OPI gel polish top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laoura

Reaction score
Hi.i have a probleem which i don't understant why this happens.maybe someone can give me an idea why.
I have been using the opi gel polish top coat lately and i have notice that some of the nails,after the curing and the wiping ,they become matt,when the rest of the nails are fine and glossy.i have 2 uv lamps 36 watt in each i cure the gels and in the beginning i thought that maybe it was the cleanser which i use that wasn't compatible with the opi top coat and it made it matt but since it's not happening on all the nails,i don't think that's the problem.then i thought that maybe is the lamps and the are weak but i haven't used them for 500 hours yet to become weak.i don't know...
Do you have any ideas why this is happening??

I've noticed that too! I have the same problem.

I've noticed that too! I have the same problem.
Realy?is it possible that the opi top coat needs the opi lamp to cure proberly?

Not sure, they've got a new lamp coming out in March so I'm going to get that and see what happens

I have this problem, usually on some of the darker colours. I have an opi lamp and I've tried curing topcoat for double the time to no avail! I end up just doing two top coats, do one, wipe then if needed I'll do another whole set of top coat xx

Do you wipe using OPI surface cleaner?

Yes I use the whole opi system x

It's weird isn't it? I might contact OPI tomorrow and ask for advice!

I don't use the opi cleaner and i called the opi lady to ask if that's the problem and she told me that i should mix my cleanser with some water before using it so it will not be so strong,but i found that weird... i tried it anyway but it wasn't doing a good job with the water which is logical and i don't even know why she told me that.i was thinging of buying the opi cleaner but since LizR says that is also making it matt i don't see the point... To be honest i alredy stoped using the opi top coat and the new one that i got is just fine.

Hey I use it and sometimes it needs a double coat of top coat. I have OPI LED light so I don't know the curing times for UV. I also just use regular 90% rubbing alcohol and mine are always shiny. Do you notice if the top coat almost pulls away from color sometimes it's weird. But normally I just do a double top coat and no problem

Hey I use it and sometimes it needs a double coat of top coat. I have OPI LED light so I don't know the curing times for UV. I also just use regular 90% rubbing alcohol and mine are always shiny. Do you notice if the top coat almost pulls away from color sometimes it's weird. But normally I just do a double top coat and no problem
Yes i noticed that as well.it does that mostly when i do a stamp on the nail with stamp polish and i try to top coat that.

I don't use the opi cleaner and i called the opi lady to ask if that's the problem and she told me that i should mix my cleanser with some water before using it so it will not be so strong,but i found that weird... i tried it anyway but it wasn't doing a good job with the water which is logical and i don't even know why she told me that.i was thinging of buying the opi cleaner but since LizR says that is also making it matt i don't see the point... To be honest i alredy stoped using the opi top coat and the new one that i got is just fine.
Which top coat are you now using? I have just bought a gellux which is a base and top coat all in one. I have many clients who can't get much more than a week out of opi so I'm hoping this base and top coat may be a little stronger. I hate feeling like I can't guarantee 2 weeks with opi :-( Can not afford to buy a whole new system though xx

Also! Just thought, I am supposed to be shaking top coat arent I?!? X

Yes i noticed that as well.it does that mostly when i do a stamp on the nail with stamp polish and i try to top coat that.
Yeah I'm not sure why it does it but with stamping make sure to double top coat

Also! Just thought, I am supposed to be shaking top coat arent I?!? X
Yup everything get shaken even top and base. With both let sit for a minute so it doesn't have bubbles

Which top coat are you now using? I have just bought a gellux which is a base and top coat all in one. I have many clients who can't get much more than a week out of opi so I'm hoping this base and top coat may be a little stronger. I hate feeling like I can't guarantee 2 weeks with opi :-( Can not afford to buy a whole new system though xx
It could be their nails. Do you have IBX system? Use that to repair their nails it'll help with adhesion too

It could be their nails. Do you have IBX system? Use that to repair their nails it'll help with adhesion too
Yes,it's true about ibx.when ever i use it to a client before the gel polish application,it seems to last longer and the problematic nails seem to brake less.

Yup! I use it on my nails too

Hi.i have a probleem which i don't understant why this happens.maybe someone can give me an idea why.
I have been using the opi gel polish top coat lately and i have notice that some of the nails,after the curing and the wiping ,they become matt,when the rest of the nails are fine and glossy.i have 2 uv lamps 36 watt in each i cure the gels and in the beginning i thought that maybe it was the cleanser which i use that wasn't compatible with the opi top coat and it made it matt but since it's not happening on all the nails,i don't think that's the problem.then i thought that maybe is the lamps and the are weak but i haven't used them for 500 hours yet to become weak.i don't know...
Do you have any ideas why this is happening??

This happened with my Gelish top coat.
I was using lint free wipes to remove tacky layer but was told to try cotton wool/pads. Now it's shiny every time. x

This happened with my Gelish top coat.
I was using lint free wipes to remove tacky layer but was told to try cotton wool/pads. Now it's shiny every time. x
I will try that!

Latest posts

Back