OPI problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, every nail polish lasts longer if the polish stays flexible.

Polish will stay flexible if it is regualrly oiled with a good cuticle oil. Are your friends and family using OPI Avoplex?

I'm sure if they look after their OPI manicure with OPI Avoplex then the polish will last longer. It is up to you to tell them and to supply them with it.

I use CND for everything .. every client walks out of the salon with CND Solar Oil ... because it is good aftercare that keeps a manicure lasting for a long time, and it is your job to see that clients have the things they need.

I recently got some "pinkie" sizes of solar oil to give to clients. Do you build the cost in to your service or charge extra, and if so, which size do you give them? Thanks! x

I was taught to use polish remover to remove oils out of nail plate but polish never lasted long at all. Then was told not to do this as oils in most polish removers and to use a dehydrator which I now do and OMG what a difference. The dehydrator will take the oils from the surface of the nail temporarily. Advise clients to wear gloves and use cuticle oil every day for natural nails, polished nails, gel & acrylic nails, it makes such a difference. I have finally trained my mum and her neighbour to wear gloves when washing up & oil and their flaky chipped nails have changed quite quickly. Also did your mum have chips on her nails to start with, polish will come off the with the chip underneath? x

I use opi, and when ever I do a manicure before I polish I wipe over the nails with polish remover then use a coat of bond aid, base, colour x2 the top coat, use 1 drop of drip dry and my clients get around a week on the hands all depending on how hard they are on the hands and if they follow the correct aftercare advice.

We use bondaid for acrylics. So I will try that thanks x

Are you also sealing the free edge? By sealing the free edge (some call it capping) we find our clients polish lasts longer, we also recommend applying a thin layer of top coat every 2-3 days.

If I could add one more tip that's worked for me: passing a buffing block (240/320 grit) lightly over the surface of the nail place to rough it up VERY slightly, smooth any ridging and to give the polishes (base coat/polish/top coat) a rougher surface to adhere to.

One of my NN manicure ladies has actually gone 2 weeks with her polish with only very slight chipping -- and she's not particularly careful with them, has cancer and is on all kinds of meds.

I use:

base coat: OPI's Natural Nail base coat OR Sally Hansen's Age Correct (*shrug* some of my older ladies like it).
polishes: usually OPI. 2 thin coats.
top coat: OPI RapidDry.

ALWAYS Avoplex. I finish every manicure or enhancement with it and have drilled it into my clients.

Michelle :)

Apparently there is also an OPI product called 'chip skip' (a client used to be a rep for OPI). That might be worth researching :o)

I only ever use OPi, but my base and top coat make it last, Creative Sticky and Speey topcoat, and now new Lumos duo, You can't beat them. My manicures last well over a week with this combination

If I could add one more tip that's worked for me: passing a buffing block (240/320 grit) lightly over the surface of the nail place to rough it up VERY slightly, smooth any ridging and to give the polishes (base coat/polish/top coat) a rougher surface to adhere to.
One of my NN manicure ladies has actually gone 2 weeks with her polish with only very slight chipping -- and she's not particularly careful with them, has cancer and is on all kinds of meds.

I use:

base coat: OPI's Natural Nail base coat OR Sally Hansen's Age Correct (*shrug* some of my older ladies like it).

ALWAYS Avoplex. I finish every manicure or enhancement with it and have drilled it into my clients.

:eek::eek: Seriously this does not need to be done

:eek::eek: Seriously this does not need to be done

Which part does not need to be done? It's how my school taught nail prep, even with natural nail manicures.

If I could add one more tip that's worked for me:
passing a buffing block (240/320 grit) lightly over the surface of the nail place to rough it up VERY slightly, smooth any ridging and to give the polishes (base coat/polish/top coat) a rougher surface to adhere to.

I use:

This bit x

Lightly passing a buffing block? It's working well for me. My results are good.

I use:

There is no need to rough up the nail plate when applying L&P or gel so why do it for an ordinary enamel:irked:, you do not even need to remove the shine, a good base will go over any ridges.

I just do not see it as being a good thing to advise people to do this when in theory its not a wise thing to be doing to a client every time they have a colour change. File shape tidy, remove non living tissue, remove any hang nails, purify nail plate using a somthing such as scrub fresh to remove any oils or contaminants whilst also leaving pathogen fighting agents,,then a good base 2x colour and then good top coat, thin coats working lightly and quickly,,,,,not rocket science no special tricks or short cuts just keep it simple and practise practise how to do a good paint job.

xxx

Apparently there is also an OPI product called 'chip skip' (a client used to be a rep for OPI). That might be worth researching :o)

chip skip is the retail version for clients of bond aid

I clean the nail with polish remover.
Apply Chip n' Skip or BondAid (they are the same).
One coat of base coat (I usually use Nail Envy).
Two coats of polish.
One coat of top coat which I seal the free edge with.
One drop of Drip Dry

My manicure clients last around a week.

I would also not recommend buffing the natural nail, especially for regular manicure clients.

One other thought. Did you buy all your polish from OPI or an authorised dealer? I only ask this because there are lots of fake OPI laquers on auction websites.

There is no need to rough up the nail plate when applying L&P or gel so why do it for an ordinary enamel:irked:, you do not even need to remove the shine, a good base will go over any ridges.

I just do not see it as being a good thing to advise people to do this when in theory its not a wise thing to be doing to a client every time they have a colour change. File shape tidy, remove non living tissue, remove any hang nails, purify nail plate using a somthing such as scrub fresh to remove any oils or contaminants whilst also leaving pathogen fighting agents,,then a good base 2x colour and then good top coat, thin coats working lightly and quickly,,,,,not rocket science no special tricks or short cuts just keep it simple and practise practise how to do a good paint job.
A light buff of the nail plate to remove shine as part of my prep, then yes purifying with a cleanser before polish, resin/powder or gel is what my school taught me.

You're saying basically they taught me wrong?

I clean the nail with polish remover.
Apply Chip n' Skip or BondAid (they are the same).
One coat of base coat (I usually use Nail Envy).
Two coats of polish.
One coat of top coat which I seal the free edge with.
One drop of Drip Dry

My manicure clients last around a week.

I would also not recommend buffing the natural nail, especially for regular manicure clients.

One other thought. Did you buy all your polish from OPI or an authorised dealer? I only ask this because there are lots of fake OPI laquers on auction websites.

You don't agree with a quick pass of the block either?

An authorized dealer of OPI products, yes: Star Bedard - Bienvenue chez Star Bedard.

No sorry i am not saying this. I am just saying that it is not necessary to rough the nail prior to putting enamel on,, either is removing the shine with a block/or board necessary,,,why would you need to do this.

I am not saying anything how you were taught,, do you not know through your own train of thought that this is not necessary and would be detrimental to the health of the natural nail plate long term?

I also find that fast drying top coats tendto chip faster. Find a good top coat that just dries fast in general but is not made to be a rapid drying top coat.

EZ Flow top coat that just dries quicker vs. OPI Rapid Dry that is made o be a astdry top coat

You don't agree with a quick pass of the block either?

An authorized dealer of OPI products, yes: Star Bedard - Bienvenue chez Star Bedard.

Sorry, I was asking the original poster where she bought her polish.

I personally have clients that have manicures every two weeks. If I buffed them everytime before I applied polish they would have very thin nails by the time they grew from cuticle to free edge!

I also find that fast drying top coats tendto chip faster. Find a good top coat that just dries fast in general but is not made to be a rapid drying top coat.

EZ Flow top coat that just dries quicker vs. OPI Rapid Dry that is made o be a astdry top coat

I agree with this too. I use Orly In A Snap. It dries the nail polish quickly but is workable for longer than OPI Rapid Dry.

Latest posts

Back