Opening own salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
Im in the middle of applying for a shop to run a nail bar from.... what advice would you give me im in my 3rd year or working as nail tech and my work is high quality, husband earns enough to take care of our home and family so what i earn being mobile/home based has always been saved or used as fun/treats money. Niw I want to turn this into a full time job and earn serious money doing something I LOVE. Not expecting it to be fast but I nearly earn enough niw to cover rent and utilities (from calculated bills etc)

Any advice (good or bad) taken gratefuly :)

Where abouts are you located? Each country/province had their own rules and regulations. Look into the requirements needed to obtain a working license (health, environment, building, change of premises approvals etc) I highly recommend finding a place in close proximity to your existing clients! When I was getting ready to leave ALL my clients said they would follow me to the end of the earth and I calculated that into my estimates in order to stay afloat until I built up the business. Different story, about 60-70% of my old clients followed, Awesome! But not enough. The opening costs were much more than anticipated and half way through the City sends me a bill for property taxes on LEASED

Leased premises! Sorry my phone is spazzing :( All I can say is research research because the amount of red tape to get through to start is ridiculous and quite frankly very expensive.

Hi thanks for your advice ive done so much research my head will soon pop haha... thanks for your advice. Im in licolnshire. England xx

I'm from the US so regulations are a bit different, but I was in the same position as you two years ago. I decided to branch out and rent my own space when the salon I was working at closed. It was a scary transition, but well worth it.

No matter what keep advertising. Your current clients are your best source to get new ones! Implement a referral program. What I do is give a $ amount off my current clients next appointment for every new client that they refer to me. (They get the discount after the new client has come in for their first appointment) Doing this has helped me grow my clientele immensely!

Also, stay positive. It's easy to get down on yourself when you have a slow week or you get a complaint. Always remember why you do what you do and what made you love it in the first place. Never loose your passion!

Hope that helps!!

Do not drop your standards, do not take rubbish from clients and maybe staff, still look for new ways to push your business forward, invest and mostly important, enjoy it, it's a great job and can give you a great life.

Thanks girls <3 all great advice xx

Latest posts

Back