Opening my own salon-what to do next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Okay so I've been working within the industry for a few years and started out mobile..about 18 months ago I started renting space within a newly established salon in the area. Over that time me and the current salon owner have become very good friends and I've come to know the place inside out along with all the clients. My dilemma is that she has now decided to shut up shop and go for a home based salon. I've always dreamed of opening my own salon and now she's said that she would be happy for me to take it on when she leaves. I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

It's worth noting that;

she is leaving as she has two small children and would rather invest her time caring for them and is financially able to convert her garage to a home salon and just retain her regulars (if they choose to go with her)

The salon in recent months has reduced considerably for varying reasons one of which I think (from what clients have told me) is that due to the fact that her heart is no longer in it she has become unenthusiastic in her work e.g closing the salon if she has no clients booked in, giving off a 'I don't really care' attitude which clients have mentioned to me has put them and their friends off. I have noticed this also but I understand that it's not where her heart is and not what she wishes to do, I can't hold that against her as I have a child of my own so I understand. I feel awful that they have told me this but what can I do?! Many of these clients have said that she has damaged the reputation beyond repair and that she has "held me back" and suggested that I opened my own salon elsewhere.

I felt as though I was stabbing her in the back but spoke to her about it and she said "go for it!"

The thing is that 1) I do not have the financial backing to be able to afford to do this so would need a loan...I have a solid business plan and think it goes in my favour that I already know the business inside out. I have made it clear however that I would want to completely start over as a brand new salon with no affiliation to the current one. I know that business loans are usually subject to a personal credit check and to be honest I'm quite sure I'd fail it (nasty break up with sons dad etc) so I'm concerned that I wouldn't even get a loan. I have spoken to the current owner and gone through all figures from rent/rates/ telephone even down to the cost of toilet paper! I estimate for the first year (including a refurb and marketing/grand opening) I will need £20-25,000.

The yearly cost thereafter totalling under £14,000. Any suggestions for the finance part? I've looked at grants but none of them would be to that amount. I've already invested £6,000 into my own business over the past few years which I assume will also go in my favour?!

2) the salon is rather big and would easily accommodate 5/6 nail stations and has 3 rooms. I was planning on scrapping the toning tables and replacing them with new nail stations and renting out that space?

I know it is too big for what I really need but I see the potential in renting out those spaces. Also the nearest competition is a ten minute drive into town and the salon can attract clients from the surround (and very wealthy) villages as this is their nearest salon and is on a row of shops with post office/dry cleaning etc on.

I saw a small salon for rent for £350 PCM including rates but it is in an area that I'm no too familiar with and see that as more of a risk than taking on the one where I am currently based as I said, I know the competition and clients in my current area and have been within that community for 18 months now.

I REALLY don't know what to do?!?! Can someone please help me see some clarity as my mind is in such a pickle!

Ok, I think you may have answered your own question here.
For the current salon, on your figures, will cost you £269 a week up keep, can you manage that on your own until you find other staff?

The other place is £340 a month rent including rates, but you still need to add there's of the bills on top.

Is the other place fully kitted out ready to trade? If so, go check out the area a few times at various points of the day, is there other shops around? Residential area?

Sometimes the reputation of a salon pays no relevance to a new owner, as soon as people see "under new ownership" they come to have a loojk, that's when it's your job to keep them.

You need to weigh up the money side on a weekly basis on both properties - however if the current place will cost you 20k before uoy even trade and the other place doesn't, I'd seriously take an interest in the surroundings of the other salon X

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've spoken to the landlord of the other property and it's half the size of the salon I'm currently in and the rent is only £2,000 cheaper but the rates are more? It's already had terms agreed in so that's not an option. I'm just concerned of the size of the place I'm currently in being way to big for little old me. :sad:

Aww bless ya, on the up side, you have room to expand :) if you think you can afford it. Put your mark on it. Re Brand it and go for it.

If you think you can do it, or if you think you can't, ether way you're right!

Pick up your mojo, brush down your confidence, hold your head high and show em. What your made of.

I'm sure you will sponging the.space with staff employed or self rmployed:) x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Such an exciting time. Good luck with whatever you decide. It's great that you have a detailed business plan already. Make sure you have a good contingency built it - just in case of extra costs, illness etc. it's better to be really well prepared and cautious - especially at the start.

Have a good marketing plan in place and ready to go the minute you decide to go forward with the salon. You should do a search on this site as I know there have been some fantastic, low cost marketing ideas shared on this site already.

Also before you commit, have you considered different towel & laundry options. If not, check single use towels / disposable towels for the salon. Using disposables from the start means you don't need to factor in the costs for washing machines & tumble dryers and cotton towels. It's easier to work out the costs for laundry and it can be worked out per client. It can also save you space in the salon as you won't need a laundry room.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi Geeks,

Okay so I've been working within the industry for a few years and started out mobile..about 18 months ago I started renting space within a newly established salon in the area. Over that time me and the current salon owner have become very good friends and I've come to know the place inside out along with all the clients. My dilemma is that she has now decided to shut up shop and go for a home based salon. I've always dreamed of opening my own salon and now she's said that she would be happy for me to take it on when she leaves. I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

It's worth noting that;

she is leaving as she has two small children and would rather invest her time caring for them and is financially able to convert her garage to a home salon and just retain her regulars (if they choose to go with her)

The salon in recent months has reduced considerably for varying reasons one of which I think (from what clients have told me) is that due to the fact that her heart is no longer in it she has become unenthusiastic in her work e.g closing the salon if she has no clients booked in, giving off a 'I don't really care' attitude which clients have mentioned to me has put them and their friends off. I have noticed this also but I understand that it's not where her heart is and not what she wishes to do, I can't hold that against her as I have a child of my own so I understand. I feel awful that they have told me this but what can I do?! Many of these clients have said that she has damaged the reputation beyond repair and that she has "held me back" and suggested that I opened my own salon elsewhere.

I felt as though I was stabbing her in the back but spoke to her about it and she said "go for it!"

The thing is that 1) I do not have the financial backing to be able to afford to do this so would need a loan...I have a solid business plan and think it goes in my favour that I already know the business inside out. I have made it clear however that I would want to completely start over as a brand new salon with no affiliation to the current one. I know that business loans are usually subject to a personal credit check and to be honest I'm quite sure I'd fail it (nasty break up with sons dad etc) so I'm concerned that I wouldn't even get a loan. I have spoken to the current owner and gone through all figures from rent/rates/ telephone even down to the cost of toilet paper! I estimate for the first year (including a refurb and marketing/grand opening) I will need £20-25,000.

The yearly cost thereafter totalling under £14,000. Any suggestions for the finance part? I've looked at grants but none of them would be to that amount. I've already invested £6,000 into my own business over the past few years which I assume will also go in my favour?!

2) the salon is rather big and would easily accommodate 5/6 nail stations and has 3 rooms. I was planning on scrapping the toning tables and replacing them with new nail stations and renting out that space?

I know it is too big for what I really need but I see the potential in renting out those spaces. Also the nearest competition is a ten minute drive into town and the salon can attract clients from the surround (and very wealthy) villages as this is their nearest salon and is on a row of shops with post office/dry cleaning etc on.

I saw a small salon for rent for £350 PCM including rates but it is in an area that I'm no too familiar with and see that as more of a risk than taking on the one where I am currently based as I said, I know the competition and clients in my current area and have been within that community for 18 months now.

I REALLY don't know what to do?!?! Can someone please help me see some clarity as my mind is in such a pickle!

I had to re read this as I was in EXACTLY the same position you are now 4 months ago!
I couldn't eat, sleep or focus and just wanted someone to tell make a decision for me! I had a pro's and con's list the length of my arm, I knew I didn't have a pot of money or could get any and I needed to go with my gut and as Terrifying as it was, I did it! Took a new lease, like you no affiliation with previous business and thought I would regret it more if I lost out than if I tried and failed!!
I've never looked back....now it easy to say that but I don't think I've ever felt so stressed and anxious, totally consumer me!
I now employee a beautician (which I said I wouldn't do, but renting space just didn't seem right for me) and I'm
Thinking on employing someone else!!
I've done it step by step, no loan, just hard work, LONG hours and sheer bloodymindness! I wish I had a pot of money to do the things I want to do but my clients love watching it all coming together SSx

The NHF has just released guides on starting your own salon - think I saw it mentioned by Pro Hair or Hji yesterday?

The great thing about taking an existing salon is that apart from not having to do an immediate fit out, there are clients there to get you started. If you take an empty, untested shop, you could sit there the first year with no clients, spending a fortune on advertising.

I'd say go for it. Don't rush to refit or spend tons, just extend the opening hours, and maybe change the name.

The NHF has just released guides on starting your own salon - think I saw it mentioned by Pro Hair or Hji yesterday?

The OP isn't a Hair Geek, this is a Nail & Beauty Salon she is referring to.

Ok so I've been über busy with doing my profit and loss,cash flow and business plan and am happy to say that I'm almost done. The thing I'm most terrified about is if I can secure the finance or not. Projected profits based on last year ( from her books) show a good profit and (not to sound cocky) I'm sure I can do better than that also. So stressed out with it all but excited! :love:

Ok so I've been über busy with doing my profit and loss,cash flow and business plan and am happy to say that I'm almost done. The thing I'm most terrified about is if I can secure the finance or not. Projected profits based on last year ( from her books) show a good profit and (not to sound cocky) I'm sure I can do better than that also. So stressed out with it all but excited! :love:

If you own your own home you have a reasonable chance to raise finance.

:confused:Read this with interest as I'm in a similar position (although finance is in place) and am terrified of committing to that 5 year lease but.......

just wanted to clarify - will you be renting the premises? If so, could you just take over the existing lease from the current owner (or is her lease up?) and improve the salon bit by bit (under a new name of course). Perhaps give it a make-over with décor, new colour scheme etc but keeping the costs to a minimum.

I know it's not ideal and not what you really want to do but it would get around the loan problem and lessen the stress factor. Renting the nail tables out and perhaps even a room would give you a guaranteed income.

Probably not been much help but as I'm in a similar headspace at the moment just wanted to reply!!!! :wink2:

Good luck with whatever you decide..
Debbs x

Latest posts

Back