Onychomycosis???????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Reaction score
Hello,

I know it's early, but i need some advice please.

A couple of years ago i noticed that my toe nail had gone yellow, quite thick and was starting to crumble away at the side.

i went to see a chiropodist (sp??) and she refered me to my doctor.

My doctor sent toe nail clippings away to be tested, but they came back clear.

He then refered me back to the chiropodist who advised me that my nail was just loose and if it didn't hurt me (which it didn't), then there was nothing they could do and maybe one day it would attach itself again - she said i'd probably knocked my nai when running etc...

Anyway, i've just been painting my nails eversince to hide it.

This morning i've taken off my old polish (that has been on about a month and was growing out), to find that my toe nail is partly greenish tinge to it about half way down the nail at the point where the yellow stops.

Well after nearly fainting with shock, i've called the doctor and got an appointment for Monday.

Do you think it could be Onychomycosis - or am i wasting his time??

It doesn't hurt - just looks horrid.

is there anything i can do in the mean time to aid it

Sorry if this has put anyone off there breakfast:)

Em.xx

My husband has just started taking medicine for the same thing, and I diagnosed it and sent him to the doctor.

Is your chiropodist qualified??? I mean a proper chiropodist and a member of an association because I have never heard such a rediculous reply from a professional (??) in my life as the one he/she gave you.

A qualified chiropodist would be able to prescribe for you what you need which is Lamasil or Lodasil for a toenail fungus of this kind (sorry but this is what you have going on there) in tablet form. This is a very common thing.

Don't die of shock, but the treatment may be for months and the cost of the tablets is heinously expensive (which is why doctors are loath to prescribe it). It costs about 65.00€ per pack of 30.

Yellowy crumbly nail is a sign of fungus as well as the dark colouration and the onycholysis and I would ask your doctor to look at it carefully again because the results cannot be correct.

My husband has been taking the tablets for 3 weeks and there is already improvement, but he is loosing the toenail and will have to wait for the new growth to replace it now.

Hi Geeg,

I presume my Chiropodist is qualified as i was refered to her by my doctor on the NHS.

I was stunned when she said that there was nothing she could do, but when you trust them you beleive what they say and never having had this before who am i to know any different???

I've heard the cost of the tablets is expensive from the 1st chiropodist i saw a couple of years ago and she told me not to get fobbed off by my doctor - i'm just too weak i guess.

Well i've got another appointment now on Monday and i'll see what he says then (not that i can understand a word he says - he's about 90 and Polish!!:lol: ).

Definitely need to get this sorted, it doesn't look at all nice.

Thank god it's not flip flop weather at the mo!!!

Thanks for the advice Geeg

Em.xx

Latest posts

Back