name like "bytches" warrants some kind of experience, rather than a newbie wanting help.

Maybe i'm just being an old (deservedly so) bitch.

Maybe i'm just being an old (deservedly so) bitch.
:lol: Now look what you've done, you've gone & made her change her name.

LOL after carefull consideration i figured nailzoo was probably right my old name is a generic user name i use for most things so didn't think any more about it when i signed up but i can see how to some it might have been offensive so i decided on a change to a more user friendly one lol.

Still need one more interview if any one is interested..

Thanx again

I have done work experiance as part of my training @ a salon in Adelaide.. Hair/Skin/Nails and Retail. I was there for 2 weeks a total of 35 hrs. I have my own home salon now..
That i loved the atmosphere and vibrancy of a well run salon... The customer comes first..Talking to and acomadating clients.. That no two nail tech works to the same speed/ability... that i also have interest in other fields of the beauty industry.
I learnt to keep a record of stock.. to display stock.. to sweep floors every time i thought i had a break.. That the manager/Owner is GOD!
In my salon i have learnt all of the above.. and to give myself a break.. to seperate home and business and to never work on a Monday!!
I subscribe to magazines.. Network with people i have met within the industry.. keep an open mind.. find as many outlets that can further my skills.. and just lately do conversion courses when im interested in using a product.. I never stop practising.. talking with my clients about what they like.. dont like.. and keep a journal.

hope this helps..:green:

I've worked in both NSW & QLD

Professionalism - Prestige & Productivity

Various infomative web forums & mailing lists.
Attending regular workshops & training updates.

XX J XX

Thank you all again for your help this information has been very usefull to me. Will post again if i have any further questions.

Thanx again for your time

Latest posts

Back