Operations and 'womanly' things

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heli

Reaction score
hi all,
one of my clients asked me the other day if going into hospital would affect her enhancements (CND L&P) and being new to this i wasn't sure,although i swear i've read something about having to remove the enhancements prior to any operations...Am i going senile young or is this true?

She also asked me if periods can have an adverse reaction,apparently when she has a period she experiences a small amount of lifting at the cuticle or sidewalls,but otherwise has no problems with them.Does anyone else find this (i don't have enhancements so im afraid i wouldn't know :| )

any feedback would be great,thanks!
heli :cool:

I do beleive you must remove extensions prior to hospitalisation,, the other more experience geeks will correct me if I am wrong :o

These days if you explain to your doctor prior to an operation that you wear enhancements, there should be no problemat all. I have never had a client who was made to remove them once I expalined the situation to them.

Often temprature is measured by placing a sensor on the nail I presume so that the extremities are monitored. It is useful to know that an accurate temperature is recorded whilst wearing enhancements so there is no need to remove. I'm sure Mandi can enlighten us further.

I have heard of the odd dragon lady matron insisting but as there is abosolutely no danger to health, you can safely stand your ground.

There should be no sign of lifting during a period. Bit of old wives tales there!! Having a period does not break the covalent bond that exists between Retention+ and the nail.

They take some reading by placing a peg-shaped thing on the finger, I asked once if it made a difference if you had enhancements and was told it would and they wouldn`t get a proper reading. I can`t remember what the reading was for (I`m tired after a long day so forgive me)
I also have a client who`s enhancements I just had to remove because she was going in for an operation and she was told to remove them before going in

Debs said:
I also have a client who`s enhancements I just had to remove because she was going in for an operation and she was told to remove them before going in
Yes, I have a client waiting to go into hospital and she was told she couldn't have enhancements on!

Well surely if they can take readings from finger nails - why not toe nails too; that would save on removal of enhancements - let's face it, our clients don't want them to be removed :mad: - that's what I would do anyway!! :rolleyes:

Mrs Geek said:
Well surely if they can take readings from finger nails - why not toe nails too; that would save on removal of enhancements - let's face it, our clients don't want them to be removed :mad: - that's what I would do anyway!! :rolleyes:

Totally agree ;)

It seems to depend on the hospital and your surgen i have clients who have been allowed to keep them on and others were they have insisted that they be removed.
GOOD POINT MRS GEEK!

Mrs Geek said:

I had a general anaesthetic last year and I had my enhancements on, in fact the anaesthetist was admiring them, it was a welcome distraction believe me. (I was sooo nervous) I had one of those peg like thingies on my finger and it was no bother at all. :rolleyes:

I have had surgery and they didn't tell me to take my enhancements off.

PS. The thingee that goes on your finger is to measure te oxygen level I was told.

Sometimes hospital insist on no enhancements or nail polish on the nails..........
One of the reasons explained to me was, that the anaesthetist checks the nail plate for discolouration....... as in blue tinges............
But now, with more modern Technology the clip gives an accurrate reading and takes the reading from the soft part of the finger tip not the nail plate............
It just means there might has to be someone, running around the OP table to check the colour of your toe nails lol....................
But hey different hospital different rules..............and most people don't question the reasons why, as they are to anxious.......because they are having and OP , thats nerve racking enough ......................

Saying that, when I had to have my op 5 years ago, I asked and they said yes keep em on, we keep an eye on your toes instead lol..............So I had a pedi and made sure my toes looked great eau naturelle lol .......... Well a girl has to keep up appearances...............................Good old St. Bartholomew Hospital bless ya !!!!.................

She also asked me if periods can have an adverse reaction,apparently when she has a period she experiences a small amount of lifting at the cuticle or sidewalls,but otherwise has no problems with them.

To address the period issue, As hormones fluctuate throughout the month, it affects how our bodies react to things. A little more lifting during period week is normal in my experience. This is the same issue that pregnant women face. Often a woman who wears extensions before pregnancy will notice much more lifting once she is pregnant because of the change in her hormones. Hope that helped.

Silver

silver said:
This is the same issue that pregnant women face. Often a woman who wears extensions before pregnancy will notice much more lifting once she is pregnant because of the change in her hormones. Hope that helped.
Silver
I think it must depend on the individual!! I have had two boys and wore enhancements before, during and after both pregnancies!! No lifting and no problems, I also don't get lifting during period times either. I have heard that women can get hormone surges during these times which make their nails prone to being more 'oily' than usual but this hasn't happened to me personally!! ;)

It has been many moons since I wore a nurses uniform so forgive me if my info is out of date...and I never actively worked in an operating theatre.

Mrs Geek is right..both finger and toes nail beds are a good indicator of circulation and health, but this is not the only sign an anaesthetist relies on....they have lots of fancy equipment too ;) It is often easier to monitor hands as they are close to the head which is where an anaesthetist is usually placed.

I seem to remember that they like nail enamel to be removed so they can see the nail bed....so same goes for enhancements. More preference of the hospital/anaesthetist really. I have heard of being able to remove one enhancement for the purpose of monitoring.

From a nursey perspecitve I would be concerned with post op implications of having enhancements or even long natural nails. If it is not an issue then no need really.

On a similar note....makeup. I can understand not being allowed to wear it whilst being operated on....checking colour of skin etc, but nurses deal with patient well being that extends beyond the physical symptoms. Makeup makes some women feel better so that has got to be a good thing as do nail enhancements. If it has no adverse effect on recovery of wounds it should be allowed if the woman wants it. general mood can help recovery.

I was wondering about the period/lifting issue...does this woman have fluid retention when she had her period? is it possible that she is a bit bloated and this may effect the nail plate?

wow thanks for all the great replys so soon,but the issue isn't certain yet ;) i think i'll ask her to phone the hospital and ask them directly,as you can imagine she's not keen on having to remove them,said she'd castrate the surgeon :lol: but removing one enhancement is a good idea,as is the toe thing,i'll have to get her to ask the hospital and go from there..

As for the period part,i cant say me and my client have long lengthy discussions about our monthly goings on ( :lol: ) so i wouldn't be sure about the fluid retention,although it is a good point,from what she has told me she can be prone to quite heavy hormonal mood changes,so all those hormones flying around could well make the nail bed more oily etc

Thanks for all the good points so far,its helped a lot!

P.S,did natural acrylics on myself for the first time last nite (milestone :lol: :cool: )

heli x

It is a matter of WE insisting on the right to keep enhancements on during operations.

In 20 years experience (10 behind the nail desk) I have never had anyone that HAD to remove their enhancements once we explained about the toes etc. And over that 10 year period, many of our clients went in for ops.

By the way, wearing enhancements does NOT affect the reading of the 'thingy' on the end of the finger. This has been confirmed to be by qualified Nurses.

For those new geeks out there, if you know your stuff and can argue your case competently on your clients behalf, I would be very surprised if anyone insisted enhancements be removed. I have also had operations and it wasn't even an issue!

Don't know what product you are using, but periods will not affect wearers of Retention+.

I had surgery last year and my consultant's p.a actually booked my nails to be done on the morning of my op as I had travelled up to London and had a free couple of hours before I went under the knife. I was told not to paint them or my toe nails.

One major thing to consider is that if your client is having breast implants, hip replacements, or any op that involves placing a foreign object or tissue in the body involves another issue. These foreign bodies can be rejected if there is infection at any site in the body. This can cause breast implants to harden or even worse! After this sort of surgery, many surgeons advise you not even to have dental work done in case you get an infection - normally just for a short time. We all know that without the proper methods, nail clients can pick up infections.

You can get more info at one of the many plastic & cosmetic surgery forums on the internet.

ella said:
I had surgery last year and my consultant's p.a actually booked my nails to be done on the morning of my op as I had travelled up to London and had a free couple of hours before I went under the knife. I was told not to paint them or my toe nails.

One major thing to consider is that if your client is having breast implants, hip replacements, or any op that involves placing a foreign object or tissue in the body involves another issue. These foreign bodies can be rejected if there is infection at any site in the body. This can cause breast implants to harden or even worse! After this sort of surgery, many surgeons advise you not even to have dental work done in case you get an infection - normally just for a short time. We all know that without the proper methods, nail clients can pick up infections.

You can get more info at one of the many plastic & cosmetic surgery forums on the internet.
Hi only me again.............
You know I forgot until I read Ellas post.............
Faye aka nailsinlondon2 kept her enhancement on whilst she had her hip replaced 3 years ago.............and I did a chair side maintenance whilst she was in hospital too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I honestly think it is always best to check with the individuals surgeons team if it is realy necessary to have enhancements removed!!!!! Any infection can lead to problems even the common cold...........

just my oppinion

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Hi only me again.............
You know I forgot until I read Ellas post.............
Faye aka nailsinlondon2 kept her enhancement on whilst she had her hip replaced 3 years ago.............and I did a chair side maintenance whilst she was in hospital too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I honestly think it is always best to check with the individuals surgeons team if it is realy necessary to have enhancements removed!!!!! Any infection can lead to problems even the common cold...........

just my oppinion

Hi just thought i would add a touch to the post my mother put up, yes i had my hip replaced 3 years ago and i mentioned to them that i wear enhancements and asked if it was a problem, the staff nurse ummed and ahhed about it so i told them well if its to check nail beds for blood circulation then they can check my toes as i was not going top part with my nails........... she laughed and said well i cant see it being a problem, and that was that. As for lifting and so on in pregnancy and periods, speaking as a mother to be of twins (double hormones racing through my body) i have not noticed any changes at all with my nails. Only changes i have is i am moody and cry for no reason and the fact that i now cant see my toes :cry:
upsets me a little..............

well must dash ................
love faye and babies xxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back