Onycholysis - anyone got personal experience of this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
Hi guys , well ive been trying to sort my poor nails out since jan, and at last all the work was paying of, my nails were finally starting to look nice, no more splits no more lifting etc,and the koilonychia has even nearly gone, my nails are normal shaped now and not severely spon shaped anymore, i was even going to take pic to show the improvement since i last put pics in my gallery.

Then today i noticed it again - yes, onycholysis on one nail and the more i look, i think its going to start on at least 2 more, at first i just thought i was finally getting a little white free edge, but seeing as my nails arent very long not even to the bulbous part of finger yet, there seems to be a lot of white edge , so i think its actually more onycholysis starting, :cry::cry::cry:

now has anyone got any experience of this themselves, i mean ive read about it in books and in my college notes etc, but they always seem to suggest that the nail will grow out and then it will be ok, well its took nearly 9 months for my nails to re-grow and now its appeared again, will it grow out this time? or am i doomed with this forever? also should i keep cutting this nail back, to try and limit how much is lifting?

its really depressing me , as i cant wear enhancements and my nails look crap tbh, and its not going to help my business is it?

Hey! I'm sorry for you problem, I had Onycholysis in my ring fingers. My ringer fingers are odly shaped anyway, and I'm positive it was caused from a badly fitted tip..It all happened at Nail School! My nails are really flat except for my ring fingers.. It took a few years of care, solar oil. I had tried to do tips again and same thing happened again, I honestly think that it is perminent damage there, but takes a little bit of trama to make it happen, so I just stay clear of nails all together on me.. I have no problems anymore.. But it took time.. Give it time..

Do you think that it could be due to overfiling the natural nail?

The main cause of onycolysis on extended nails is excessive filing. If tips have been applied and then blended on the nail overfiling can occur.
If the client breaks the nail and another tip is applied-( tip again and more blending) in the same area this can start onycholysis.
If this occurs the nails must NOT be soaked off but filed down in length and depth. I would always use antiseptic drops such as youngs Thymol twice a day to prevent infection.

I recently had a lady come in to the salon who had onycholysis on all nails half way down them all. The thymol worked a treat. After about 8 weeks the nails had grown out and the client had a set of nails put on for her holiday but i sculpted the nails. This was about 6 weeks ago and she hasn't had any problems x x x

I only sculpt but when i used to apply tips i would always file down the top of the tip before applying to the nail, so that i had to do less blending in.
hth jo x

I have it in my wedding ring finger (which annoys me as when I show someone my engagement ring I get really concious and try and hide my nail!)

I also have psoriosis which can cause it too, sometimes with pitting also, but I have found that if I put a tip, overlay or even just polish on for a week it starts to grow normally and bond back on to my skin.....weird, but as soon as I remove it, it lifts again!
Very bizarre!:rolleyes:

Have recently had this happen to me, don't know what caused it, but suspect it was from a new set I had applied after I had had a minor operation. (all my enhancements had to be taken off for the op). I had all my nails tipped and crushed shells in the acrylic. The set was done by the same nail tech I have been going to for years and I have had tips before (although I get on better with sculpts). So there seemed to be no reason for it happening. I suspect in my case it may have been to do with the general anaestetic. Anyway, my nail tech recommended dropping tea tree oil under the free edge a few times every day. It has certainly helped and 7 weeks on my nails are nearly back to normal.

I have it in my wedding ring finger (which annoys me as when I show someone my engagement ring I get really concious and try and hide my nail!)

I also have psoriosis which can cause it too, sometimes with pitting also, but I have found that if I put a tip, overlay or even just polish on for a week it starts to grow normally and bond back on to my skin.....weird, but as soon as I remove it, it lifts again!
Very bizarre!:rolleyes:

Thats why I say, from my own experience in having it, I do think it is semi perminent. And need some kind of trama for it to pull away again.. So your polish or overlay may be protecting it or something..

Well I have a strange onycholosis story myself.

If I touch anything with mould on ie rotten fruit or damp clothing - you can guarantee I will get oncycholosis in about 4 or 5 fingers. It lasts a few weeks so I have to cut my nails down short but you can see where the hyponichium is falling away.

Its very annoying and looks awful. I use australian bodycare pure tea tree oil down the nail applied with a cotton bud for a while and it helps.

Havent checked this out with the doc but Im guessing this is just a reaction to something which is probably very rare.

Creative toughen-up contains a prouduct call dimethylurea ( I think thats the one ), if used for upto 3 months helps recross the cells, and should be some help to your poor nails ( I think ) I have never had it myself (yet) One more thing to think about is onycholysis can be caused, by an allergic reaction.

Hi guys , well ive been trying to sort my poor nails out since jan, and at last all the work was paying of, my nails were finally starting to look nice, no more splits no more lifting etc,and the koilonychia has even nearly gone, my nails are normal shaped now and not severely spon shaped anymore, i was even going to take pic to show the improvement since i last put pics in my gallery.

Then today i noticed it again - yes, onycholysis on one nail and the more i look, i think its going to start on at least 2 more, at first i just thought i was finally getting a little white free edge, but seeing as my nails arent very long not even to the bulbous part of finger yet, there seems to be a lot of white edge , so i think its actually more onycholysis starting, :cry::cry::cry:

now has anyone got any experience of this themselves, i mean ive read about it in books and in my college notes etc, but they always seem to suggest that the nail will grow out and then it will be ok, well its took nearly 9 months for my nails to re-grow and now its appeared again, will it grow out this time? or am i doomed with this forever? also should i keep cutting this nail back, to try and limit how much is lifting?

its really depressing me , as i cant wear enhancements and my nails look crap tbh, and its not going to help my business is it?
I noticed this on both of my pinkies, before I had done my foundation course and had no idea what it was.
It comes back from time to time and I just keep my nails short and apply solar oil 3 times a day.
HTH:)

The main cause of onycolysis on extended nails is excessive filing. If tips have been applied and then blended on the nail overfiling can occur.
If the client breaks the nail and another tip is applied-( tip again and more blending) in the same area this can start onycholysis.
If this occurs the nails must NOT be soaked off but filed down in length and depth. I would always use antiseptic drops such as youngs Thymol twice a day to prevent infection.

I recently had a lady come in to the salon who had onycholysis on all nails half way down them all. The thymol worked a treat. After about 8 weeks the nails had grown out and the client had a set of nails put on for her holiday but i sculpted the nails. This was about 6 weeks ago and she hasn't had any problems x x x

I only sculpt but when i used to apply tips i would always file down the top of the tip before applying to the nail, so that i had to do less blending in.
hth jo x

Here here my best mate I agree with you all the way. Only thing I would add is check for psorisis (sic) of the nails this can also caus Onycholsis

hi guys

thanks for all the replies, seems im not the only one who has has this for no reason,

most of you are mentioning excessive filing etc, can i just say i dont wear enhancements and havent worn a set since dec last year, so its nothing to do with bad tech practises

its something else which must be causing it , and it was interesting that someone mentioned it can be caused by an allergic reaction, as my life is filled with allergies to food etc and a very restrictive diet (which caused my weak damaged nails in the first place) so i wonder have i not found everything i am sensitive too and a product i am coming into contact with is causing this? the only good thing i can say is, its not L&P, cos i aint used it for months until yesterday, so its not that , phew lol

suppose its back to lashing of solar oil and see what happens and i like the sound of creative toughen up, will have to get some of that when i go on my course

anymore ideas or advice gratefully recieved though

thanks xxxxxx

If you keep getting it on the same fingers I would try using flexi wrap (or tech tape - some people call it different things) on those specific fingers each time you USE a file on OTHER people. I had no idea why I was getting it on the pinky on my right hand until I realised I was resting the file right in the corner of my own nail when rebalancing. This was inadvertantly putting pressure on my nail and filing it down by mistake.

Ever since I realised this I have worn flexi wrap (bit like a bandage or plaster type thing) on that finger and my thumb each time I'm doing a rebalance or a new set on someone (don't bother for manicures as not as much filing to do) and I've never experienced a problem since.

hth xx

I totally agree with the use of flex wrap to protect the nails and also tea tree oil as it is a strong natural anti bacterial agent that will kill off anything that wants to head to your nail plate. Make sure you give you nails a good scrub between clients as I'm sure you do and hope it sorts itself out.

Latest posts

Back