Online shop advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBeezy

Reaction score
Anybody else had a shop on there website online? I am soon to be supplying my own hair extensions and products and looking at adding this to my website.

What’s best payment method to use? Been looking at PayPal but seems to take a large percent 3.4% + 20p per transaction but good thing about it they don’t have to have a PayPal acc to pay they can pay with debit or credit card too.

Thanks in advance xx

I think sagepay is probably the most popular and is as easy (hard) as any to hook into woocommerce or whatever you are useing. It might be worth also putting your hair products on Etsy.com or even eBay useing paypal for 5% more because unless your site is super popular you will only sell from your webiste to your current customers as no one else will find it. Personally i would start with Etsy cos e-commerse is by no means simple.

I don't have a beauty online shop but I did set up Hubby with a website shop for his small sideline selling classic car parts. His turnover is around £20k a year.

He has found that everyone prefers to pay via PayPal. The only times he gets a non PayPal method is when he does an over the phone transaction. We also offer bank transfer but although this sometimes gets selected as method of payment at checkout stage - NO WONGA and it's annoying to have to keep checking.

We have debit and credit card options through the usual portal. But no-one ever chooses this. It's incredible. PayPal rules apparently. Hubby is known in the industry with loads of person to person recommendations, and excellent Google presence. If someone googles a part that he stocks (for a very niche car) he comes up first. His name and photo, plus me and darling grandchild are all over the web in the dark corners where classic petrol heads lurk. So even though people know him very well, they still prefer to pay via PayPal.

We keep meaning to ditch the online card facility because there are minimum payments etc which make this a hugely expensive option for the tiny amount we take via cards. The good thing about PayPal is that the costs are small when you are small.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a beauty online shop but I did set up Hubby with a website shop for his small sideline selling classic car parts. His turnover is around £20k a year.

He has found that everyone prefers to pay via PayPal. The only times he gets a non PayPal method is when he does an over the phone transaction. We also offer bank transfer but although this sometimes gets selected as method of payment at checkout stage - NO WONGA and it's annoying to have to keep checking.

We have debit and credit card options through the usual portal. But no-one ever chooses this. It's incredible. PayPal rules apparently. Hubby is known in the industry with loads of person to person recommendations, and excellent Google presence. If someone googles a part that he stocks (for a very niche car) he comes up first. His name and photo, plus me and darling grandchild are all over the web in the dark corners where classic petrol heads lurk. So even though people know him very well, they still prefer to pay via PayPal.

We keep meaning to ditch the online card facility because there are minimum payments etc which make this a hugely expensive option for the tiny amount we take via cards. The good thing about PayPal is that the costs are small when you are small.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I am swayed towards PayPal more just because it’s always my preferred way to pay. Also due to laziness I find entering card details becomes a pain and puts me off ordering as I don’t always have my cards on me if I’m out & about whereas PayPal you just log in.

The only downside to PayPal is I think they take a higher % so need to weigh up my options.

Good point. I never thought of this, but like you, I always pay via PayPal if that's an option. And yes, card payment only does put me off - I just didn't make the connection.

For what it's worth, we have 5 years online trading experience.

Good luck!

I think its imperative you have paypal & credit and debit options. Some people don't have paypal. Also google do their own payment service now.

integrated payment systems such as sagepay use worldpay as the merchant and worldpay can sometimes be a pain and hold funds.

also phone payments if you plan to take them, you need an encrypted phone line to take the payments.

I’ve heard of something called shopify but not sure the ins an outs with that? A friend of mine has an online shop selling crafts which she takes both PayPal and debit/credit but think her website is an own made one she’s done herself. So confusing [emoji23]‍♀️ x

I’ve heard of something called shopify but not sure the ins an outs with that? A friend of mine has an online shop selling crafts which she takes both PayPal and debit/credit but think her website is an own made one she’s done herself. So confusing [emoji23]‍♀️ x

Hiya :)

You know my recommendation anyway :)

Shopify has pros and cons but yeah, it’s a full DIY system and you need the time to set it up. It’s a monthly fee.

Like any DIY system, you wouldn’t own the website.

Hiya :)

You know my recommendation anyway :)

Shopify has pros and cons but yeah, it’s a full DIY system and you need the time to set it up. It’s a monthly fee.

Like any DIY system, you wouldn’t own the website.

Yeah. Just been seeing what would work best. Most I’ve spoke to would prefer PayPal. Would there be an option to have both PayPal and direct debit/credit?

Thanks [emoji4]

Yeah. Just been seeing what would work best. Most I’ve spoke to would prefer PayPal. Would there be an option to have both PayPal and direct debit/credit?

Thanks [emoji4]
Certainly can do :)

The biggest risk with PayPal for sellers is if they say they didn't receive their stuff, you'll lose your money and any dispute with PayPal every single time. PayPal never sides with the seller.

I use stripe, I find it good so far but I don’t have high sales just yet. I also use stripe for my 50% booking fee. It takes around a week to get to my back account though.

Latest posts

Back