OPI Axxium soak off lacquer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsm

Reaction score
hi, i was having a look through some threads and came across one about layering two different colours of CND shellac to create a new colour. Can you do this with axxium? and does anyone have any good colour combinations?

You can layer with Axxium but you can also mix them. I was inspired by the post by someone asking about mixing Brisa bolds to make Greige..... I mixed Axxium gel-lacquer 'You don't know Jacques', 'Alpine Snow' and a tiny bit of 'Dulce de Leche'. It is now a gorgeous grey/taupe greige! It was really rewarding mixing a colour that i knew that nobody else would have!! And then someone complimented me on it today, asked what colour it was and i had to explain that I had made it myself etc etc - very proud of myself (and that's why I'm a geek!!!).

The only colours that you can't make are those that aren't in your imagination!! :D ;)

Bezza thanks for your post. Ill give it a try. The pdf the CND created for the shellac if great as it gives you a few ideas to start off with. Im worried ill waste products experimenting! If anyone else has tried mixing axxium I'd love to hear how you get on.

Princess's rule over the darker colours look gorgeous x

Bezza thanks for your post. Ill give it a try. The pdf the CND created for the shellac if great as it gives you a few ideas to start off with. Im worried ill waste products experimenting! If anyone else has tried mixing axxium I'd love to hear how you get on.

Mrs M, I spoke to Tanya (or Tara - I always get them muddled up!) at Lena White and she said that she's mixed the colours before. I know what you mean about wastage. I only used a tiny amount of each which was sufficient for two full sets. I put it in a cleaned out little pot and have had in my drawer for 4 days - still not cured etc although I imagine it will only last a couple of months if that. Good luck and enjoy!! :)

what is the actual difference between this OPI product and Shellac?

The difference is that OPI is a soak off gel. Shellac is a hybrid. I invested in OPI axxium colour lacquer gel (long name!!) before I knew that Shellac was being brought about. I prefer Shellac due to its ease of application, it's longevity, it's very shiny finish that stays until it's removed and the fact that it is a hybrid. Shellac does not feel as thick as gel, it feels more like a polish.

The ONLY thing I prefer about OPI system is the range of colours. Whilst other systems do have a wide range of colours (eg Gelish), the OPI ones are very tasteful. As I say, OPI is more of a gel. It is applied with a brush out of a pot and IMO does not stay as shiny. It is also not as resistant to me being a nail tech!! Shellac seems to last me a lot longer when I doing clients' nails, although saying that, if I had a better technique then I'm sure neither system would be affected.

That said, I love being able to offer both systems and sell whichever system suits my clients needs better.

HTH's!! :D

Thanks for the comparison. I've always wondered if I've done the right thing going for axxium. Everyone is always raving about shellac. I do think though for a gel it goes apply well and can be done thinly as the colour cover is good. The range of colours is fab too, although I get bored and wish they would bring new ones out more often. Lol

The difference is that OPI is a soak off gel. Shellac is a hybrid. I invested in OPI axxium colour lacquer gel (long name!!) before I knew that Shellac was being brought about. I prefer Shellac due to its ease of application, it's longevity, it's very shiny finish that stays until it's removed and the fact that it is a hybrid. Shellac does not feel as thick as gel, it feels more like a polish.

The ONLY thing I prefer about OPI system is the range of colours. Whilst other systems do have a wide range of colours (eg Gelish), the OPI ones are very tasteful. As I say, OPI is more of a gel. It is applied with a brush out of a pot and IMO does not stay as shiny. It is also not as resistant to me being a nail tech!! Shellac seems to last me a lot longer when I doing clients' nails, although saying that, if I had a better technique then I'm sure neither system would be affected.

That said, I love being able to offer both systems and sell whichever system suits my clients needs better.

HTH's!! :D

Thanks for that. I had a client asking me about this the other day. least now i'll know what to say :) xx

Thanks for the comparison. I've always wondered if I've done the right thing going for axxium. Everyone is always raving about shellac. I do think though for a gel it goes apply well and can be done thinly as the colour cover is good. The range of colours is fab too, although I get bored and wish they would bring new ones out more often. Lol

I get colour greed too! Loving the here today Aragon tomorrow at the mo!! Pleased I could help you both and mrs m ykj are right, the application can be nice and thin- but really even with the lovely artist series mini gel brush! Ah I love this industry!!

Is that the greeny one? I'm loving Miami Beet at the moment. I love my axxium! Lol

Yeah here today Aragon tomorrow is the very dark green one. So pretty! Miami beet is next on the order list. I buy all the polishes first to see if my clients like them and try them on colour pops then go from there!

i cant wait to do opi soak of gel. Im buying the kit at the show on sunday :)

x

So the polishes match up exactly with the gel? Miami beet is beautiful it goes on so well. What do you make of the new show stoppers collection they are launching in london next weekend? I'm not sure about glitters.

The polishes are a completely exact match. That's why it's good to give them a go first without spending as much on the gel. And if clients want to do toes themselves (i know we should be doing these in gel too but not all clients want their toes done too) then they can buy the exact same polish. The show stoppers aren't for me- my clients aren't massive fans if glitter which is why I haven't gone for gelish. I think it depends on what area u work in..... Just wish they did tickle my francey in gel!! I posted a pic in my album of the gel that I mixed for you to have a look at. It's a bit similar to tickle my France-y. Mmmmmmm!!

I'll see u there then sparkle!! Along with a load of other geek I'm sure!

That's good to know. Its great to be able to hear someone elses experiences, I don't know anyone else that uses axxium. That's fab ill have a look tommorow when I'm on the computer. I really wish opi would produce a wee sheet like CND have about what colours to mix. I am the exact same I don't think glitters would go down well with my clients. I'm a bit gutted they have decided to bring out 6 glitters and no other colours! I'm also disappointed I'm not going to the london show, I'm going to manchester in oct and had it all booked then realised lena white wasn't going to be there.

I use Axxium soak off and I love it. For me it does everything that Shellac does - it goes on in base, 2 colour coats and top, it's amazingly shiny and it has fab longevity..... I redid mine today after more than 3 weeks and other than being horribly grown out they were still in great nick.

I like that they're in pots because I can see exactly how much is left. I love the range of colours and that clients are familiar with the names..... I soaked off Lady in Black today and redid with I'm Not Really A Waitress - beautiful colour.

I'm sticking with Axxium even with the launch of Shellac and Gelish, it ticks all my boxes and the performance has proved itself to me for months now.

Hth's

bezza had a look at your pictures. love the colour you have made mixing axxium! i feel some experimenting coming on!

bezza had a look at your pictures. love the colour you have made mixing axxium! i feel some experimenting coming on!

Thank you and enjoy :D

Latest posts

Back