Online Self Assessment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys

I'm also doing my Self Assessment for the first time in 4 years.

I'd like to know how much you can claim for milage/petrol/car insurance/cost of car.
How much you can claim for household bills - internet/phone/gas/electric/water.

Sundries - milk, tea, coffee, laundry

Clothes - uniform etc

Or does anyone know how you can work this out?

Just got rid of my VERY expensive Accountant to save some money as last year, she charged me £305 and I had a big tax bill, plus I did all of my own receipts & income on a spreadsheet. :|

Thanks! xzxx

would it be a good idea to do it as cashing up sheets, such as shops use? I always thought that would be a way to keep it more organized?

Hi Guys

I'm also doing my Self Assessment for the first time in 4 years.

I'd like to know how much you can claim for milage/petrol/car insurance/cost of car.
How much you can claim for household bills - internet/phone/gas/electric/water.

Sundries - milk, tea, coffee, laundry

Clothes - uniform etc

Or does anyone know how you can work this out?

Just got rid of my VERY expensive Accountant to save some money as last year, she charged me £305 and I had a big tax bill, plus I did all of my own receipts & income on a spreadsheet. :|

Thanks! xzxx

I have an accountant cheaper than yours and he is a life saver. Did your accountant give you a break down of things like this? Mine does, just thought you may be able to see from that.

would it be a good idea to do it as cashing up sheets, such as shops use? I always thought that would be a way to keep it more organized?

I'm now using an iPad for bookings which saves all my takings, but in previous years I was just going back through my paper diary and writing the amount next to each service. #ballache :)

Ive noticed that some of you have said about getting the money back for cars,petrol etc.i thought you just claimed it as an expense and it was tax free so it isnt counted as profit,but it sounds like you are actually expecting them to give you the money back for things you have brought.i didnt think it worked like this,please correct me if im wrong as im a bit confused now :/

For anyone thats confused about the Self Assessment give 0845 9000 444 a call. The advisors are tax trained and should be able to answer all your queries.

The number is for HMRC's SA helpline.

Ive noticed that some of you have said about getting the money back for cars,petrol etc.i thought you just claimed it as an expense and it was tax free so it isnt counted as profit,but it sounds like you are actually expecting them to give you the money back for things you have brought.i didnt think it worked like this,please correct me if im wrong as im a bit confused now :/

You were correct to think it is just claimed as an expense, they do not pay you back.

Does anyone have any idea how I'd work out the % I put as an expense for electric/gas/water for the clients I do at home?
I only work for home about 1 day a week.
Thanks x

Oh and I'm wondering what I do about my car? I bought it in December & it's mostly used for work. Can I put a % as an expense? What about insurance/petrol?

Thanks xx

Oh and I'm wondering what I do about my car? I bought it in December & it's mostly used for work. Can I put a % as an expense? What about insurance/petrol?

Thanks xx

This is why I have an accountant, saves me all the hassel and he doesn't charge that much, and also it's an expense so goes thur the books.

Divalou,

I really must echo a previous post, you need to contact HMRC and get yourself on the Newly Self Employed and the Business Expenses workshops or webinars. All your queries are answered in these workshops and you can be confident in the answers you are given rather than getting lots of different answers from different Geeks who, with respect, are not going to pay your fine when you get it wrong ;) seriously, the workshops are worthwhile.

Thanks for the tip about the webinars! Xx

Latest posts

Back