Onycholysis ??!!??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny-Nails

Reaction score
Before I begin, I must apologise in advance if I have made a spelling mistake!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the following:

I have a client who came to me with 'acrylic' nails already on (done by someone else)...and onycholisis on/in her thumb nail.

She has been coming to me for about 5 months now, and visits every 2 weeks.

I have explained to my client what onycholysis is and the triggers for it. I keep her nail short, and keep an eye on the matter.

I have recommended she wears rubber gloves, NEVER digs down her nail to 'try and clean it out', and adheres to strict 'hand hygiene'....but she continues to ignore my advice and the last time I saw her, I thought the nail looked a little worse, looking very pale (whiteish) in colour and a hint of green in areas!

My client works with food all day, mainly fried foods...and says she cannot get on with wearing gloves for cooking and pot washing..so without trying to sound too gross....she does have ...erm...food stuff around her eponychium.hyponichium areas.

I have been advised to cut back the ofending nail to expose the underneath bit that isn't attached, and this will help it grow back. I'm apprehensive about doing this, plus, my client is adamant that she does not want this.

I'm torn between what I should do as a technician, respecting my client's wishes...and what to do as a technician, respecting the interests of the natural nail!

Please give any info you think I would find helpful/useful.

Many thanks in advance

Jenny-Nails :D

sawasdee ka jenny nails

i very happy you make this link and i wish you not mind i ask some same you ka .

i have photos of onychomycosis and onychocrytosis and onychogryposis nail candidiasis and pararitium and pachyonychia and longitudinal lines and hippocratic nail .

i want to know what make this problem with nail i have in magazine nail clinic but i can not read japan have the problem in english but every thing for speak in japan .

i wish some body can speak about this ka

kop khun ka mui ka .

Hi Jenny - As you know already, Onycholysis is the seperation of the nail plate from the nail bed (see the tutorial on this site)! There are no creams etc that can cure this; the main cure is to keep the nail short and give the advice that you have given - not prying undernieth and not using objects to try and clean it. If the client wears enhancements, the enhancement must be shortened and the coating thinned. One of the best ways to stop clients 'messing' when a problem like this occurs, is to keep the nails enameled and then they can't actually see the problem! When they come back to you for a re-balance and you remove the enamel, the nail has generally grown back up the bed and the Onycholysis is on it's way to disappearing. I hope this helps! ;)

SAWASDEE KA

i speak b4 in this 1 and my question never any body speak but i would like to ask if any body know why nail go like this i speak b4 .

Mui ka from the land of smiles

Well if she insists on not wearing gloves, especially when preparing food, then she is going to get aliens worming their way in isn`t she?
You sound like you`re doing everything possible for her but if these aliens will get in they`ll just end up squatting and they won`t come out again, and we all know what most squatters do to a property.
It sounds to me like they`ve got in and done some damage, I would recommend she see her GP, maybe then she`ll come back to you and heed your advice.
As for the damage, if she has got greenies and she`s handling food, yuk, I`d want to avoid the food she`s dishing up

mui said:
SAWASDEE KA- i speak b4 in this 1 and my question never any body speak but i would like to ask if any body know why nail go like this i speak b4. Mui ka from the land of smiles
Sawasdee Ka Mui - Onycholysis can happen when you have caused trauma to the natural nail like bashing it into something - this trauma can cause the plate to separate from the bed. One of the most common ways however is during a full set or rebalance - sometimes teks can get carried away with their abrasive when buffing down or removing shine:rolleyes: and although you can't see the problem at that time, as the nail plate grows up the nail bed, when the thinnest part of the nail creeps towrds the free edge (that's the area that has been thinned), it can pop from the bed - it looks like the tip of your nail goes way lower down the plate than it should. You don't generally feel it happening and it doesn't hurt - it just looks 'naff'. I have done this to myself on my pinkies :rolleyes: 1000 times from getting carried away when trying to rebalance myself...it has always grown back but I do keep the nail short and I don't mess with it at all. Hope this paints a picture :| for you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back