OPI Gelcolor problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koral

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Last week I started using OPI gel color and every thing was good. 2 days later air bubbles started forming in the corners of the nails. After that, the gel started to come off the nails. Help?

What lamp are you using?

Well there's the answer then.
Thanks for the heads up @Noodle :D
Wait, if I want to use OPI I *have* to have OPI led lamp? That’s not how they taught us...

Wait, if I want to use OPI I *have* to have OPI led lamp? That’s not how they taught us...

Who taught you? I'd be surprised if OPI said you could use any lamp. Have you read the post @Noodle linked for you? It contains all the information about why you need to ensure the Gel Polish you use is matched to the lamp. No it doesn't have to be the brand lamp but it needs to be specifically matched from a chemistry perspective, not just hearsay that it's 'fine'. You need it confirmed by your authorised product distributor that the specific lamp you are using is correctly matched.

There are hundreds of posts on here about gel polish and the need for the correct lamp, there is no universal lamp despite what lamp sellers will tell you. No gel polish will cure under every lamp, it's just not chemically possible. Not using a correctly matched lamp (usually the products own) will ensure correct curing, this will ensure the product is safe for everyone involved, you and your clients. Under cured product can lead to allergies and over exposure, chipping, lifting, peeling, wrinkling and a whole host of other issues.

Who taught you? I'd be surprised if OPI said you could use any lamp. Have you read the post @Noodle linked for you? It contains all the information about why you need to ensure the Gel Polish you use is matched to the lamp. No it doesn't have to be the brand lamp but it needs to be specifically matched from a chemistry perspective, not just hearsay that it's 'fine'. You need it confirmed by your authorised product distributor that the specific lamp you are using is correctly matched.

There are hundreds of posts on here about gel polish and the need for the correct lamp, there is no universal lamp despite what lamp sellers will tell you. No gel polish will cure under every lamp, it's just not chemically possible. Not using a correctly matched lamp (usually the products own) will ensure correct curing, this will ensure the product is safe for everyone involved, you and your clients. Under cured product can lead to allergies and over exposure, chipping, lifting, peeling, wrinkling and a whole host of other issues.
The place where I learned works with OPI and that is the place where I bought the lamp as well so I guess it’s supposed to be right isn’t it?

The place where I learned works with OPI and that is the place where I bought the lamp as well so I guess it’s supposed to be right isn’t it?

I'd hope so, but if you read through the posts on here many, many people have been mislead with their training. Some training centres have claimed to be accredited and are not. Some have claimed to be affiliated with certain brands but are not. Some claim they can teach you how to be a full nail tech in 2 days... and we know that's utter rubbish.

OPI have a UK website try contacting them to check

ETA - I don't use OPI but a quick Google suggests Salon Services sell their products and their lamp....therefore it needs to be the OPI lamp for correct cure and to follow manufactures recommendations. https://www.salonsdirect.com/opi-studio-led-light-enhanced

I'd hope so, but if you read through the posts on here many, many people have been mislead with their training. Some training centres have claimed to be accredited and are not. Some have claimed to be affiliated with certain brands but are not. Some claim they can teach you how to be a full nail tech in 2 days... and we know that's utter rubbish.

OPI have a UK website try contacting them to check
Thanks a lot!

This is what I have found with OPI gelcolor and their LED light that I use through them. By the time you get a little over half way through the base coat bottle the product changes. It sometimes seems to be thicker as compared to a new bottle. When this happens I can get bubbling. Also, I have found that the bubbling can be from undercuring. Especially if the base coat didn't cure completely.

This is what I have found with OPI gelcolor and their LED light that I use through them. By the time you get a little over half way through the base coat bottle the product changes. It sometimes seems to be thicker as compared to a new bottle. When this happens I can get bubbling. Also, I have found that the bubbling can be from undercuring. Especially if the base coat didn't cure completely.
So you’re saying I might need to cure twice every coat?

Perhaps, make sure to shake the bottle very well before use. But I have found that I have to buy a new bottle. I personally dont think that it should need to be cured twice but if the whole nail is not directly under the light then yes it needs to be cured twice. I find that with hand placement nails can have these like dark spots from clients improperly placing their hands in the light and that we have to be mindful of how we place the hands or decide how many fingers go in at a time to ensure proper curing.

Latest posts

Back