Online nail course help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsunny

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m new here so excuse me if I sound naive or ignorant to some things.

Currently I’m studying law at University, juggling a part time job in a supermarket and during isolation and throughout summer I want to try and learn how to do gel nails. I’ve been doing gels myself on my own nails for around two years, just watching youtube videos etc. I have a lamp and all the required equipment but my polishes are from Premier Gel, not sure if they’re the best but they've kept me going.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is I want to learn properly as I know youtube videos aren’t the best to take advice from so maybe I can start taking Instagram pictures and maybe in a few years start taking clients. I am very new to this.

Is it possible if I do an online course, get insured and start posting on Instagram just doing gel polish (not gel extensions) I’m not rushing, I know this isn’t an overnight process but I’m just wondering on some advice. Online course recommendations would be useful as I don’t have time to go to college, and I can’t even go right now because of isolation.

And also, there’s an Instagram page @sthelensbeautyacademy and they offer nail courses online but I’m confused what certificate allows me to work with other people and isn’t just a mock of certificate.

I hope that makes sense, if there’s any good online courses please leave them below. I hope everyone is staying safe during isolation!

For a day course only in gel polish I thoroughly recommend when this is all over going to Bondlink in Hemel Hempstead. A day course in manicure first would also be very beneficial to help you understand the anatomy of the skin and nail for a more in depth knowledge than just the gels.

However if it’s more of a keeping busy while this is going on type thing, an online course and doing them on yourself would suffice. I would look up gateway as I know they do some online courses. Usually to get a certificate you need to have shown you can follow the instruction by a tutor so you probably wouldn’t be able to practice on others as a job without an in person qualification, but in the present times who knows! Do lots of research and check the reviews as many of the online courses aren’t completed until after a one day practical at the end usually in the small print.

As for working on other people, we are all unemployed at the moment so I would personally be focusing my energy into relaxing when at home as you are already doing so so much and not being able to practice on lots of people is going to make it more difficult and add to the stress already on your shoulders. The theory side can require a lot of brainpower and already doing so much with the law and being a key worker, I 100% think you are entitled to chill out. :) But do your research and think about it for after. If this keeps your mind off it, maybe a course just for at home would suffice to keep your mind occupied and happy.

Thank you for going to work while we can’t, couldn’t be more grateful.

Most online courses are not considered to be serious in the industry. However, there is no legal requirement to obtain any training in order to practice as a Nail Tech, a loophole that many of the online course exploit.

The effort to learn to be a competent Nail Tech is not dissimilar to obtaining a driving licence. It's can't be done in a few hours and you really do need a teacher to monitor your work and guide you.

My advice would be to read the following:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-N...&keywords=marian+newman&qid=1586519827&sr=8-1
This provides all the information you need, so when you come to take a class you only have the practical aspect to master.

Other essential reading is from Doug Schoon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...=1&keywords=Doug+schoon&qid=1586519948&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...1&keywords=Doug+schoon&qid=1586519948&sr=8-2*
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...=1&keywords=Doug+schoon&qid=1586519948&sr=8-3

thank you so much

Latest posts

Back