Onycholysis UV gel extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovycow

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client who had a lot of bad luck during the quarantine. She recently had chemotherapy and has slight onycholysis on the tips of her fingers from chemo. Also she’s a bad nail biter: She’s very upset about the nails and now that everything is opening up she texted me opening up. She sent me a few pictures where I can see the tip of the nail is white and flaking off. There’s no sign of fungus. She’s got about 3 nails like this. Can I do a UV gel new set on her anyway or will it enhance the onycholysis?

Probably yes. It's not recommended to add extra length to any damaged nail but chemo damage is so extensive I wouldn't even consider it. I probably wouldn't use Gel Polish either, I'd want to keep any eye on them so manicure and normal polish only if itcwere6my client.

Thanks so much. It looks like this. Is it even onochylosis?? I’m not sure from what she sent me

Attachments

• 157DC3C8-6101-4E9C-BF15-8ED99BF97101.jpeg
    157DC3C8-6101-4E9C-BF15-8ED99BF97101.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 66
Thanks so much. It looks like this. Is it even onochylosis?? I’m not sure from what she sent me

I can't tell, picture is too blurry, I can see sone kind of seperation at the free edge but that could just be dehydration delamination.

Ok, asked her for a closer pic because I can’t see either. She said that nail isn’t falling off but the white part is tearing and she has this on several nails.
Hm.. if it’s dehydration would it still be ill advised to put on the set?

Attachments

• 4C20DE5C-0DF2-44C9-952B-C6EBBC5CAF2D.jpeg
    4C20DE5C-0DF2-44C9-952B-C6EBBC5CAF2D.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Ok, asked her for a closer pic because I can’t see either. She said that nail isn’t falling off but the white part is tearing and she has this on several nails.
Hm.. if it’s dehydration would it still be ill advised to put on the set?
Nope, still can't tell

If she had chemo, its most likely the nail growth has slowed significantly during the period of chemo. And so when she stopped chemo and when the nail grew out you can see where the nail stopped producing cells. It should be fine to do the gel but you just want to fill in the void spot and not file the nail down to make it even.

Latest posts

Back