OPI, Shellac or Bio Sculpture Gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan-Jade

Reaction score
Help Help Help

its a mind field- i am a makeup artist currently from my home salon and i'm hoping to add a nail service to my portfolio

opi , shellac or bisculpture gel

which brand do i choose?
should i offer all 3?
what is the difference between Shellac and opi colour?
is biosculpture a gel and acrylic mix?

sorry if i seem uneducated its all new to me and i would love your professional advice rather than a brand sucking me in with a sales pitch.

Thanks in advance x

I will try to help :

Shellac is a gel polish that has lower levels of gels and don’t require sanding or etching of the nail plate for adhesion. They also have three gel polish systems - Creative Play which is a more traditional gel polish (more gel-longer removal time), Original Shellac and the new Shellac Luxe (no base coat needed and 60 sec removal)
All of them have the same preparation procedure and equipment. Just varies in removal time, strength and some color differences.

OPI - from what I know (and hope an OPI tech will arrest me if I am wrong)
Traditional gel polish in polish bottles. Also if I’m not mistaken they have a line called Axxium who has coloured soak of gels but you will need to apply by brush. An OPI tech would know best.

Bio Sculpture has both a gel polish line in polish bottles called EVO and their traditional color gels in jars that you apply with a brush. (Also here a BioSculpture tech would know best)

If you want to work with L&P (popularly called Acrylics) or gels booth CND and OPI have these enhancement systems.

I believe Bio Sculpture is just a gel based system, but they have products to make enhancements.

I wouldn’t say you would need all three systems starting out. That’s a huge investment booth in product and hardware. You can’t for example use the same lamp with all three brands. And they all have different procedures which is a lot to deal with when starting up.

They are all great brands and have a range of good products so it’s up to your preference and how you want to work. Research them and call their distributors or educators that would be happy to help you learn more about each individual brand and how they work.

Good luck [emoji6]

aw thank you so much for your advice - i'm interested in bio sculpture gel as i read it does not damage the natural nail which i feel is a great selling point - do you advice i do my training with the brand I am hoping to offer?

Yes, definitely train with the brand. It gives you first hand experience with all their techniques and also great follow up. It’s so easy to get habits when you start out that might make problem shooting more difficult. So if you want to use Bio get into their class and training from the start :)

Yes, definitely train with the brand. It gives you first hand experience with all their techniques and also great follow up. It’s so easy to get habits when you start out that might make problem shooting more difficult. So if you want to use Bio get into their class and training from the start :)

Thank you so much for your advice!

If you are not in a hurry, it might be worth visiting the Olympia Beauty show in London from 30/9 to 2/10. You can see different brands, get demo's from their educators and probably find some show offers.

https://www.olympiabeauty.co.uk

Another take on the dilemma worth considering. What is already available and/or oversubscribed in your area? Do you want to offer something fresh in your locality or go with the majority which means you’ll have lots of competition.

When deciding which system I wanted to offer this was one of the factors I considered and a bit of research showed me that about 90% of techs and salons closest to me were offering Shellac which decided me against it. I went for Bio Sculpture instead.

Another take on the dilemma worth considering. What is already available and/or oversubscribed in your area? Do you want to offer something fresh in your locality or go with the majority which means you’ll have lots of competition.

When deciding which system I wanted to offer this was one of the factors I considered and a bit of research showed me that about 90% of techs and salons closest to me were offering Shellac which decided me against it. I went for Bio Sculpture instead.

That’s a very good point! I’ve looked around and from what I can see a lot of places offer opi and a few are offering bio - I have had bio myself before and loved them - I think it’s important to believe in the product/ service you are trying to sell x

Yes you’re right, that’s the other reason I went for Bio. :)

Latest posts

Back