Opening my own nail salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkmolly226

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I’m looking for some advice or tips on opening a nail bar.
I’ve been a nail tech for 17 years, self employed and renting stations from others for about 8.
I’ve decided in the next 2 years I’d like to have my own nail salon.
Does anyone who has done this have any advice/tips they could pass on?
There are so many beauty salons about but not so many nail bars (not counting the ‘American style’ nail bars)
I have a very good client base, I’m fully booked most weeks.
I’m thinking of having a beauty room to rent out and maybe a backwash/hair styling station.
My problem is I’m not good at advertising and promoting myself!
I use Facebook and Instagram just now, any tips on promoting a salon?
I would like to employ 1 or 2 other qualified nail technicians too.
Pretty nervous about it as I’m very within my comfort zone sitting a my Wee nail bar but need to move up! I don’t know where to start with a business plan and am awful with technology so don’t know how to start a website.
I have 2 years to prepare for this. Help!

Sounds like a really good idea, but then you will go into premises/units, paying staff etc is it really worth all that hassle. I know its desirable to have your own business, but it is a really expensive cost, and you are fully booked.. will you have time to be fully booked with your big client base and time to run a nail salon/hair/beauty?

I think people always see having their own salon/nail bar or whatnot as a step up but it's not always the case. It's a step sideways. The question is, can you afford to basically earn about 20% of what you currently earn? Premises will eat all your funds and savings (make sure you have lots of savings you'll need it). Promoting and marketing is a huge part so I'd recommend googling and learning, maybe taking some courses because marketing this is super expensive on its own without taking into account the overheads.

The main thing to remember is you will be earning considerably less for a few years so it depends where you are in life personally to see if you want to do it.

Also, you may find it extremely tough to find good staff. You only have to see threads on here of people offering good wages and been looking for over a year for staff with no luck.

If I were you I'd consider the other option of putting up your prices remaining pretty fully booked still and enjoy the money. Work to live and all that :)

I agree with @BannerPenguin. Owning a salon, managing all your HR/staff, marketing, finance is a big change from running your own business when it’s just yourself.
Perhaps this is the challenge you need to keep you motivated but I recommend doing some small business courses to give you an understanding of basic business management if you haven’t already got that experience.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I think my problem is I’ve never really been 100% happy with the places I’ve worked in. Always say ‘if this was my shop I’d do this/that different’ but because I’m just renting a nail bar I don’t have any say on what the salon looks like or how it’s run
I’m starting to get itchy feet a bit and like AcidPerm said, I need something to keep me motivated. Just feeling I need a wee change.
I’ll defo take into consideration what you’ve all said. My boyfriend is very business minded and is going to help me with a business plan so I’ll consider outgoings and what it’ll take to cover them and see if it’s worth it.
If not I need to think of something new to keep me going
Really appreciate everyone’s honesty

Agree with a lot of the comments here. Do also check on local authority requirements. A geek on here was setting up her own shop and discovered that her council required a minimum level 2 beauty for her to do it. She had to go back to college to get the qualification as she only had nails. You may have beauty so please ignore me [emoji23]
But yes, I was never as rich as when I worked from home so a salon is not great for earning potential but is a labour of love.

Vic x

Don’t do it! I’m in year 2. We take so much money but with all the over heads, corporation tax and vat, I’m literally left with nothing. As soon as my lease is up I’m going back home [emoji17]

Have you thought about setting up at home? Obviously there are the correct checks to do first ie mortgage company/landlord, local council.
If your fully booked most weeks and not really happy with where you are, could this be something to consider. I moved from renting to home salon 3 years ago and it’s the best thing I ever did, I’m busier now than I’ve ever been [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back