OPI GelColour - LED vs UV lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Jess*

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My apologies if there is already a thread on this - I did do a search, but it didn't turn up any results I was looking for.

I read on the OPI pro website that using their new LED lamp cures the nails in 4 minutes per set, versus 12 minutes plus for standard UV cure.

I have been reading a few threads today about not intermixing systems, and using the correct lamps, etc and was just wondering, does this mean you can use the UV lamp to cure GelColour, but it will just take longer? Or do you HAVE to use the LED lamp? I have never tried the GelColour before, but am looking at introducing it in my salon.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Yes, Gelcolor will cure in UV lamp: base 1 min, color 2 min, top 3 min.

Personally I see no reason to invest in LED lamp - first I still need to apply product and it takes me more than 30 seconds per hand (I do lots of dark colors on reall short nails), second - I will give some time to producers to figure out better that whole LED-topic. Having lamp for each system is out of question, currently I use five different and can't imagine dragging 5 lamps with me :).

Ah - I use Brisa Lamp, not OPI lamp, works for Shellac (of course) Opi Gelish Orly ACG.
HTH

I was fortunate to try my friends GelColor with my CND Shellac lamp before I purchased the full kit & I have to say it worked fine, following the correct instructions etc, but I loved the look of the LED lamp so I plumped for the kit which incorporated it. I love it!!

Thankyou for the feedback. I might get the intro kit and just use the UV lamp to start with and see how that goes. I can always buy the LED lamp later I guess!

I was the same mini4mum, it worked under the UV lamp I had but the OPI LED is very impressive and I've been hugely torn as to whether I should buy it or not, I sent my husband to buy the starter kit without the lamp at Capital on Thursday and he bought the one with the lamp he said it looked so professional! I nearly crier when I got it, used it twice on friends and it's amazing SS

I think the reason why CND is not in any great hurry to offer a lamp that uses LED bulbs, is that Shellac is a service that is pretty darned quick without using a faster cure time and there is just no real particular need for it. Shellac was formulated, as has been said, to work with its own lamp and in a more than reasonable time frame as Shellac is already so efficient to apply. Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

We Shellackers have it pretty easy when you think about it. Shellac goes on with the same steps as polish. We clean the nail and apply the base coat (no need to buff the nail which takes extra time, and no need to use a primer which takes more time and no need to dry brush sticky excess off the nail surface which takes yet more time) two coats of colour and a top coat! How much quicker do we have to be? Using LED bulbs gives no advantage with A normal salon Shellac Service and I don't believe it saves much time on a normal gel service either ... You can't work faster than the lamp can cure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback ladies :)

Waiting for my order to come so I can see what all the fuss is about!

Latest posts

Back