Opening my home beauty salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki83

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my own small beauty salon built in my back garden as I have an alley inbetween my house and the house next door so it hopefully will work well.

I'm a fully trained beauty therapist and currently finishing up as a level 3 nail tech as well. The building should be ready in the next 3 weeks, im just finishing my website (I used to work in I.T) and then im ready to go.

My question is how much should I expect to own in the first 6 months, 12 months. I will advertise through social media, my website, business cards, some posters in windows and hopefully word of mouth.

I'll be offering gelish nails, fibreglass extensions, acrylic extensions, all waxing, lash lift, tinting, manicures, pedicures, facials, spray tanning and then will add lash extensions and massage which fully trained in that too.

I'll probably work around 25-30 hours a week.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times in just feeling a bit nervous.

It's really 'how long is a bit of string' as every area is different. Did you carry out any market research prior, to see if there was a calling for your services in your area?

I think most people struggle due to the market being saturated.
You should expect to turn a profit in 6-12 months if all things are going well.

Have you allocated a decent size marketing budget? We are a web design company so if you want a free review of your website when done, just drop me a message and I can give you some feedback to implement if you'd like.

It will take time to build your client base even with the best marketing in place.
You will find that for the first couple of years you will have busy weeks and dead weeks so the key is to plan your finances for this.
For the first six months you may only have clients in on average for say ten hours a week.
The next six months should be busier with returning clients plus new ones and so on.

Many new salon owners start up part time but still have an employed job to keep the money coming in. You can then grow your business safely and reduce paid hours as your new venture succeeds.

I take it you are all sorted with any planning permission you needed and are about to notify the business rates people?

Good luck, sounds like you have a good wide range of treatments to offer
[emoji3]

As BannerPenuin has said.....so much depends on so many factors.
How good you are
Quality of products
DEMAND IN YOUR AREA....!!!!

This is the biggest hurdle.
It's not just the high street saturation,....so many, like yourself are working from home set ups now.

Leaflet your area, get a website, do your facebook, etc....but also, do make sure you tick all of your councils' boxes.
Some councils, including mine, insist you have planning permission, and have a licence in place for certain treatments.
If you don't inform them.....be careful who you promote yourself to.....a disgruntled competitor/neighbour might just give the council a call to get you checked!
Good luck.:)

Thanks everyone for your replies, apologies for the delay.

All planning permission done as well as notifying business services and checking council tax, better to be safe then sorry.

I'm starting to wonder if I should also train in cal gel nails, they seem to last much longer than others.

Latest posts

Back