OPI Gelcolor (new shades &) brochure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini4mum

Reaction score
Hi all, maybe I am just old fashioned but I received the New OPI Gelcolor Shades brochure by email today. That is fine.

What has upset me is they have 3/4 of a page from the brochure dedicated to (I have to be careful here) 'dissing' a Hybrid Polish.... obviously Shellac. Why a Gel is better than a hybrid etc...

I am really dissapointed. NEVER in the last two years, I have been trained by a CND ambassador or been in contact with S2 with many many questions to do with Shellac has ANYBODY disrespected another brand.

Very, very bad form.....

As a Beauty Therapist I have known this with skin care companies, but I do feel this is below the belt, as the competition is too strong!

I have enjoyed using OPI Gelcolor, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

What do you think? am I justified? or do I need to grow a harder skin!!

I find people often attack things they either fear or don't understand... I think some companies may be the same unforunately.

Maybe you're reading too much into it. The way I see it, to sell a product, you need to sell its pros, and sometimes that involves being compared with another product. I mean, if read with the same tone, one could say power polish and gel polish ads diss traditional nail polish. But if read in factual tone, you can judge for yourself the pros and cons. :)

You've used both, right? I'm sure you can see that shellac is perfect for some and not suitable for others. And the same can be said for Gelcolor. But both are good in their own way.

I have not seen it, but I hate all that pissing all over competition's ankles!!!

And to be honest there is also all that talk how (Shellac) hybrid is not gel, and why is that so awsome (subtext - better) - although I find it really subtle and elegant :).

What is the use? It gives a bitter taste of unfair fight.
Fight with quality, color range, customer service, price, but why dirty talk? Blah.

At the end only quality and color range counts, so maybe it is better to focus on that? My base and top coat from Gelcolor cured in bottles when they were still full and new :evil: Brushes in Gelish are curing and driving me mad. Trash talk about Shellac is not helping to forget about it :confused:

Thank you for your replies :)
Kasik - that is exactly what has happened to me twice too with my topcoat!! In the new brochure it advises not to have it near UV/led lamp , but then says don't keep it out in sunlight for too long either!! They really need to get that sorted, as I will not pay for another topcoat again!!

It is justified to push your product with it pros against other competition but as there is only one hybrid polish on the market 'Shellac' I do find it underhanded!

Thank you for your replies :)
Kasik - that is exactly what has happened to me twice too with my topcoat!! In the new brochure it advises not to have it near UV/led lamp , but then says don't keep it out in sunlight for too long either!! They really need to get that sorted, as I will not pay for another topcoat again!!

It is justified to push your product with it pros against other competition but as there is only one hybrid polish on the market 'Shellac' I do find it underhanded!

I would argue that Shellac is not the only hybrid on the market - it is by far the most popular, and the one that uses the term "hybrid" the most, but not the only LeChat, Gelac, Light Elegance, are all hybrid polishes. I think what OPI is trying to do is trumpet the benefits of 100% gel, no solvent polishes.

As for the curing issue, do you not remember the problems CND Shellac had at the beginning? If you could even find it.

OPI very disappointed by whole gel system :(( had problems from first word go trained in gellish Gellux and OPI and I hate it left with full kit which I don't use now as disheartened by it , and to now hear dissing another Company :
Surely OPI are a big enough brand without having to do that:

And I for one truly wished I had gone with CND Shellac Clients identify with it more than any other gel nail may be hybrid but a client does not care they just want what seems more recognised and identifiable name only my opinion of course :)

I use OPI Gelcolor, Shellac and Gelish. I have found that one brand may not work for everyone. I do not condone company's bad mouthing each other, but it does happen. When Shellac came out they referred to the other brands as inadequate and damaging. I did not find the other brands inadequate or damaging. It is all how you see it. I started out with OPI Axxium soak off gel which i thought was awesome. When Shellac came out, that was the newest and best thing. Now that I've also added Gelcolor and Gelish to my menu, I'm finding that most clients are going with those two products. My clients like that Gelish has over 96 colors to choose from and Gelcolor comes in the infamous OPI lacquer colors that they love that they can use on their toes without the expense of a gel polish application. I love CND, OPI and Gelish but I don't get turned off when they all bad mouth each other. They are trying to sell a product, but I know the products and will continue to use them all.

Again, thanks for your replies. I think I gather from that I need 'to man up' lmao!!
I do remember the problems initially with shellac - as I couldn't get hold bits & pieces for months! But the product itself was awesome.
Maybe I should try Gelish too as it seems you all run it along side of your Shellac/OPI without a problem.
Thanks again ;)

It is the nature of advertising to be competitive because that's what sells products.

Shellac is awesome on a lot of my clients but OPI is definitely better on my peely clients which unfortunately is at least 50% of my business. I love the layering option of shellac love the ease of application of both.

Horses for courses really. I'm certainly not disappointed with either product they both do what it says on then bottle.

Problem is people thinks it magic in a bottle but guess what it's polish. Good polish but still polish. Whether it's hybrid or 100% gel.

50 % is the application 50% the state of the canvas you are working on as to how well and long they last.

Simples!!!!!

Latest posts

Back