SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belleypopps

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m new here - I am seeking information about online nail tech courses.
Has anyone completed one of these courses and gone on to offer treatments from home?
I would like to train in acrylics, gel etc. I have found a number of courses online which include the kit and nail Trainer hand, however, I am unsure which would be best to do. There is one which is offered by open study college - which is just under £1000. I don’t want to enrol and pay money if it isn’t a good company to train with. Any information would be great. Thanks

Hi I used new skills academy the course was £50 and 25 hours of learning. You also learn pedicures. A lot of reading tho. If your not a reader then I would suggest not doing it. Although I felt it was very helpful. It finishes off with an exam I passed first time was very easy. I did the course in 5 days I just kept reading as much as I could x

Hi I used new skills academy the course was £50 and 25 hours of learning. You also learn pedicures. A lot of reading tho. If your not a reader then I would suggest not doing it. Although I felt it was very helpful. It finishes off with an exam I passed first time was very easy. I did the course in 5 days I just kept reading as much as I could x

Welcome to the site @AmyMay1997.

I’m curious to know if this was an accredited course enabling you to gain insurance, as without any practical work and just lots of theory reading, it seems a very speedy way of learning.

Hi all. I’m new here - I am seeking information about online nail tech courses.
Has anyone completed one of these courses and gone on to offer treatments from home?
I would like to train in acrylics, gel etc. I have found a number of courses online which include the kit and nail Trainer hand, however, I am unsure which would be best to do. There is one which is offered by open study college - which is just under £1000. I don’t want to enrol and pay money if it isn’t a good company to train with. Any information would be great. Thanks

You may want to take a look and do some research into Essential Nails for distance learning, although personally speaking, you really can’t beat award winning “hands on” training, which many of the well known brands are able to offer.

Yes it is an accredited course. Theirs plenty of practical work involved in the course. It is classed as a distance learning course.
Yes hands on training is preferred but not everyone can afford to pay out 400 pound for a hands on training course.

I’d also recommend a hands on course if you can. Nail extensions look easy but require many hours of practice before you’ll feel competent. This is much easier when you have an educator beside you.

I did an evening course at college for 8 months and felt that it was at the right pace. It gives you the basics you need to know and the time to practice in the right environment.

Good luck on your course.

I agree with what the person above said. I feel it could be more beneficial for you to take a practical course in a college setting. I am taking my level 3 in nail technology at college and it's so helpful because we get to practise on eachother and the tutor is always there to answer as many questions as need be.

I did the new skills academy course, I think I got it for <£20 on Groupon or similar. I used it as a taster to see if I wanted to commit to training in nails. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than this, it's very vague in the information and instructions

One analogy is that the time and effort required to learn the theory and practical skills to become a competent Nail Tech is not dissimilar to learning to drive a car.

Like the others, I would strongly recommend face-to-face training, where the teacher can correct mistakes and make your progress faster. What you are doing here is the foundation of your future career. Everything else will build on this including your ability to stand out against the local competition and attract the best, quality-led, customers.

HI, I am new too, I am completeing the online next step course...its not a massive amount of money (about £500 - I didnt get kit as I wanted to research it properly) I have got student insurance through it though, but I have taken it online specifically with a view to deciding which areas/products I would like to work in/with. I am already eyeing up one on one training, but personally decided that I wanted to 'get the basics' down before deciding on a specific system to trial.

I think that it def ISN'T enough on its own though....for example, my mum has gel polish and her nail is yellowing at the tip, I have done basic nail anatomy/issues but am not confident in what it is and how best to recommend.. (I am researching and finding out - before anyone shouts at me).so would be wary of taking proper clients on until my knowledge is more solid. Its okay being about to paint a nail/extend it but health and saftey isnt covered enough on these courses!

Having sat and started learning...and having tips fall off, and forms stick to me, and acrylic run all over the place...lol...., I can really see the value in personal training and I will be following this route after my online basics. But as a starting point dont see the harm in online to work your pathway out.

Have you looked at the specific brand training? Some seem to do some great courses and may be worth a look, but you can be tied to the brand so be aware of it xx

Latest posts

Back