opening up new salon and nervous

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns21

Reaction score
Well, the day is soon approaching. I will be opening up a salon and spa in about 2 weeks. I have been in the business for 7 years now. Although I have clients to fill everyday and every hour, I am very nervous! My parents have a salon that has been open for 15 years which I have been working in for the past 7 years. Business is good and that is why we have decided to expand. I still do not have all my stations filled yet. There is a room for a massage therapist available for rent and I am finding it very hard to rent it out. There are also 3 stations for hair and 2 for nail techs available. I have had people call interested in the new salon. I tell them to come in and fill out an application but they never show up. I feel that I will open and have no employees. The girls at my parents salon are willing to go help me out but I can't help but feel scared. We have invested a lot in this new salon and I do not want to fail. I just thought I'd share with you all how I feel. If anyone has any comments or advice for me I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Nidia

Good luck Nidia.

I know that feeling - my new salon is die to open mid September but the time is just flying by and as yet we still have not even started on the renovations! No hair though only nails & beauty, and just lil ol me. Can't wait though.

Shaza

Hi Nidia

Well I opened my salon (nails only) on 5th June, so have been open for one month now. I have only been in Nail industry for just over a year, so you have nothing to worry about. It is just me at the moment, and I was scared stiff about being there twiddling my fingers, well I can't complain, I've been so busy that last week I even lost my voice, and here I am still battling on through. Do you know what, you are at the most stressful stage now. Honestly once your open all of those stresses will disapear.

Wishing you the best of luck. You'll be fine

I have had my salon open since April, so far I have had two nail techs come and go and am back at the beginning after investment and time wasted!

All I can say is get them on a contract asap, I am gald I did as I have claimed back CPD from one of them.

Sorry to sound depressing but you often feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall when it comes to finding good staff.

I wish you all the best for a really succesful salon opening

HI NIDIA

GOOD LUCK IN OPENING YOUR NEW SALON HUN, I'M SURE YOU WILL BE FINE. I BOUGHT WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A VERY GOOD LITTLE SALON IN MAY OF THIS YEAR. YOU KNOW BOUGHT THE USUAL STOCK , FIXTURES AND FITTINGS AND THE CLIENT DATA BASE. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT ALOT OF THINGS ABOUT THE PERSON I BOUGHT THE BUSINESS OFF. THIS PERSON QUITE KINDLY TOOK ALL THE CLIENTS WITH HER, THEREFORE LEAVING ME TO BUILD THE BUSINESS BACK UP FROM NOTHING. I ALSO MADE THE MISTAKE OF ASKING A FRIEND TO COME AND WORK WITH ME BUT I'M AFRAID THAT HASNT REALLY WORKED OUT AS I AM EXPECTED TO WORK THE BUSINESS AROUNG HER!! I'M SORRY TO SOUND SO NEGETIVE, BUT HOPEFULLY WITH MYSELF AND A VERY GOOD BEAUTICIAN WHO WORKS WITH ME, WE WILL GETTING THINGS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. JUST MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU TAKE ANY BODY ON MAKE SURE YOU REALLY TRUST THEM AND GET CONTRACTS SO THAT BOTH PARTIES ARE PROTECTED. GODD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE. ASH
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Oh sweetie I'm sure everything will work out just fine - 7 years ago this week I opened my first salon (we remortgaged our house to get it off the ground) - the one thing I know for sure is that customer service is absolutely paramount - go that one step further to ensure everyone is happy (including your staff). We all know how difficult staff issues are (employing, managing, training, etc,etc) but you must remain POSITIVE and with every setback just keep believing you WILL overcome all obstacles. Good Luck, Fiona

Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement. Things are starting to look good now. I just interviewed a nail tech today and so far so good. Tomorrow she will come in with a model and demonstrate a couple of nails for me. I have to see her work. I also have an interview with a massage therapist who is interested in renting the room for massages. As far as contracts go, it that legal? How exactly do they work? And what are the conditions?

Nidia

Hi Im In Plymouth Just Wondering Where U R In Cornwall

Vicki - The Beauty Rooms - Plymouth

Best of luck Chick! - My Salon opens in juts under 4 weeks and understand how you maybe feeling! Ple3ase let us know how it goes!

All the best and postive vibes from the Geeks!

You go GIRL!

Latest posts

Back